Songs about nothing at all - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Finfinder wrote:I don't have people talking in my head do you?

If you listen to music, you have pre-programmed lyrics 'talking in your head' rather than naturally-occurring thoughts and reflections.

This is exactly what I am saying is very, very bad for both the individual's quality of life, and for our social ability to survive by following our instincts.

I think that your own instincts should be the loudest voice in your head, and not commercial products aimed at turning you into a low-self-esteem consumer or useless items.
QatzelOk wrote:If you listen to music, you have pre-programmed lyrics 'talking in your head' rather than naturally-occurring thoughts and reflections.

This is exactly what I am saying is very, very bad for both the individual's quality of life, and for our social ability to survive by following our instincts.

I think that your own instincts should be the loudest voice in your head, and not commercial products aimed at turning you into a low-self-esteem consumer or useless items.

Some countries just don't allow a lot of ads in general. I find it great!

The less commerical things are? The better for all of society.

The majority of Mexico here are micro businesses. Tiny mom and pop places. So many corporations love Mexican markets but they get disappointed that there is not a mad rush to buy things. Mexican consumers in general don't have huge amounts of disposable income. They work long hours in micro businesses and make just enough for basic bills and some other things.

But that is all.
Tainari88 wrote:Some countries just don't allow a lot of ads in general. I find it great!

The less commerical things are? The better for all of society.

The majority of Mexico here are micro businesses. Tiny mom and pop places. So many corporations love Mexican markets but they get disappointed that there is not a mad rush to buy things. Mexican consumers in general don't have huge amounts of disposable income. They work long hours in micro businesses and make just enough for basic bills and some other things.

But that is all.

What I find interesting about a lot of Latin pop music is that it is extremely high energy.

Hot climates usually make you want to slow down and work less. It's natural to adapt this way to heat. So the musical styles are very high-energy and seem to want the listener to have a rapid rythm and lots of positive ideas in his or her head.

I suppose if you work like a slave in the heat for other people, and the end results are depressing (poverty, no free time, frequent injuries), happy and high-energy music can be used to mask this.
QatzelOk wrote:What I find interesting about a lot of Latin pop music is that it is extremely high energy.

Hot climates usually make you want to slow down and work less. It's natural to adapt this way to heat. So the musical styles are very high-energy and seem to want the listener to have a rapid rythm and lots of positive ideas in his or her head.

I suppose if you work like a slave in the heat for other people, and the end results are depressing (poverty, no free time, frequent injuries), happy and high-energy music can be used to mask this.

Ay Q, I don't think that is the reason why the tropical Latin places have high energy music. It has to do with our history Q. Puerto Rico's foundation rhythm is la bomba y la plena, it is a chant like music with repetitive lyrics and a very steady syncopated beat. It has its roots in African tribal chants and is made to be encouraging a connection to nature. You close your eyes and your heartbeat when you are dancing fast is very fast and strong. High Energy. Through that high energy burning you get to a state of bliss or at least a loss of stress. I quite love it...especially when I was a young woman and would dance for hours.

Western Africa if you look at it uses drums, beats and tropical rhythms in order to sort of 'hypnotize'you in a communal state. Each nation in the Caribbean islands and also here in the Yucatan love using rhythm to forget where you are? Mantras, chants and steady beats all have that power to draw you in and alter how you mind responds to physicality or to being in a mental state where thoughts that rush like a river into different funnels of thought, become placid or relax and there is little thought but just action and that pulsing sensation of mental connection to your actions.

Latin people in places like Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and such tropically influenced nations like Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, Panama, most of Central America, and this lovely city Merida, Yucatan, all have that fantastic deep love of high energy music.....it is also Mayan and Native American to love to use that strong high energy beat to pray, to also do rituals and to engage its listeners...

I think you should see this video...this is an original Bomba y Plena group from Ponce I think? Check it out.....For the Cubans the traditional rhythm is el son.

Cuban son:

Tainari88 , I wish I could say that its music was something that I liked about Latin America, but it isn't.

I find that the lyrics and themes of most of the pop songs are brainless odes to hyper-sexuality and superficiality, as well as used to sell products and an unhealthy lifestyle through videos.

There are so many things that I like about the various Latin cultures I have befriended, but the music leaves me feeling robbed of my peace of mind and of my intelligence.

Connecting to nature, for me, is accomplished by listening to natural sounds, and not the machine-made ones (often heavily synthetic and repetitive, like a machine) that characterize many styles of pop music, including most Latin pop genres.

Alcohol and food abuse are other popular refuges of oppressed peoples, and I can't help feeling that many Latinos also gorge on deep-fried pop sugar, along with many other bad dietary habits.

Hiding from yourself via music a major problem in all commercial cultures, and not just the wealthy ones. And hiding from yourself can never end well.
Robert Urbanek wrote:Everyone here seems to have forgotten that for centuries a lot of music was meant for dancing. Or is dancing also an opiate of the masses?

As Emma Goldman was reputed to have said . Image And so then ....
Please stop posting irrelevant videos by artists that you have lodged inside your mind.

Robert Urbanek wrote:Everyone here seems to have forgotten that for centuries a lot of music was meant for dancing. Or is dancing also an opiate of the masses?

The boom-car stops at a light, its windows shaking to the bass of an incredibly percussive dance song being played at 200 decibels.

Inside, two people are listening to the most high-energy music they have ever discovered... while strapped to padded seats, almost motionless.

