All Joy Comes from Courage - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
A deeper enjoyment of things typically comes from the overcoming of opposites, limits and scarcity. People enjoy exotic foods largely because they are different from what they normally eat, not because the exotic foods are necessarily better than what they normally eat. They enjoy travel because a new location is different from where they normally are, not because a mountain in China or wherever is necessarily better than a mountain near their hometown. If valuation is connected to scarcity, without that scarcity, there is no reason to value something.

If we accept this as being true, the courage to push one's self is a necessary attribute before someone can experience joy because that is how we overcome scarcity. Those who lack this courage and choose to live like turtles are not going to be very happy, no more than those who push themselves too far or in the wrong ways and make mistakes.
Some people are happy choosing to live in a safe space, as it were. Many people also don't find joy from challenging themselves.

I do not agree with your assessment, but I see why you might think that way, as it's probably subjective.

I agree with you are saying, as it applies to me, because if I didn't have the courage to do a lot of new things and take chances, I might not be happy and joyful, where I am today. :)

So... I disagree with you, and agree at the same time.

Clear as mud? :D
Godstud wrote:Some people are happy choosing to live in a safe space, as it were. Many people also don't find joy from challenging themselves.

I do not agree with your assessment, but I see why you might think that way, as it's probably subjective.

I agree with you are saying, as it applies to me, because if I didn't have the courage to do a lot of new things and take chances, I might not be happy and joyful, where I am today. :)

So... I disagree with you, and agree at the same time.

Clear as mud? :D

Very!
I would actually say that I enjoy exotic foods and locales because they represent variation and possibility on themes that I already like. But I would agree that there is an aspect of overcoming when you eat a challenging food and you find that you like it.

But, say I was in China and saw a spicy pork dish I've never had before... I would never be scared. I'd merely be excited to taste a new variation on a theme that I like.

The same could be said of alcohol. When I see that it is 40% alcohol, I am not scared and feeling like I am overcoming it... I am enjoying it because it is a new flavor I haven't had.
I find pushing limitation and boundaries makes me happy, but I do know people who enjoy the status quo and dislike any kind of change. It's very subjective.
Babies find joy from receiving comfort from their mother. This is not an act of courage nor does it require any.

While there is joy in overcoming adversity, it is not the only source of joy.
Godstud wrote:I find pushing limitation and boundaries makes me happy, but I do know people who enjoy the status quo and dislike any kind of change. It's very subjective.

I think that this is really an excellent and common theme for people... but it is also something that makes many people have a disastrous few years in their twenties where every weekend is an effort at partying harder than before (guilty as charged).
I can find joy in the little things. I like when someone smiles or when someone finds humor in a rough situation.

A lot of people hate challenges or pain. Why do you think most people find it hard to keep up with exercise routines? It is hard for them and they do not feel happy doing it. People complain a lot. It is easier to find flaws in everything than it is to be happy and feel content.
Hong Wu wrote: People enjoy exotic foods largely because they are different from what they normally eat, not because the exotic foods are necessarily better than what they normally eat. They enjoy travel because a new location is different from where they normally are, not because a mountain in China or wherever is necessarily better than a mountain near their hometown. If valuation is connected to scarcity, without that scarcity, there is no reason to value something.

I don't think scarcity is the sole basis of value but you don't seem to be talking about scarcity here anyway, you seem to be talking about novelty or variety.
@MistyTiger Yes, I agree.

The thing about joy, however, is often joy is gained from achievement. Hitting the gym and getting fitter, leaner, and looking better, is an achievement of sorts. Feeling healthier and better also brings joy. :D

All joy does not come from courage. Joy can come from almost anything that brings you happiness, or even peace of mind.
My anxiety stems from an unwillingness to accept the meaninglessness of existence: to embrace recurrence, to say "yes" to the moment and finally experience personal rebirth. In this sense I am still a philosophical coward.
This seems more focused on the dopamine rush of wanting things, especially novel things as opposed to liking things or gratitude in being pleased with what exists presently. And the person who practices gratitude and is largely content with the good things in their life is far happier than the person who is driven by the continued reproduction of their desires.

So should drill in on whether the joy is desire itself or appreciations of the thing itself. The difference between the rush of being on a date with a new person flirting and the deep love one has with a partner they’ve been with for years.
No. Trump's a coward. That's why he lashes out at anyone who criticizes him.

Pushing limits and boundaries of acceptable behavior doesn't require courage, just belligerence.

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]

No, it doesn't. The US also wants to see Hamas top[…]

Israel removed 10,000 Israeli families from Gaz[…]

The Donbas fortifications have been incredibly su[…]