Narcissists, Sociopaths and Psychopaths? What is the difference? Explaination. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Finfinder wrote:Apparently studying Psychology is a complete waste of time, all we need is a couple of videos, and a Google search and you can come up with an expert diagnosis without ever talking to or examining a person.

Most people learn basic psychology by experience, not degree.

Also the Internet does act like that. You can study anything you want to at home.

I knew a friend who read the complete works of Karl Jung, and knew everything off by heart. Does that make him a professional? No, and it also doesn't make his knowledge of the science up-to-date either since Jung might have founded the profession but there's been many more interesting psychologists since him. But my friend certainly read more about psychology than most University Educated Psychologists have, simply by reading the entire collective works of Jung.
@Tainari88

I have met some psychopaths and narcissists. You can meet some in the infantry in the Army (pyschopaths). Most soldiers are not that way but given the nature of the profession of soldiering you do meet a few (there is only one reason why a soldier is there and that is to kill the enemy). The corporate world is full of psychopaths (more so than in the Army infantry in my opinion).

Smart psychopaths go into the corporate world to obtain power and I think psychopaths tend to be smart and intelligent which is why you find most of them in the corporate world. They are also backstabbers and tend to be the ones to get promoted which makes sense since psychopaths desire power over others so they know how to craftily manipulate the situation and people as well as backstab to get promoted to positions of power.

My ex wife was a very beautiful narcissist but you know how the old saying goes, beauty is not skin deep. That's why I divorced her. She didn't want the divorce and she also liked looking good all the time. Most narcissists try very hard to look good. She was bringing me down so she had to go. I didn't know what a narcissist was back then but I know now. I just sensed "something wasn't right" or that "this isn't normal" and knew she needed help. But she would never get the help she needed so I divorced her and that was the end. Now I am married to a wonderful woman with a the warmest loving heart I could ever want. The sweetest woman in the world. Very lucky to have her.

Then there is my mother, who has borderline personality disorder because she was abandoned by her biological mother when she was a kid. She sat in court and listened to her biological mother tell the judge "she didn't love her kids." So my mother became a foster child for a while until her biological father's sister took her in on her farm and raised her. But the damage to my mother was done and my mother refuses to believe she has a problem.

But I know she does and she has all the symptoms for borderline personality disorder and she most certain has the classic causes for borderline personality like being abandon by your biological mother at a young age in childhood to where you can still remember it. But don't tell her that, she thinks she's fine and any notion that she has borderline personality disorder is BS to her even though I know she is wrong and in denial.

Then of course there is me. I am not screwed up at all. I have perfect mental health. Only other people have mental health problems. Didn't you know!? At least that's what everybody thinks! Ha ha hah! Just kidding. I got a PTSD diagnosis a year after my discharge from the army from my time seeing combat in Afghanistan. So, I have seen my fair share of screwed up people and have been screwed up myself. That's life though. It's how you choose to respond to it that matters.

They say you can't diagnose anybody unless you are a full fledged doctor in psychology which is probably true. But I also know it's true that for me to understand that my car has engine trouble when I see a bunch of smoke coming out of the engine I don't need to be a certified mechanic to know something is not right with the engine. I might even have a good idea of what is wrong with the engine even though I am not a certified mechanic.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 07 Dec 2019 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
colliric wrote:Most people learn basic psychology by experience, not degree.

Also the Internet does act like that. You can study anything you want to at home.

I knew a friend who read the complete works of Karl Jung, and knew everything off by heart. Does that make him a professional? No, and it also doesn't make his knowledge of the science up-to-date either since Jung might have founded the profession but there's been many more interesting psychologists since him. But my friend certainly read more about psychology than most University Educated Psychologists have, simply by reading the entire collective works of Jung.

Several years ago my daughter got a 1st in psychology, she has since worked in PR. She assures me it's related, but for me, studying psychology for three years doesn't equate to her job. She promotes big names and travels a bit, but I cant see how staying in full time education until she was 21 equates with her job. In my opinion, and I accept I know nothing about psychology or PR, her qualifications are wasted. Maybe I should read Jung.
Potemkin wrote:Bill Clinton was and probably still is just as narcissistic and, yes, sociopathic as Donald Trump. He was just better at hiding it, due to his more polished social skills. I can't understand why so many people were taken in by Bill Clinton. I couldn't understand it back in the 1990s, and I still can't understand it.

I never liked the 'power couple' Bill and Hillary Clinton. Classic ego driven Machiavellian politicos for sure Potemkin!

That entire Clinton presidency was of extremely underhanded behavior. Talk about two faced politicians? They were the experts.
Red Rackham wrote:Several years ago my daughter got a 1st in psychology, she has since worked in PR. She assures me it's related, but for me, studying psychology for three years doesn't equate to her job. She promotes big names and travels a bit, but I cant see how staying in full time education until she was 21 equates with her job. In my opinion, and I accept I know nothing about psychology or PR, her qualifications are wasted. Maybe I should read Jung.

True psychologists that are original thinkers are very intelligent and creative. Carl Jung was one of the greats. He did discover very relevant things like Dream analysis, and universal archetypes. Those hold up under scientific examination. But human psychology is very different than say animal psychology. It is very interesting. The most fascinating studies on primates were done by Jane Goodall. There used to be myths about humans were the only primate who was a carnivore. No. Not true. Myths about only humans made tools to get something from their environments. Not true. Myths about going to war. No that also is not true. Myth about depression and suicide. No, chimps do that too. In fact only about two characteristics are absolutely human only without a doubt. Everything else is shared with the animal world and primarily our cousins the chimps, bonobos and gorillas, and orangutans.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Tainari88

I have met some psychopaths and narcissists. You can meet some in the infantry in the Army (pyschopaths). Most soldiers are not that way but given the nature of the profession of soldiering you do meet a few (there is only one reason why a soldier is there and that is to kill the enemy). The corporate world is full of psychopaths (more so than in the Army infantry in my opinion).

