Extinction Rebellion: Climate protest brings London to standstill - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15046893
Your statement about Germany was accurate only if this was 2007. It is not.
On 26 January 2019, a group of federal and state leaders as well as industry representatives, environmentalists, and scientists made an agreement to close all 84 coal plants in the country by 2038. The move is projected to cost €40 billion in compensation alone to closed businesses. Coal was used to generate almost 40% of the country's electricity in 2018 and is expected to be replaced by renewable energy. 24 coal plants are planned to be closed by 2022 with all but 8 closed by 2030. The final date is expected to be assessed every 3 years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Germany

Your claim of more coal plants being built is patently false, and you need to rely on insults to press your conspiracy theories. Pretty lame.
#15046903
You "news" isn't even this year, and that doesn't mean that they won't be closing those facilities down, as they planned, this year. Your source does not dispute mine, and calling my source unreliable beggars the question about your source.
#15046916
Godstud wrote:You "news" isn't even this year, and that doesn't mean that they won't be closing those facilities down, as they planned, this year. Your source does not dispute mine, and calling my source unreliable beggars the question about your source.



"Germany Is a Coal-Burning, Gas-Guzzling Climate Change Hypocrite"

Quote: - Germany’s image as selfless defender of the climate, is a transparent fiction. Germany has fallen badly behind on its pledges to sink its own greenhouse gas pollutants. In fact, Germany’s carbon emissions haven’t declined for nearly a decade and the German Environment Agency calculated that Germany emitted 906 million tons of CO2 in 2016 — the highest in Europe — compared to 902 million in 2015. And 2017’s interim numbers suggest emissions are going to tick up again this [Last] year...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/11/13/ge ... hypocrite/

Unlike Germany the UK has a very good record on emissions reduction, I think someone should point this out to clueless extinction rebellion muppets the next time they create more pollution by bringing traffic in London to standstill.
#15046927
Image

As you can see, we emit a lot more per capita (and in total) than the Germans.

Image

Germany has been reducing emissions since the 1980s.

Image

While our carbon emissions have remained high.

Yes, Germany is having trouble meeting it's targets. But your whine is disingenuous in the extreme. They are working the problem, we are not.

You are addicted to excuses, and as an addict, you need to inject an excuse, regardless of how lame it is.
#15050348
late wrote:Image

This chart ignores one very important thing: more than half of the Chinese total of CO2 is created making products for the West, which has almost no industry left.

So while Red Rackham tries to sell the UK as some kind of model, if it were to try to live without Chinese exports, it would stop having a modern economy very rapidly.

Virtually all of the emissions of modern rich countries is burned up in giant vehicles, flying all over the world, or eating enough meat to replace ourselves by weight every fortnight. This is not the same kind of "carbon emissions" as China's, which are productive for everyone, and need to be calculated as such.

Complaining about China's pollution of itself as it races to produce every useful product on earth, is like complaining that your slave is making too much noise as he mows your lawn, cuts your nails, and raises your children for you.
#15050351
QatzelOk wrote:
This chart ignores one very important thing: more than half of the Chinese total of CO2 is created making products for the West, which has almost no industry left.

So while Red Rackham tries to sell the UK as some kind of model, if it were to try to live without Chinese exports, it would stop having a modern economy very rapidly.

Virtually all of the emissions of modern rich countries is burned up in giant vehicles, flying all over the world, or eating enough meat to replace ourselves by weight every fortnight. This is not the same kind of "carbon emissions" as China's, which are productive for everyone, and need to be calculated as such.

Complaining about China's pollution of itself as it races to produce every useful product on earth, is like complaining that your slave is making too much noise as he mows your lawn, cuts your nails, and raises your children for you.



Good point.

Looks like we need Paris 2, and hopefully America won't run and hide this time.
#15050360
QatzelOk wrote:This chart ignores one very important thing: more than half of the Chinese total of CO2 is created making products for the West, which has almost no industry left.


Although this is true, the burden for Chinese CO2 doesn't entirely fall on the west either. China has an incentive to do this as well. It's not like they are a slave to the west. Their motivation is earning the money that funds its hegemonic vision. In short, it's two sides of a (capitalism) coin, and everyone is responsible.

I'm a big believer in changing the global economic system. In such a way that it doesn't require massive amounts of consumption (and waste) just to keep it afloat. The whole thing is just disgusting.
#15050617
About China's CO2 volume being affected by the products it cheaply makes for well-armed Western nations, Rancid wrote:It's not like they are a slave to the west.


"It's not like they are a slave to the west."
- Rancid, 2019

What you're saying here is radical.

Are you suggesting that there are still a few "sovereign nations" out there? :eh:

With all the Western-sponsored revolutions, civil wars, NATO terror groups, sanctions, global media lies, spying rings, extortion rings, and all its other extreme and violent atrocities at a huge global scale, you're going to have to prove or at least justify this very radical statement.

Al Gore is the current high priest of the global[…]

Turn, turn, turn

@late Whom are you trying to convince? Tru[…]

Nope. Nope. Schiff's "political action"[…]

This means that going forward every Republican (ma[…]