Today, the energy of the music REPLACES the dancing, in the same way that the unfunny sitcom REPLACES natural laughter with a laugh-track.

The modern dance floor
A song about nothing.

Suck it QatzelOk! You're a wet blanket!
Godstud, all of your "posts about nothing at all" are kind of a result of listening to that type of music.

You really need to get your head de-programmed so you can start saying things that mean something to other people. Otherwise, your posts are mostly friend-seeking peepee-caca jokes.
More on the subject of music, my local dive bar has one of those "Touch Tune" juke boxes. You can play music from your phone on their app. You can even skip your song to the front of the line.

Well, every so often, the local college crowd comes in and plays their hip-hop bullshit to no end. Most annoying is the song "My Nigg*s" by DMX. Personally, I abhor the "N" word, and I hate that song.

So, the other night, one of these college dipshits plays it three times in a row. It's not a long song, so it was all over relatively quick; less than five minutes. At that point, I jumped my selection to the front of the pack:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly, played twice, back to back.

Enjoy the next 34:10 of your evening, fuckers.
Robert Urbanek wrote:The conspiracy (?) of replacing negative thoughts with positive music:

The politics of dancing, the politics of oooh feeling good

Exactly.

Synopsis of Thread so far:

1. Teenagers listen to music in order to block the deep pain they feel from not being allowed to satisfy very basic human needs for sexual relations.

2. This suggests that music is actually more of a drug than a means of artistic expression.

3. The most popular forms of music are commercial, and these incredibly ubiquitous songs have some important characteristics in common: they are repetitive (like prayers and brainwashing techniques), they call the listener "Baby, baby, love, love" to get him into a child-like state of vulnerability, and they are typically sad odes to lost love punctuated by happy, up-beat advertisements for products.

4. All over the world, music videos (and music art) is used to promote products and fashions, many of which are sold by the same corporations that sell the music (or they get a commission or a share of the profits for promotion).

My favorite song right now is 'Jingle Bells.' But the entire Christmas genre has been demonstrated to influence consumers into buying more crap that no one needs or wants. I think the rest of the pop industry has learned from Jingle Bells, and now it's rare to be able to buy merchandise in a brick and mortar store without hearing a soundtrack in the background.

I wonder why. :roll:
QatzelOk wrote:Please stop posting irrelevant videos by artists that you have lodged inside your mind.

The boom-car stops at a light, its windows shaking to the bass of an incredibly percussive dance song being played at 200 decibels.

Inside, two people are listening to the most high-energy music they have ever discovered... while strapped to padded seats, almost motionless.

Today, the energy of the music REPLACES the dancing, in the same way that the unfunny sitcom REPLACES natural laughter with a laugh-track.

The modern dance floor

I just gotta say that this observation reminds me of this comedy music video .
I feel that while @QatzelOk has made some good points , in terms of sociocultural criticism , the end conclusion comes across as resembling this reactionary fundamentalist treatise , Satan's Music Exposed , an excerpt from which you can read here . https://insiderockmusic.com/christian-rock.html My family , particularly on my mother's side , is old school Holiness . So I am rather familiar with the arguments against contemporary music . I think that this is the connotation that your position evokes , QatzelOk , whether or not it's your intent . Critics of your concerns will be inclined to view you as likewise being a repressive religio-cultural conservative , in like manner to that of such churches as the Independent Fundamental Baptists . https://fundamentalistbaptistchurch.org/whatwebelieve.htm#contemporary , http://old.freedomofmind.com/Info/infoDet.php?id=764
More songs about nothing, according to shallow, brain-washed @QatzelOk. It's not all about YOU! :knife:

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles and never frowns
Soon I will be president
Carter power will soon go 'way
I will be Führer one day
I will command all of you
Your kids will meditate in school
Your kids will meditate in school
California Über Alles
California Über Alles
Über Alles California
Über Alles California
Zen fascists will control you
Hundred percent natural
You will jog for the master race
And always wear the happy face
Close your eyes, can't happen here
Big Bro' on white horse is near
The hippies won't come back, you say
Mellow out or you will pay
Mellow out or you will pay
California Über Alles
California Über Alles
Über Alles California
Über Alles California
Now it is nineteen eighty-four
Knock-knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece
Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes, here's a pretty flower
Die on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown
When you mess with President Brown
California Über Alles
California Über Alles
Über Alles California
Über Alles California
So you been to school
For a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car
Thinkin' you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl
Play ethnicky jazz
To parade your snazz
On your five grand stereo
Braggin' that you know
How the niggas feel cold
And the slums got so much soul
It's time to taste what you most fear
Right Guard will not help you here
Brace yourself, my dear:
It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough, kid, but it's life
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Don't forget to pack a wife
You're a star-belly sneech
You suck like a leach
You want everyone to act like you
Kiss ass while you bitch
So you can get rich
But your boss gets richer off you
Well you'll work harder
With a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers
Till you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake
Now you can go where people are one
Now you can go where they get things done
What you need, my son:.
Is a holiday in Cambodia
Where people dress in black
A holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll kiss ass or crack
Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot
And it's a holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll do what you're told
A holiday in Cambodia
Where the slums got so much soul
quetzalcoatl wrote:...You will jog for the master race...

Local Localist wrote:...In daddy's car...

When you cut through all the padding that's been grafted onto these songs to create 'genre' and 'signature sound', all that you're left with are product placements for jogging equipment and automobiles.

Every popular song of every genre is like this.

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (worl[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to fi[…]

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2024/04/18/ron-des[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]