House Manager Jerry Nadler Correctly Calls Trump A Dictator - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Indy wrote:I voted for Trump and I don't hate liberals. If that's what you believe I'll go ahead and move along, as I've found that someone who draws unfounded conclusions are often the most difficult people to deal with, simply because they believe their opinions trump reality.

Sorry for only reponding on one paragraph.

From what I see among PoFo members, the people in power, the people surrounding me, and myself, I will say probably 80% of the human race believe their opinions trump reality. In fact, to most people, reality does not go beyond what they want to see.
I'm enjoying how Donald J. Trump is doing a de-Ba'athification of the government by firing everyone who correctly understands that he is a moron. It owns how only the dumbest ass kissers who know how to flatter a man in literal clown makeup are running things. And they certainly aren't corrupt grifters.
Politics_Observer wrote:Well, I can't argue with you blackjack21. You make a legitimate and fair point. This isn't the first time stuff like this has happened in our country's history. I guess we like to think we are somehow "different" or "exceptional" to everybody else, but at the end of the day, we are no different or "exceptional" than anybody else around the world. We like to see ourselves as "freedom loving people" and I think we are, but so is everybody else around the world and we have the same problems with tyranny and oppression as everybody else does around the world. In some respects, we are not so unique and "different" as anybody else around the world too. I guess if I lived in the Woodrow Wilson era, I had best "fall in line," keep my mouth shut and not bring attention to myself if I didn't want to go to jail or branded somehow. Governments will do that.

Then why can't you admit that Jerry Nadler was lying, or at least mistaken about Trump being the first dictator? I don't see President Trump as a dictator at all.
@Hindsite

Hindisite wrote: Then why can't you admit that Jerry Nadler was lying, or at least mistaken about Trump being the first dictator? I don't see President Trump as a dictator at all.

It's debatable whether Trump could become the "first dictator" or not but he certainly wants to be a dictator and is a clear and present danger to our current republic given the fact he wants to be a dictator. So you think that because Trump doesn't want to be "President" for life despite the fact he talks about it and he tries to be by usurping the constitution? His words and actions have demonstrated he intends to be and will try to be (but again that doesn't mean he will succeed but he might, we don't know yet).

Now, Woodrow Wilson stepped down after two terms in office. I will say that Wilson was an authoritarian given his sometimes repressive policies during war time, but because he stepped down after his second term was over, doesn't make him a dictator in my book. He was an authoritarian though (and perhaps many Presidents would be during war time).

Trump, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be intent on stepping down if he loses this years election or after his second term is over. He has made statements on several occasions referring to how other authoritarians have seized power for life by stating "we should try that" referring to China's premier being in power for life for example ( https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-43361276).

He seems to want to be "President" for life, which would then make him a dictator if he succeeds in achieving that. That being said, it could be better argued that Franklin Roosevelt could have very well became and perhaps be regarded as a dictator given he was elected to a third term and he didn't step down if I remember my history correctly after his second term was over (though I can't remember if at that time Presidents had term limits or not).

As it stands, FDR is the only President to have served more than two terms, which to me, that sounds close to becoming a dictator if not a dictator. I don't care who you are or how loved you are or how good a job you have done as President, once your second term is over, that's it! You can't be President anymore.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Hindsite

It's debatable whether Trump could become the "first dictator" or not but he certainly wants to be a dictator and is a clear and present danger to our current republic given the fact he wants to be a dictator. So you think that because Trump doesn't want to be "President" for life despite the fact he talks about it and he tries to be by usurping the constitution? His words and actions have demonstrated he intends to be and will try to be (but again that doesn't mean he will succeed but he might, we don't know yet).

Now, Woodrow Wilson stepped down after two terms in office. I will say that Wilson was an authoritarian given his sometimes repressive policies during war time, but because he stepped down after his second term was over, doesn't make him a dictator in my book. He was an authoritarian though (and perhaps many Presidents would be during war time).

Trump, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be intent on stepping down if he loses this years election or after his second term is over. He has made statements on several occasions referring to how other authoritarians have seized power for life by stating "we should try that" referring to China's premier being in power for life for example ( https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-43361276).

