Another Example Of Good Americans With Guns... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

It's refreshing to see CNN reporting his story and quoting someone who said that the parishioners saved an "untold number of lives".

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/us/church-shooting-texas/index.html

This is what happens to scumbags when good people are willing to visit violence upon them. That being said, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some non-thinking lib comes along and says it would've been better had the parishioners not been armed...
BigSteve wrote:
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some non-thinking lib comes along and says it would've been better had the parishioners not been armed...

It's only a matter of time before someone points out that there would be no need in a civilised country...
late wrote:It's only a matter of time before someone points out that there would be no need in a civilised country...

Well, it's what we've got.

The shooter is dead. By any measure that's a positive thing...
late wrote:What I was pointing out is what we haven't got, but need, which is civilisation.

Well, in the interim I'll gladly accept that we have good Americans who are willing to put down bad Americans...
late wrote:
What I was pointing out is what we haven't got, but need, which is civilisation.
Civilisation only works if both sides are more or less balanced in power, and agree to practise it to achieve win-win.
late wrote:It's only a matter of time before someone points out that there would be no need in a civilised country...

In a perfect world there would be no violence at all but we don't live in a perfect world. The problem of shootings has many layers in the US and yes the amount of guns is one of them. (Social issues are way important in these cases by the way)

Having said that, banning guns in US is unrealistic and will not produce results because the quantity of firearms on hands is huge in the US. Also guns are kinda a cultural past time so it is unethical in that regard to ban them. (Plus unconstitutional)
JohnRawls wrote:
In a perfect world there would be no violence at all but we don't live in a perfect world. The problem of shootings has many layers in the US and yes the amount of guns is one of them. (Social issues are way important in these cases by the way)

Having said that, banning guns in US is unrealistic and will not produce results because the quantity of firearms on hands is huge in the US. Also guns are kinda a cultural past time so it is unethical in that regard to ban them. (Plus unconstitutional)

Every other developed country has sane gun laws.

We do crazy.
late wrote:Every other developed country has sane gun laws.

We do crazy.

Not really, it depends on the country. In most countries, guns are not a cultural also. (Nor a part of the constitution)

Listen, i am not saying that the gun laws do not need to change or can't be changed. They can be changed and made stricter. Banning guns in America is unethical though both because of it being part of the american culture and also because of the constitution.

There are similar examples in other countries. You can't simply ban some cultural practices that are not heavily damaging/barbaric. Guns are nowhere close to being heavily damaging or barbaric.

Fox Hunting in the UK is perhaps comparable but a bit more barbaric/damaging compared to owning guns. It was banned in the UK due to animal cruelty but a lot of people are regretting it now.(Including prominent politicians in the Tories and Labour) This also did not stop the practice of the sport in UK.
late wrote:Image

And? We all know the problem in US regarding this. Also that includes all deaths of which mass shootings are a very minor part. What is your solution?
JohnRawls wrote:
And? We all know the problem in US regarding this. Also that includes all deaths of which mass shootings are a very minor part. What is your solution?

One option, which would be a lot easier to get passed politically than what I'd prefer, would be to simply return the gun laws to the way they were in 1960.
BigSteve wrote:Which of the current gun laws in this country are "crazy"?

Open sale of weapons without proper mental and background checks in some states.
Another gun thread, eh?

As JR points out, it's a cultural thing and the genie is well and truly out of the bottle in the US. You guys are going to have to learn to live with it.

I was privileged, over a decade ago, to serve alongside US Forces in Iraq and I was fascinated to hear from the unit chaplain that even he had a concealed carry permit, back at home. This was in the context of irony, since on deployment as a military chaplain he was not allowed to carry a side arm and therefore had to have an armed Chaplain's Assistant with him everywhere he went.

If I lived in the US, I would have a side arm.

However, I agree with JR that there is a need for proper checks to be in place. If you have to be a 'fit and proper person' to run a business, surely you need to be a 'fit and proper person' to own a firearm?
JohnRawls wrote:Open sale of weapons without proper mental and background checks in some states.

What do you mean by "open sale of weapons"?

I have no issue with background checks, but how would you propose screening for mental suitability?
BigSteve wrote:What do you mean by "open sale of weapons"?

I have no issue with background checks, but how would you propose screening for mental suitability?

Same way everyone does, go to a shrink and get a medical approval from a shrink. Put it in a database if needed so the retailers can see it. Background checks decreased gun violence by about 20% and its not even at 100% of background checks in America right now. Mental check with a shrink will probably reduce it even lower. Because they will check for more stuff that might be missed with a general background check.

@FiveofSwords There is no biological aspect […]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]