China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Why would the Chinese government lockdown 25 million people but lie about the number of infections? Maybe they can’t verify the number of infections so to speculate wouldn’t be correct?

I don’t think we can say the Chinese government are downplaying anything.
ness31 wrote:Why would the Chinese government lockdown 25 million people but lie about the number of infections? Maybe they can’t verify the number of infections so to speculate wouldn’t be correct?

They only report cases for which they have a positive test (same for deaths). From the looks of things hospitals are completely overwhelmed and people are being turned away.

My friend in Western China said it's 10 times worse than the news media says, and there are cases in her village, 'nevermind the cities'.

China is all in a panic. Travel between provinces is also banned. Every train s station in Hubei is shut down.

And the quarantine is 50 million (or, probably more).
ness31 wrote:Er, yep. I think that’s how it’s done everywhere.

Several sources in this thread have told us a story of dismissing deaths possibly caused by the virus and explaining them as something else. No tests taken but immediate incineration of the bodies as if they were contaminated.

50 million people in quarantine with the official death count at 54. 1400 infected but it has spread to 29 different provinces in China as well as 11 countries outside of China are reporting cases?

This is worse than the official figures. How much worse and if it is deliberate policy or simply chaos time will tell. But it is still far to early to panic.
Crantag wrote:You cherrypicked half of the statement. From all appearance it's complete chaos and the tests aren't being done.

I didn’t cherry pick, I just didn’t understand the point you were making.

Between yourself and madmonk I’m understanding what you’re trying to convey now.

Are bodies really being ‘incinerated’? That sounds dire :|
Further into Hong Kong.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... t-two-more

A union of medical staff threaten to go on strike if the Carrie Lam Administration refuses to close the border. Allegedly the deadline is 28 Jan.

There is speculation that China purposefully force Hong Kong to "help accommodate" infected patients.

EDIT: The following Chinese source suggests that provinces adjacent to Hubei (where Wuhan is in) has already closed their borders.
https://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E8%AD%B7%E6% ... 23033.html

EDIT 2:
There is an online petition in support of medical staff strike. I entered about an hour ago and found that the number of signature was in excess of 100,000.
https://www.inmediahk.net/node/1070238 (Chinese)

EDIT 3:
The link where the deadline of 28 Jan is mentioned (Chinese)
Last edited by Patrickov on 26 Jan 2020 05:50, edited 2 times in total.
@Rugoz How is that even much worse than a normal flu..

I am going to say something here that I know does not make scientific "sense" but it does serve to illustrate a point. You ask about influenza. H1N1 pdm09 killed about .007% of people infected. The "Spanish Flu" of 1918 killed almost 3%.

Corona virus is a different animal. Two recent outbreaks MERS and SARS killed 30% and 10% respectively. If we look at the Chinese government figures so far this outbreak has killed 54 of 1950 infected. Close enough to the 3% number. This is made even more concerning in that we appear to be early into the process. We do not know how many of those newly diagnosed will die. And then there are mutations.....
Authorities around the world are searching for people that have been to Wuhan in the last couple of weeks for possible coronavirus cases. It can be days before virus symptoms manifest themselves, so the virus is probably ripping through the populous all over the place right now. 56 confirmed deaths and tens of millions in lockdown indicates a severity our governments probably haven't quite come to grips with, and given that Australia went from zero to four confirmed cases yesterday, I predict that in a week we'll be seeing dozens more all over the place.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-26/ ... h/11901274
Rancid wrote:I agree. As much as we all like China bashing, I doubt they could cover up something of the magnitude people are claiming here.

People claiming that Wuhan is Raccoon city right now is entertaining. Its a problem but a problem that is overhyped. The Chinese overreacted because they underreacted at the start. So its going to be bad for China because this lockdown will have a negative effect actually.

Did they have a choice? Probably not because it would spread even more because of the celebrations etc.

Do i still think that this is a PR stunt to drive up Pharma stock? Yes, still to a degree. It started as that at the least. CNN is the worst of them all regarding this. Will it grow out of that to a real danger to all of us? Probably not but what the Chinese are doing surely adds to the panic of sorts.

ness31 wrote:I found this gentleman to be interesting for no particular reason https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuen_Kwok-yung

Both Yuen and Zhong Nanshan of China are voices of reason.

The problem is who can continue if, God forbid, they are removed or pass away (Zhong is in his 80s now!). The Chinese system and race has made these people endangered species in the establishment, while in an ideal society they should prevail.
JohnRawls wrote:Did they have a choice? Probably not because it would spread even more because of the celebrations etc.

The Chinese are still human. Celebrations have been effectively cancelled. Our extended family effectively decided to stay at home (while spending their day cursing the Chinese authorities and their supporters to demise ASAP... :sigh: )
ness31 wrote:Why would the Chinese government lockdown 25 million people but lie about the number of infections? Maybe they can’t verify the number of infections so to speculate wouldn’t be correct?

Honesty is not a part of Eastern cultures. I don't see any reason why we should believe Chinese.

China is basically a tribal country with a large population. A very large segment of its population is still living under Africa conditions. I lacks basic democracy and Western norms.

You see that we have many reasons to worry.
Patrickov wrote:The Chinese are still human. Celebrations have been effectively cancelled. Our extended family effectively decided to stay at home (while spending their day cursing the Chinese authorities and their supporters to demise ASAP... :sigh: )

Why sigh?

The CCP should come to an end.
colliric wrote:Why sigh?

The CCP should come to an end.

I sigh because something should happen didn't, despite so much effort from all sides.

How can God be believed if He does not SMITE the guilty and deliver us, instead of making us suffer as if we are the more guilty ones?

Pretty clear France will be taking a leading role […]

He is even less coherent than Alex Jones. My gu[…]

Yes, and it did not order a ceasefire. Did you ev[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]