Smart psychopaths go into the corporate world to obtain power and I think psychopaths tend to be smart and intelligent which is why you find most of them in the corporate world. They are also backstabbers and tend to be the ones to get promoted which makes sense since psychopaths desire power over others so they know how to craftily manipulate the situation and people as well as backstab to get promoted to positions of power.

My ex wife was a very beautiful narcissist but you know how the old saying goes, beauty is not skin deep. That's why I divorced her. She didn't want the divorce and she also liked looking good all the time. Most narcissists try very hard to look good. She was bringing me down so she had to go. I didn't know what a narcissist was back then but I know now. I just sensed "something wasn't right" or that "this isn't normal" and knew she needed help. But she would never get the help she needed so I divorced her and that was the end. Now I am married to a wonderful woman with a the warmest loving heart I could ever want. The sweetest woman in the world. Very lucky to have her.

Then there is my mother, who has borderline personality disorder because she was abandoned by her biological mother when she was a kid. She sat in court and listened to her biological mother tell the judge "she didn't love her kids." So my mother became a foster child for a while until her biological father's sister took her in on her farm and raised her. But the damage to my mother was done and my mother refuses to believe she has a problem.

But I know she does and she has all the symptoms for borderline personality disorder and she most certain has the classic causes for borderline personality like being abandon by your biological mother at a young age in childhood to where you can still remember it. But don't tell her that, she thinks she's fine and any notion that she has borderline personality disorder is BS to her even though I know she is wrong and in denial.

Then of course there is me. I am not screwed up at all. I have perfect mental health. Only other people have mental health problems. Didn't you know!? At least that's what everybody thinks! Ha ha hah! Just kidding. I got a PTSD diagnosis a year after my discharge from the army from my time seeing combat in Afghanistan. So, I have seen my fair share of screwed up people and have been screwed up myself. That's life though. It's how you choose to respond to it that matters.

They say you can't diagnose anybody unless you are a full fledged doctor in psychology which is probably true. But I also know it's true that for me to understand that my car has engine trouble when I see a bunch of smoke coming out of the engine I don't need to be a certified mechanic to know something is not right with the engine. I might even have a good idea of what is wrong with the engine even though I am not a certified mechanic.

People might think psychology is pseudo science and that is invalid. But there has been a long history of dealing with mental illness and the treatments for it. And the most important thing to remember is that the human brain is malleable and always flexible and can change with efforts and behavior treatments.

It doesn't matter what you want to change? You can reach it with efforts and concentration and forming patterns in the brain. It is not easy but it can be accomplished.

The psychologist did discuss the issues with those three types of personalities and their disorders Political Observer.

Many men also make the mistake of marrying women who are wrong for them because they are pretty or say all the right things. But for me what is inside a person's character. Deepest character? That is the most vital part of knowing if the relationship is going to work or not.

One also has to acknowledge one's flaws and defects and accept you have them and start working on them. If you conquer them with behavior modification there is nothing better in the world than to feel you have conquered a defect you have identified in yourself and have seen a big change for the positive. It is wonderful!
Tainari88 wrote:Did you know anyone from this profile?

;)

Well Joe Biden obviously springs to mind. The angry way he reacts to questioning about his sons activities in the Ukraine is typical narcissistic behaviour. How dare these upstart citizens question his highness's or his famiys motivations or competency. The assumption that every young woman wants to "come to Daddy" for a hug is another sign of quite well developed narcissism.
Potemkin wrote:Bill Clinton was and probably still is just as narcissistic and, yes, sociopathic as Donald Trump. He was just better at hiding it, due to his more polished social skills. I can't understand why so many people were taken in by Bill Clinton. I couldn't understand it back in the 1990s, and I still can't understand it.

Would you rather prefer anyone with a lack of social skills? Social skills and charm are so bourgeois. :lol:
Tainari88 wrote:True psychologists that are original thinkers are very intelligent and creative. Carl Jung was one of the greats. He did discover very relevant things like Dream analysis, and universal archetypes. Those hold up under scientific examination. But human psychology is very different than say animal psychology. It is very interesting. The most fascinating studies on primates were done by Jane Goodall. There used to be myths about humans were the only primate who was a carnivore. No. Not true. Myths about only humans made tools to get something from their environments. Not true. Myths about going to war. No that also is not true. Myth about depression and suicide. No, chimps do that too. In fact only about two characteristics are absolutely human only without a doubt. Everything else is shared with the animal world and primarily our cousins the chimps, bonobos and gorillas, and orangutans.

Tainari, what two characteristics are absolutely [Uniquely?] human?..
Red Rackham wrote:Tainari, what two characteristics are absolutely [Uniquely?] human?..

Well two of them are interesting. One of them is having the ability to store external information like libraries and artworks that are complex. Complex mathematics as well.

We have voice boxes which enable us to develop speech with a complexity that is interesting and varied. Chimps and other primates lack vocal chords that are complex and refined and voice boxes. But bonobos do understand human language if exposed to it early in life. They can't produce it but they understand it. Our battery for understanding human language is innate in our species. It is interesting.

The other is oppositional thumbs. We are unique in that. Bipedalism or commitment to bipedalism as a species is another.

We are the only species that organizes stories into traditional things. We also cook our food (other primates might attempt to process the food in some way but manipulating fire to do so? Not really). It makes us unique Red Rackham.
;)
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

ISIS wants to create a division between Chechens […]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]