The number of homeless children is going up - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"In 1988, families accounted for about 1% of people experiencing homelessness; now, it’s about 36%.”

This has a number of causes. The overarching problem is income inequality, of course. As the rich steal an ever larger share of the economy, there is less for everyone else, and every year, more become too poor to pay for basic things like shelter.

But it's also because the wealthy give money to local politicians, and the poor do not. So instead of a free, competitive, market, what most cities have is a rigged market. That's why most cities have apartment shortages, pushing costs up for renters.

Clinton's so called 'Welfare Reform' was the opposite of what it claimed to be. Congress has been very careful not to fund research into how that worked out. (There has been research, not a pretty picture).

The first step would be to require rental markets be competitive, not rigged.

But fixing the problem that the rich have created will require considerably more.

https://www.samhsa.gov/homelessness-programs-resources/hpr-resources/child-homelessness-growing-crisis
I find the lack of response, interesting, and telling.

What we have is a national emergency, poverty is more damaging to a child than being born addicted to cocaine. Having so many families be homeless is going to cost us massively when those kids wind up in prison, among other things.

What Warren and Sanders propose would help, but even Warren doesn't talk about the severity of the problem.

But I suspect this is a symptom of a larger problem, of a country where the rich hold the power, and for them out of sight is mostly out of mind. I'm not entirely sure of that, of why there is silence on so many things the country needs. But to say I am disappointed would be an understatement.

Another resource of degenerates who want to watch […]

There are many ways to approach a construction si[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I disagree with this, but I also don't think &quo[…]

The actual argument (that the definition is being[…]