China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
JohnRawls wrote:I wonder if this spreads everywhere then this epidemic will literally bankrupt most of the America.

doubtful, there are too many people invested in America, and there's plenty of labor talent in america.

Effectively, America is too big to fail, and it wouldn't hurt us to print money a little more anyway.
Patrickov wrote:A Danish newspaper posted an image with the virus replacing the stars on the Chinese flag.

See it here.

I wouldn’t have expected that from the Danes. Hm, wonder what they were getting at?

My wife went around all pharmacies she could find in Lisbon a couple of days ago, but she couldn't get a single mask, even though we haven't had a single confirmed case in Portugal yet. Apparently the Chinese are buying up all stocks.

I honestly thought China made all that kind of stuff. The masks, the goggles all of it. I’d say they’re pretty self sufficient, no?
@JohnRawls

Good face masks, like the 3M N95 standard, are good to have.
A little costly compared to ordinary surgical masks but definitely recommended.

Hand sanitiser, Hexisol is good, and small hand sanitisers from Dettol or any other brand to carry in your pocket with you at all times.

Medicines:
First of all the meds you need on a regular basis, get a stock for two months.
(I avoid pharmacies because all the sick people throng there and cough in your face lol)
I keep painkillers and fever reducers at home, and a range of disinfectants for wounds (isobetadine is good), and plasters in different sizes. And bandages.
Since everything is over the counter here without prescription, I keep different antibiotics ready. Including some triple antibiotic ointment and several doses of second and third generation broad spectrum antibiotics like cephalosporins. Azythromycin is good for respiratory infections. Also cough syrup and mucus thinners. Antihistamines.

I do not recommend any of these meds, I only mention what I keep in our house because I know how and what and when because I read a lot about it and I am a self-medicator since many years.

And food ! Rice, flour, corned beef, noodles, sugar, honey, tuna cans, coffee, UHT milk cartons, and so on, everything that keeps well.

Cash ! Preferable clean notes in small denominations (so you don't need to accept change that might be contaminated).

Water, soda water, juices, maybe beer and spirits if you like those.

Train yourself to change certain behaviour : stop shaking hands, do not let anyone use your mobile phone, don't put your phone down in public places, do not go near people who sneeze and cough, and certainly do not let anyone like that into your house, even if it is your friend. Wash your hands with water and soap several times a day and certainly after you went out of your house.
Train yourself to stop touching your face, especially your mouth.

There are forums on the internet where survivalists and flu trackers share information and advice.
Good luck !
ness31 wrote:I wouldn’t have expected that from the Danes. Hm, wonder what they were getting at?

Seriously, why the fuck will some people think it is wrong??? The paper is clearly for Danish people only, and whether the paper shows that is entirely their own matters. It is just like South Park. Their readers will judge whether it is appropriate.

China responded like a spoiled brat, and is totally violating Danish soveriegnty. The Danish government MUST shoot these stupid accusations down with an iron-fist!!!

ness31 wrote:I honestly thought China made all that kind of stuff. The masks, the goggles all of it. I’d say they’re pretty self sufficient, no?

Even the Chinese think (or even know) themselves as a race of cons and frauds. They might have made a lot of things, but almost none of them reliable.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Ter I think you are taking this whole virus thing too seriously

It is a serious issue. The root cause is that China is untrustworthy as whole, regardless of the Government and the People.
Seriously, why the fuck will some people think it is wrong??? The paper is clearly for Danish people only, and whether the paper shows that is entirely their own matters. It is just like South Park. Their readers will judge whether it is appropriate.

China responded like a spoiled brat, and is totally violating Danish soveriegnty. The Danish government MUST shoot these stupid accusations down with an iron-fist!!!

I didn’t say it was wrong per se, just a little spiteful maybe? A bit schadenfreudesque..

Even the Chinese think (or even know) themselves as a race of cons and frauds. They might have made a lot of things, but almost none of them reliable.

True as that may be, I reckon they can handle face masks, goggles, visors and anything disposable and plastic. It’s their fucking specialty.
Everything Ter said. As for stockpiling antibiotics...

That is not legal in the US and anyway your doctor would have to write the prescription. I would be surprised if any did. Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses anyway. If there was an opportunistic bacterial infection they may be something to consider I imagine, but again, that is for the doctor to decide. There is some danger in taking antibiotics for viral infections we are told in that in addition to it being ineffective patients will delay other treatments thinking that the antibiotics will work.

