How to become an EU citizen - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
JohnRawls wrote:Small note for you. EU allows for dual citizenship with no problem but EU doesn't allow you to have 2 citizenships within the EU. (You can't be both Germand and French citizen for example).

That seems wrong. Citizenship policy is decided by each member state and any restrictions derive from there, e.g. in your example above it's Germany which doesn't allow dual citizenship (with a few exceptions). You can be an Irish and British citizen just fine because both countries allow it.
By chrisw
JohnRawls wrote:The combined upfront financial requirement, including applicable government charges and citizenship application fees, is just under EUR 900,000. These costs will increase slightly depending on the family size.

I believe that is the old number. Now it's €1,150,000!

Malta’s direct citizenship by investment has a few straightforward requirements. The investment requirements are:

* Buy a property worth at least €350,000 or lease one for at least €16,000 per year. This commitment must be kept for five years.
* Hold government bonds or securities traded on Malta’s stock exchange (approved by the Maltese government as beneficial to the country) that are worth at least €150,000.
* Contribute €650,000 to Malta’s National Development and Social Fund.

https://maltaguides.co/citizenship-pass ... nvestment/
Any citizenship which can be purchased isn't a citizenship worth having...
BigSteve wrote:Any citizenship which can be purchased isn't a citizenship worth having...

To become a US citizen you effectively have to buy it as well. Lots of H1Bs I work with pay taxes on things like social security and medicare, and they cannot take advantage of it. Also, once they become a permanent resident, everything they previous paid into the system, doesn't count towards their future benefits. Their 10 credits start only after they become a permanent resident. Thus all the previous years they paid, go poof!

This is intentional to siphon money from people that are in line to become citizens.

So... even US citizenship is bought.
BigSteve wrote:Any citizenship which can be purchased isn't a citizenship worth having...

I hope you do understand that you can buy a US citizenship also.
JohnRawls wrote:I hope you do understand that you can buy a US citizenship also.

Who does the check get written to?
BigSteve wrote:Who does the check get written to?

Basically the same way as the Maltese scheme. So i guess private business or the government.
JohnRawls wrote:Basically the same way as the Maltese scheme. So i guess private business or the government.

I'm unfamiliar with the "Maltese scheme".

You can't write a check to the US government and buy your citizenship...
BigSteve wrote:I'm unfamiliar with the "Maltese scheme".

You can't write a check to the US government and buy your citizenship...

You basically invest around 1 000 000 USD/EUR in to Maltese or in case US then US business. It can go through investment firms or I think you can also pay the government directly. On the last one I am not so sure. Fill in a form with legal help for 30 000 USD/EUR and then wait for a year or two.
JohnRawls wrote:You basically invest around 1 000 000 USD/EUR in to Maltese or in case US then US business. It can go through investment firms or I think you can also pay the government directly. On the last one I am not so sure. Fill in a form with legal help for 30 000 USD/EUR and then wait for a year or two.

I'm sorry, but none of that makes any sense whatsoever...
BigSteve wrote:I'm sorry, but none of that makes any sense whatsoever...

What you mean it doesn't make sense. The schemes exist. How can they not make sense?
JohnRawls wrote:What you mean it doesn't make sense. The schemes exist. How can they not make sense?

I'm not talking about "schemes". That smacks of illegality.

I'd imagine there are mud-hut countries in this world where, if you give the government enough money, they'll simply make you a citizen. The United States isn't one of those countries...
Last edited by BigSteve on 09 Dec 2019 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
@BigSteve You're living in a mud-hut country, I guess. :lol:

5 Best Ways For Investors To Immigrate To The United States
1) Invest $500,000 U.S. in an EB-5 government-approved regional center for a period of about five years. In around 18 months, you obtain conditional green cards that entitle you and your immediate family to enter the U.S. You can live, work and study anywhere in the country and there are no education, age or English language requirements.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemot ... 233e4794d8
Godstud wrote:@BigSteve You're living in a mud-hut country, I guess. :lol:

5 Best Ways For Investors To Immigrate To The United States
1) [i]Invest $500,000 U.S. in an EB-5 government-approved regional center for a period of about five years. In around 18 months, you obtain conditional green cards that entitle you and your immediate family to enter the U.S. You can live, work and study anywhere in the country and there are no education, age or English language requirements.

I guess I missed the word "citizenship" in there.

I have a friend who came here from Australia some years back. He had six grand in his pocket. He's often said that the greatest accomplishment of his life was going through the process to become an American citizen.

He renounced his Australian citizenship immediately prior to being sworn in as an American citizen.

Citizenship is a whole lot different, and better, than a green card...
Yes, you can buy your way into U.S. citizenship. ... The EB-5 investor visa offers permanent U.S. residency and eventually citizenship when a person invests between US$500,000 and US$1-million in a new commercial enterprise that produces at least 10 full-time jobs.

The program is becoming popular among Canadians with financial means, experts say, from retirees who want to live for extended periods south of the border to families that eventually want their children to be able to study and work there.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investi ... tizenship/

So, I guess all you need is a lot of money to become American. You're wrong, @BigSteve.
Godstud wrote:Yes, you can buy your way into U.S. citizenship. ... The EB-5 investor visa offers permanent U.S. residency and eventually citizenship when a person invests between US$500,000 and US$1-million in a new commercial enterprise that produces at least 10 full-time jobs.

The program is becoming popular among Canadians with financial means, experts say, from retirees who want to live for extended periods south of the border to families that eventually want their children to be able to study and work there.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investi ... tizenship/

So, I guess all you need is a lot of money to become American. You're wrong, @BigSteve.

It takes a lot more than money...
:roll: You're wrong. I just provided a source that demonstrates that. You did nothing except state your uninformed opinion, a second time.

A Green Card is the first step to citizenship.

How Chinese millionaires buy U.S. citizenship
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/chin ... itizenship
Godstud wrote::roll: You're wrong. I just provided a source that demonstrates that. You did nothing except state your uninformed opinion, a second time.

A Green Card is the first step to citizenship.

Well, no shit...

It's the first step to citizenship. It is not, however, citizenship.

Don't worry, I know you're incapable of admitting that you're wrong, but everyone here knows it anyway...

Muscovite’s Slaughter of Indigenous People in Alas[…]

You Zionists just can't stop lying can you. It wa[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]

No, it doesn't. The US also wants to see Hamas top[…]