He was being facetious. Can't your guys see any humor in his campaign speeches, instead of taking every word he says so seriously? Everyone but you left-wing types knows that there is a two term limit on the presidency. However, that is not true for members of congress, who can keep running for reelection until they die.
Politics_Observer wrote:Now, Woodrow Wilson stepped down after two terms in office. I will say that Wilson was an authoritarian given his sometimes repressive policies during war time, but because he stepped down after his second term was over, doesn't make him a dictator in my book.

Wilson didn't step down as some altruistic act, he suffered a severe stroke in 1919 and his health steadily declined. It got to the point where he could no longer serve. There's no reason to believe, had he not suffered that stroke, that he wouldn't have run for a third term.

So, you believe that Trump will declare himself Grand Poobah for life and refuse to move out of the White House.

Okay.

That being said, it could be better argued that Franklin Roosevelt could have very well became and perhaps be regarded as a dictator given he was elected to a third term and he didn't step down if I remember my history correctly after his second term was over (though I can't remember if at that time Presidents had term limits or not).

Here's a little hint for you: If FDR was elected to a third term, you're probably correct if you state that there were no term limits. But he was no dictator. He won re-election in 1936 by securing 523 electoral votes; over 98%. The American people loved FDR.

Oh, and he wasn't elected three times. He was elected four.

As it stands, FDR is the only President to have served more than two terms, which to me, that sounds close to becoming a dictator if not a dictator. I don't care who you are or how loved you are or how good a job you have done as President, once your second term is over, that's it! You can't be President anymore.

Actually, back then, you could.
@blackjack21 forgive me if I can't quote you directly. I will try to be fast and accurate because I got a Mexican immigration appointment coming up. BTW, I am voting against that pig president from abroad. I suspect the majority of Americans in Merida, Mexico are going to be doing the big X against that man here. All you have to do for the people who might be reading this? And are residing outside the USA but hold USA citizenship is go to the website VotefromAbroad.org (absentee ballots for Americans), and follow the steps and you too can kick ass outside of the USA even it if is a symbolic vote! Lol. Let the fools who think you can't do anything living outside of the USA that that is patently not true! When I become a Mexican citizen in Mexico City I will also be allowed to vote in Mexican elections. So I get to participate in two societies. That is going to become more and more commonplace. Dual and global entry is going to happen all over the world. It happens for the very wealthy now, but for the lower classes it is very very hard to escape systems in which you can't move at all anywhere because you are too poor to do so and are stuck with only one system of government and if it doesn't favor your situation you are trapped. Soon if you organize well people? You are not stuck with these myths of meritocracy bullshit explanations and can actually free yourself from only one nation an one government. Internationlist in everything but on the behalf of the WORKING and LOWER AND MIDDLE CLASSES ALL OVER THE WORLD, and not defending the injustice bullshit like many here do to avoid caring about Blacks, Mexicans, and other Third World types that they deem the ínferior races.....even though they justify it with bullshit claims about how in the north they got some genes that made them conquer. The species is ONE. Variations exist. But the core of it all is adaptation to changing conditions over time...that requires acceptance of all variants of human genetics as valuable and important. Options and change are interlinked. Anyone who believes in class consciousness and who thinks in terms of superior, interior, better or worse, really don't get what the purpose of variation truly is......they just want to have their group hang on to mundane power and never will put any energy of struggle behind getting rights that apply to the most inclusive group of humans in the world. They love elitist crap and el Senor Blackjack is one of those for sure, and they in their heads got to be the group being in charge. FIGHT THAT hard. It is the way forward.

Relampaguito, if ever you get what innate human value and equality is about? You will have been part of a better human society. If you stay stuck on who cares about the lower groups because some are superior and so on? Stuck in shit thinking forever.

I got to go now, but I will address your points.
Politics_Observer wrote:
Trump, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be intent on stepping down if he loses this years election or after his second term is over.

presidents don't "step down", they're simply divested of power. there is zero chance of Trump retaining power if he loses the election.
Indy wrote:
No, we don't.

No, it was not.

You're kidding, right?

No one in American history has come within a thousand country miles of the breadth and depth of Trump's obstruction of justice and Congress.

You don't get to rewrite the Constitution. But I do have an appreciation for the fantasy genre of fiction.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Okay.

Let us back up a step.

The WH ordered staff to not comply with the House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump.

Yes or no?

This isn't a parliamentary system, the executive has privileges that are exempt from congressional oversight. If there is a dispute between the president and congress over privilege it goes to the judiciary.

There are conditions that must be met for Ukraine[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]