Hong Kong has suspended individual travel permits for people from China.

Germany and Japan have both confirmed cases of patients who tested positive for coronavirus, but who did not visit Wuhan themselves.

Economic impact? Don't really care right at the moment. This is far more important than that.

The US has some minor advantages with things like this. We are pretty spread out by world standards being one of them. That is little comfort to me.

Zionist Nationalist wrote:
Ter I think you are taking this whole virus thing too seriously

My personal opinion is that you can't take it to seriously. I would impose an all-out travel ban to and from China if I were king for a day.
ness31 wrote:True as that may be, I reckon they can handle face masks, goggles, visors and anything disposable and plastic. It’s their fucking specialty.

They can, but not without fraud. When it comes to human lives, there is no space for fraud, yet since they have committed so much of it, they have no choice but to grab whatever they need overseas.
ness31 wrote:I wouldn’t have expected that from the Danes. Hm, wonder what they were getting at?

The Jyllanden Posten has a track record. That is the newspaper that published the Prophet Mohamed cartoon that caused massive riots and some deaths in the Muslim world.

The image of the PRC flag with the virus symbols is not offensive. What is offensive is the attitude of the Chinese government which puts the whole world at risk, in addition to its own population, which it obviously doesn't give a fuck about. What is offensive too is that the Chinese ask Western countries to introduce censorship on behalf of the Chinese government. That is extremely offensive.

Caricatures and cartoons have a long tradition in Europe as a legitimate way of criticizing the mighty and powerful even when they show a distorted representation of reality. That is part and parcel of the press freedom the Chinese try to suppress.

The reason for the repeated outbreaks of virus infections in China is the absence of press freedom, which allows government cover-ups. A number of people reporting about the virus in December were arrested and journalists were intimated. The total crack down on independent reporting is even worse than it was during the SARS outbreak 15 years ago.

I honestly thought China made all that kind of stuff. The masks, the goggles all of it. I’d say they’re pretty self sufficient, no?

They do make a lot of it, but there are obviously bottlenecks for the supply of face masks in the current emergency. Reports from Europe and the US suggest that face masks are sold out in many places and that the Chinese diaspora is buying up a lot of it.
Atlantis wrote:The Jyllanden Posten has a track record. That is the newspaper that published the Prophet Mohamed cartoon that caused massive riots and some deaths in the Muslim world.

The image of the PRC flag with the virus symbols is not offensive. What is offensive is the attitude of the Chinese government which puts the whole world at risk, in addition to its own population, which it obviously doesn't give a fuck about. What is offensive too is that the Chinese ask Western countries to introduce censorship on behalf of the Chinese government. That is extremely offensive.

Caricatures and cartoons have a long tradition in Europe as a legitimate way of criticizing the mighty and powerful even when they show a distorted representation of reality. That is part and parcel of the press freedom the Chinese try to suppress.

The reason for the repeated outbreaks of virus infections in China is the absence of press freedom, which allows government cover-ups. A number of people reporting about the virus in December were arrested and journalists were intimated. The total crack down on independent reporting is even worse than it was during the SARS outbreak 15 years ago.

I think all affected nations should demand a compensation from the Chinese Government, and take over it if it refuses or fails to do so. Just like how the Allies did to Germany in 1945.

Atlantis wrote:They do make a lot of it, but there are obviously bottlenecks for the supply of face masks in the current emergency. Reports from Europe and the US suggest that face masks are sold out in many places and that the Chinese diaspora is buying up a lot of it.

As I said, the actual reason of the Chinese diaspora buying up a lot of it, is that Chinese products are full of fraud, and the Chinese at least think themselves a race who like to commit fraud just for a little more profit.
Drlee wrote:Everything Ter said. As for stockpiling antibiotics...

That is not legal in the US and anyway your doctor would have to write the prescription. I would be surprised if any did. Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses anyway. If there was an opportunistic bacterial infection they may be something to consider I imagine, but again, that is for the doctor to decide. There is some danger in taking antibiotics for viral infections we are told in that in addition to it being ineffective patients will delay other treatments thinking that the antibiotics will work.

Hong Kong has suspended individual travel permits for people from China.

Germany and Japan have both confirmed cases of patients who tested positive for coronavirus, but who did not visit Wuhan themselves.

Economic impact? Don't really care right at the moment. This is far more important than that.

The US has some minor advantages with things like this. We are pretty spread out by world standards being one of them. That is little comfort to me.

