Save the planet: Attack Christmas - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
We need a real War on Christmas . . . shopping. We can help clean the planet by reducing gift-giving during the holidays.

Household waste increases by 25 percent between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day: an extra one million tons a week in US landfills, much of it merchandise boxes, gift wrapping and discarded Christmas trees.

Nearly 60 percent of Americans receive unwanted gifts during the holidays, of which $90 billion worth are returned. And half of that winds up in landfills because it is often cheaper for a retailer to trash an item than resell it. That’s a lot of energy and resources totally wasted. And, of course, there are the millions of gallons of gasoline consumed by people shopping for gifts.

One way to alleviate the problem is to buy people gift cards that are redeemable at “big box” stores so people can use the cards to buy essentials like groceries or take their time to buy what they really want or need. Or we could limit gift-giving to children. How about “Christmas is for Kids” as a slogan?
Yea, I can't agree with this.

The latest trend in kids todays are these stupid surprise boxes. I'm pretty sure those stupid little things generate even more waste. Just cause there's so many of them.
Robert Urbanek wrote:Household waste increases by 25 percent between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day: an extra one million tons a week in US landfills, much of it merchandise boxes, gift wrapping and discarded Christmas trees.

Not sure what the problem is. A discarded Christmas tree will break down over time and become fertilizer...

Nearly 60 percent of Americans receive unwanted gifts during the holidays, of which $90 billion worth are returned. And half of that winds up in landfills because it is often cheaper for a retailer to trash an item than resell it.

Can you cite a reference for this? I've neverheard of any retailer everdoing that...

One way to alleviate the problem is to buy people gift cards that are redeemable at “big box” stores...

Why? So the small, independent retailers can go out of business?

so people can use the cards to buy essentials like groceries or take their time to buy what they really want or need.

What of what someone needs isn't available at a big box store?

Or we could limit gift-giving to children. How about “Christmas is for Kids” as a slogan?

So those who, perhaps, are unable to have children shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the season?

I'm sure you've had a lot of bad ideas. These are obviously a few more...
BigSteve wrote:Not sure what the problem is. A discarded Christmas tree will break down over time and become fertilizer...

Can you cite a reference for this? I've neverheard of any retailer everdoing that...

Why? So the small, independent retailers can go out of business?

What of what someone needs isn't available at a big box store?

So those who, perhaps, are unable to have children shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the season?

I'm sure you've had a lot of bad ideas. These are obviously a few more...

Source for returns being trashed:
https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/26/news/retail-returns-landfill/index.html

You can buy from small businesses or on-line anytime of the year with your own money.

Childless couples can enjoy a gift-less Christmas the same way they can enjoy a gift-less Thanksgiving.
Robert Urbanek wrote:Source for returns being trashed:
https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/26/news/retail-returns-landfill/index.html

"And ifit's cheaper for the retailer to throw out returned goods rather try to resell them, they end up in the trash. "

That's a pretty big "if"...

You can buy from small businesses or on-line anytime of the year with your own money.

I know this. The beauty of having my own money is that I can spend it anywhere I want, anytime I want.

Would you allow big box stores to operate only during the holiday season?

Childless couples can enjoy a gift-less Christmas the same way they can enjoy a gift-less Thanksgiving.

Why should they? Why shouldn't couples who have kids have to explain that they're getting shit for Christmas because someone's mad because some toys end up in the dump?
BigSteve wrote:"And ifit's cheaper for the retailer to throw out returned goods rather try to resell them, they end up in the trash. "

That's a pretty big "if"...

It's more than an "if." The source clearly stated "5 billion pounds of returned items end up in the trash heap"
My plan to “destroy” Christmas is coming true with the help of COVID-19, which has disrupted the gift-giving supply chain. I notice the news media is simply advising people to buy early instead of taking the more practical step of just giving people gift cards. But, of course, the news media is beholden to their advertising masters.
That "buy early" shit is a fucking scam and a lie. Fuck Christmas, and fuck all the stupid ass corporations encouraging people to buy.

It's all a bunch of shit. Fuck amazon, fuck walmart, fuck target, fuck them all.
Can foreigners buy land in China? If so, the best gift for your children is to gift them a parcel of land dirt cheap in some undeveloped part of China and wait, for in 20 years China will build a state of the art modern infrastructure there, which in turn will move the prices of that land astronomically.

With one gift you secure your child's future and instill the deep seated loyalty for the CPC, two birds, one stone, win-win. 8)

There are many ways to approach a construction si[…]

Looks to me as though he's getting paid for every […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I disagree with this, but I also don't think &quo[…]

The actual argument (that the definition is being[…]