"America's IQ dropped a 100 points" - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Potemkin wrote:No. No, they don't.

Quite correct my friend. Historically speaking I think most rulers who have ruled as ''Dictators'' (nor do I necessarily think of that descriptor of a ruler as bad in itself) have done so being put forwards as a Dictator by the power Elites of a Nation in an emergency situation to protect their interests. An example would be the wealthy and powerful Senators of ancient Rome of the Optimate Party persuading Sulla to become Dictator of Rome, or the plotters who overthrew Allende who settled on Gen. Pinochet at the last moment as their frontman.

The very idea of President Trump as a Dictator is absolute lunacy, so divorced from reality that the holders of such beliefs probably should not watch the mainstream media for their own-and others-good.
annatar1914 wrote:
The very idea of President Trump as a Dictator is absolute lunacy, so divorced from reality that the holders of such beliefs probably should not watch the mainstream media for their own-and others-good.

Not what I said.

I said he is trying to become a dictator. This is a well known, and too often trod, path to hell.

It's also simple, you undermine or crush whatever stands in your way. For example, both Erdogan and Putin had to dominate the justice system, and make it serve them. Which is what Trump has been doing.

This is painfully obvious, if one does not have an axe to grind. Perhaps yours was made in Russia.
annatar1914 wrote:Quite correct my friend. Historically speaking I think most rulers who have ruled as ''Dictators'' (nor do I necessarily think of that descriptor of a ruler as bad in itself) have done so being put forwards as a Dictator by the power Elites of a Nation in an emergency situation to protect their interests. An example would be the wealthy and powerful Senators of ancient Rome of the Optimate Party persuading Sulla to become Dictator of Rome, or the plotters who overthrew Allende who settled on Gen. Pinochet at the last moment as their frontman.

Precisely. Dictators tend, in general, to be highly intelligent and competent people. Trump is neither intelligent nor competent - he's such an obvious bumbling buffoon that the idea that he could successfully impose a dictatorship on the United States is actually laughable. No, if and when a dictatorship ever comes to the USA - and I strongly suspect that it will, sooner than most people realise - it won't be Trump who imposes it.

Yes I was using the word fun, loosely , ironicall[…]

Trans people are just people. They have no less an[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You should impose your own standards on yourself.[…]

No, I want you to be happy. I will be happy when[…]