My personal opinion is that you can't take it to seriously. I would impose an all-out travel ban to and from China if I were king for a day.

But what would you actually get to treat pneumonia itself. I understand you can't cure the virus itself but you can treat symptoms of pneumonia right?
Pneumonia is the number one of children under five years old. It is responsible for over 50,000 deaths in the US each year.

I do not want to talk here about treatment because it is a disease that must be treated by a doctor. And that doctor has a wide variety of options.

The WHO is saying that we should initially treat corona virus essentially like the flu except for the antiviral drugs. Rest, fluids, moist air and something for fever.

Beyond that more serious diagnostic tools are necessary starting with x-rays, to decide treatment.

The best thing you can do is that if you feel you might have a pneumonia get to the doctor right away. Right away.

We can discuss the doomsday scenario if that should come to pass but for now we have (and as a European) you certainly have a robust medical system.
China in a nutshell:

"Everyone must understand, first of all, that this epidemic was allowed to spread for a period of more than forty days before any of the abovementioned cities were closed off, or any decisive action taken. In fact, if we look at the main efforts undertaken by the leadership, and by provincial and city governments in particular, these were focused mostly not on the containment of the epidemic itself, but on the containment and suppression of information about the disease."

"Politics first. Stability preservation first. In such an environment, science can only sit by and watch. The scientific results could not be clearer, and the authorities likely had a decent grasp of the real situation. But nevertheless they could not speak the truth, and they spared no effort in keeping the outbreak under wraps. Front-line doctors who spoke up about the outbreak were taken in for questioning. Eight Wuhan citizens who dared to post about the outbreak online were summoned by the police and singled out in public announcements through official media in order to terrify the public and force people to remain quiet."

THE TRUTH ABOUT “DRAMATIC ACTION”

Da Shiji (达史纪) is the penname of a veteran journalist living in the city of Wuhan.

Interestingly enough, somebody found it necessary to save this article to 4 different sites to increase the chance that at least 1 copy would survive government censorship.
Rancid wrote:doubtful, there are too many people invested in America, and there's plenty of labor talent in america.

Effectively, America is too big to fail, and it wouldn't hurt us to print money a little more anyway.

I don't mean the US economy or business going bankrupt but to some degree that might happen.

Lets say worst passes and this will be similar to the spanish flu. Spanish flu infected roughly 1/3rd of the world.
1/3rd of US is around 110 million give or take. Lets say 10% of them will require direct medical treatment in a hospital and not just medication. (Probably more. But for arguments sake lets take 10%)

That adds up to 11 million people. A cost of treating pneumonia in US hospitals is 5k. A cost of staying in US hospitals on average is 2k. ( Can go up and beyond 10k depending on the disease/situation) So that means that 11 000 000 x 5 000 + 11 000 000 x 2 000 * 7(days). So that adds up to around 55 billion that the average american will have to pay out of his pocket to get treated in the hospital + 154 billion for staying 7 days + god knows how much for the medicine for the rest 99 million. So what? That is like 500 billion out of US average persons pocket?(Again i have no clue but this assumes that just the medecine will cost average american around 2.5k. That 99 million.)

How many people will go bankrupt from this?
Atlantis wrote:China in a nutshell:

"Everyone must understand, first of all, that this epidemic was allowed to spread for a period of more than forty days before any of the abovementioned cities were closed off, or any decisive action taken. In fact, if we look at the main efforts undertaken by the leadership, and by provincial and city governments in particular, these were focused mostly not on the containment of the epidemic itself, but on the containment and suppression of information about the disease."

"Politics first. Stability preservation first. In such an environment, science can only sit by and watch. The scientific results could not be clearer, and the authorities likely had a decent grasp of the real situation. But nevertheless they could not speak the truth, and they spared no effort in keeping the outbreak under wraps. Front-line doctors who spoke up about the outbreak were taken in for questioning. Eight Wuhan citizens who dared to post about the outbreak online were summoned by the police and singled out in public announcements through official media in order to terrify the public and force people to remain quiet."

THE TRUTH ABOUT “DRAMATIC ACTION”

Da Shiji (达史纪) is the penname of a veteran journalist living in the city of Wuhan.

Interestingly enough, somebody found it necessary to save this article to 4 different sites to increase the chance that at least 1 copy would survive government censorship.

China often does that in the name of fighting Western Imperialism. What I learned from this is Western Imperialism is at least 100 times better.

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O