The new silent majority - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By jimjam
Back in the 1980's Republicans came upon a catch phrase : "The silent majority" to define themselves. Todays Trump/Republican party is hardly silent nor a majority. Donald's admirers generally consist of the not too swift and easily conned gathered together wearing red beanies and screaming. Hardly silent. Majority? Donald lost the popular vote by 2,870,000 votes. The 2018 election returned the House to the Democrats by an overwhelming majority. NOT ONCE has Donald's approval rating exceeded 50%. Donald just became the 3rd president in the history of the republic to be impeached by a majority of members of the House each having been voted into office by a majority of voters in their respective districts.

Seems ironic but not surprising that the "Silent Majority" of 40 years ago has morphed into the "Very Noisy Minority" of today.

The noise making minority ^
jimjam wrote:Back in the 1980's Republicans came upon a catch phrase : "The silent majority" to define themselves. Todays Trump/Republican party is hardly silent nor a majority. Donald's admirers generally consist of the not too swift and easily conned gathered together wearing red beanies and screaming. Hardly silent. Majority? Donald lost the popular vote by 2,870,000 votes. The 2018 election returned the House to the Democrats by an overwhelming majority. NOT ONCE has Donald's approval rating exceeded 50%. Donald just became the 3rd president in the history of the republic to be impeached by a majority of members of the House each having been voted into office by a majority of voters in their respective districts.

Seems ironic but not surprising that the "Silent Majority" of 40 years ago has morphed into the "Very Noisy Minority" of today.

The noise making minority ^

You will no longer be able to use the excuse of the popular vote vs the Electoral College
without appearing dumb or dishonest.

jimjam wrote:He lost the popular vote by 2,870,000 votes.

Doesn't matter. Your would-be queen lost to a reality television star...

NOT ONCE has Donald's approval rating exceeded 50%.

Polls are pretty meaningless. At one point George H. W. Bush had an approval rating of 89% and the guy couldn't get re-elected...

Donald just became the 3rd president in the history of the republic to be impeached by a majority of members of the House each having been voted into office by a majority of voters in their respective districts.

It was almost straight down party lines, so that's pretty meaningless. Let's not ignore that there were three Democratic defectors and one who voted "present".

Also, let's not ignore the fact that the first two Presidents to be impeached were both democrats...

And that noisy minority is poised to find the President not guilty, rendering the entire impeachment debacle moot...
jimjam wrote:Majority? Donald lost the popular vote by 2,870,000 votes. The 2018 election returned the House to the Democrats by an overwhelming majority.

I don't think there's a silent majority pining to get Hillary up on that tarnished throne either.

NOT ONCE has Donald's approval rating exceeded 50%

Most world leaders are unpopular a few months after they're elected. It's because elections are more of a con than an actual debate that the public always gets buyers' remorse. Donald and Hillary were competing brands of the same product, and not debating different visions of the future.

the "Silent Majority" of 40 years ago has morphed into the "Very Noisy Minority" of today.

The expression "silent majority" is an easy way to pretend to have support for something where no real support is visible (it's hidden and silent. shhhh....).

Donald Trump is just the latest strategy of the ruling elite. The only thing that makes him "different" than Hillary is that Trump occasionally goes "off teleprompter." But even these "spontaneous moments" are probably just written in a different color ink on the teleprompter.
QatzelOk wrote:I don't think there's a silent majority pining to get Hillary up on that tarnished throne either.

for sure. I personally find her to be a miserable bitch.

QatzelOk wrote:Most world leaders are unpopular a few months after they're elected. It's because elections are more of a con than an actual debate that the public always gets buyers' remorse. Donald and Hillary were competing brands of the same product, and not debating different visions of the future.

Agree ….. Donald's buyers remorse seems, however, unending for over 50%.

QatzelOk wrote:The expression "silent majority" is an easy way to pretend to have support for something where no real support is visible (it's hidden and silent. shhhh....).

Agree again. The reason I threw this out there is that I find it really comical that the "silent majority" Republicans have morphed into the conned minority (and, yes, all politicians are con artists but Donald is the best I have ever seen at reading and conning the suckers):

The former "silent majority" ^ :lol: The new "silent majority" is (shhhhh!) the anti-Donald "base".
jimjam wrote:Back in the 1980's Republicans came upon a catch phrase : "The silent majority" to define themselves.

Silent Majority
The silent majority is an unspecified large group of people in a country or group who do not express their opinions publicly.[1] The term was popularized by U.S. President Richard Nixon in a televised address on November 3, 1969, in which he said, "And so tonight—to you, the great silent majority of my fellow Americans—I ask for your support." [2][3] In this usage it referred to those Americans who did not join in the large demonstrations against the Vietnam War at the time, who did not join in the counterculture, and who did not participate in public discourse. Nixon, along with many others, saw this group of Middle Americans as being overshadowed in the media by the more vocal minority.

I was about a month shy of my 2nd birthday, probably sucking on a bottle in Berkeley, California, when Nixon uttered those words. I guess you must have been at an anti-Vietnam demonstration if you think it became popular in the 1980s. :lol: :hippy: Lot of hippies where I spent my childhood...

jimjam wrote:Todays Trump/Republican party is hardly silent nor a majority.

No. They are no longer silent, but they do represent the largest swathe of the country.

jimjam wrote:The 2018 election returned the House to the Democrats by an overwhelming majority.

Not that overwhelming. 218 votes is a majority in the House. Democrats reliably have about 233. So a loss of 16 seats would leave them in the minority again. There are at least 30 vulnerable seats, and some are speculating the Republicans could pick up as many as 50 seats. That may be a bit optimistic, but it would not surprise me to see Nancy Pelosi handing over the gavel again.

BigSteve wrote:Your would-be queen lost to a reality television star...

That never gets old. When I think back on Trump beating Hillary Clinton, I still think it has to be the greatest political upset of my lifetime by far.

BigSteve wrote:Your would-be queen lost to a reality television star...

Yep, and his son got re-elected with polls regularly under 50%.

QatzelOk wrote:The expression "silent majority" is an easy way to pretend to have support for something where no real support is visible (it's hidden and silent. shhhh....).

It's also because people don't want to be harassed in restaurants, have their car paint scratched or tires slashed by Democrats/Antifa types. I voted for Trump--as pointless as that is in California--but I didn't put a Trump sign on my front porch or on my car bumper. Democrats/Antifa are very violent and irrational people in my area of the country.
By jimjam
blackjack21 wrote:I was about a month shy of my 2nd birthday, probably sucking on a bottle in Berkeley, California, when Nixon uttered those words. I guess you must have been at an anti-Vietnam demonstration if you think it became popular in the 1980s. Lot of hippies where I spent my childhood...

More arrogant dumb shit from B.J.21

I am 75 years old, suffer from seizures and will get, if I am lucky, to watch my memory/brain decline until I reach the grave. I will, however, endeavor to improve the details of my clerical accuracy for folks like you to whom the conceptual aspect of a discussion is moot. I thought hippies were overly dramatic and clannish. I avoided them. When I attended Woodstock I went by myself and hung out by myself. Were you one of those assholes who thought it was a good idea that 58,220 of America's youth were sent to a jungle and slaughtered on the other side of the world to protect America from Communism? I think you need to book a room at a beach front Hilton in Vietnam and chill B.J. chill.
By late
jimjam wrote:
I am 75 years old, suffer from seizures and will get, if I am lucky, to watch my memory/brain decline until I reach the grave. I thought hippies were overly dramatic and clannish. I avoided them. When I attended Woodstock I went by myself and hung out by myself. Were you one of those assholes who thought it was a good idea that 58,220 of America's youth were sent to a jungle and slaughtered on the other side of the world to protect America from Communism? I think you need to book a room at a beach front Hilton in Vietnam and chill B.J. chill.

A lot of hippies were assholes.

There were a lot that weren't, like Wavy Gravy, but in terms of the guys I ran into, oh yeah.

Tell BJ I was not only a Nam protester, but because of it the FBI followed me around for years. Which didn't make a lot of sense, because I am not far from being a pacifist. "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

The forum I was at before this had a guy my age, that tried to defend Vietnam. But the result so tortured common sense, I was embarrassed for him.
blackjack21 wrote:It's also because people don't want to be harassed in restaurants, have their car paint scratched or tires slashed by Democrats/Antifa types.

Is there a silent majority who, like you, live in silent fear of Antifa types?

Or are the silent Antifa types a silent majority who is silently out to get you?

Also, why is everyone so silent? Is it because they never get out of their cars or cubicles or houses, have no communities anymore or public spaces, and therefore are politically silent?

Doesn't this silence give a Silent Majority of Stealth Con-men an easy way to fake popularity and pillage the silenced society one last time?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachment[…]

On the epidemic of truth inversion

Environmental factors and epigenetic expressions […]