Pompeo - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
First thing Trump did was rip the guts out of the State Dept. We lost most of a generation of professionals, and repairing State (and our relationship with the world) will be what the next generation will have to do.

It gets worse.

As head of State, Pompeo is supposed to defend his people, when that is warranted. The buzz from State is that he never does, more about that in a minute.

State is supposed to champion freedom of the press. That's also relevant to what Pompeo just did.

Pompeo is neck deep in the Ukraine mess. He tried to deny it, but there are just too many people now putting him at the scene of the crime.

When a NPR reporter asked him about Ukraine, he went nuts. He tried to question her competence, but she's an expert on Europe, and knows a lot more than Pompeo. He was trying to intimidate her, and that backfired, it's all over the news now.

Bullying the press to protect his lies is not promoting freedom of the press. Kinda the opposite of that.

The question was whether he defended Yovanovitch, who was one of our best diplomats. If you know how Trump operates, you know he did not. Which is why he didn't want to admit he sucks at his job.

The extortion was straight out of the Mafia playbook, do what we say or you die. Because if the funding to Ukraine was stopped, that would happen in short order. Which is why there are so many Russian characters involved. Even if they didn't get to conquer the rest of Ukraine, dealing with a corrupt government would work out just fine.
By Big Steve-3
late wrote:State is supposed to champion freedom of the press.

Please cite your reference which states that the Department of State is supposed to "champion freedom of the press".

When a NPR reporter asked him about Ukraine, he went nuts. He tried to question her competence, but she's an expert on Europe, and knows a lot more than Pompeo. He was trying to intimidate her, and that backfired, it's all over the news now.

Freedom of the press does not mean that the press cannot be challenged.

Bullying the press to protect his lies is not promoting freedom of the press.

I would repeat my request that you cite your reference which states that the Department of State is supposed to "champion freedom of the press".

I will submit that it is not the responsibility of the State Department, and by extension the Secretary of State, to "champion freedom of the press".
By late
Indy wrote:
1) Please cite your reference which states that the Department of State is supposed to "champion freedom of the press".

Freedom of the press does not mean that the press cannot be challenged.

I would repeat my request that you cite your reference which states that the Department of State is supposed to "champion freedom of the press".

2) I will submit that it is not the responsibility of the State Department, and by extension the Secretary of State, to "champion freedom of the press".

This is from the State Dept archives:

"...there is no more important pillar of democracy than a free and active press."
--Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Remarks at the Edward R. Murrow Journalism Program, April 10, 2007

"The U.S. Record in Supporting World Press Freedom
The U.S. has a strong track record in promoting and protecting press freedom and will continue this work:

"The State Department documents press freedom worldwide in its annual Country Reports on Human Rights.

Supporting a free press through programs and exchanges
The United States has a strong record of supporting NGOs that promote a free press abroad. The U.S. provides professional development for journalists, editors and media managers from countries worldwide; supports professional exchanges and civic education programs such as the Edward R. Murrow Journalism Program"
https://2001-2009.state.gov/g/drl/press//index.htm

While we're far from perfect, freedom of the press has been part of the State Dept mandate since the end of WW2.

2) You can "submit" anything you want. Don't expect anyone familiar with diplomacy to take you seriously. Like I said, we're far from perfect. But there's an information war going right now, and we're under attack...
By Big Steve-3
late wrote:This is from the State Dept archives:

"...there is no more important pillar of democracy than a free and active press."
--Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Remarks at the Edward R. Murrow Journalism Program, April 10, 2007

"The U.S. Record in Supporting World Press Freedom
The U.S. has a strong track record in promoting and protecting press freedom and will continue this work:

"The State Department documents press freedom worldwide in its annual Country Reports on Human Rights.

Supporting a free press through programs and exchanges
The United States has a strong record of supporting NGOs that promote a free press abroad. The U.S. provides professional development for journalists, editors and media managers from countries worldwide; supports professional exchanges and civic education programs such as the Edward R. Murrow Journalism Program"
https://2001-2009.state.gov/g/drl/press//index.htm

While we're far from perfect, freedom of the press has been part of the State Dept mandate since the end of WW2.

2) You can "submit" anything you want. Don't expect anyone familiar with diplomacy to take you seriously. Like I said, we're far from perfect. But there's an information war going right now, and we're under attack...

Your point fails.

First, nowhere in your link does is say anything about the State Department "championing" anything. It certainly promotes the idea of a free press internationally through diplomatic channels, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about a U.S based reporter asking Pompeo a question and not getting the response she wanted. Well, nowhere is she guaranteed a response to her questions. If you're aware of something which assures her otherwise, I would love to read it.

Secondly, after Kelly met Pompeo in private, she claimed he went off on some "profanity-laced rant". It's just a bit too convenient that there's no record of what he said; it's just her word against his.

For the record, I can't stand Mike Pompeo and would love to see him out of a job. But my dislike for him doesn't supersede the importance I place on truth and verifiable facts.
By late
Indy wrote:
Your point fails.

First, nowhere in your link does is say anything about the State Department "championing" anything. It certainly promotes the idea of a free press internationally through diplomatic channels, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about a U.S based reporter asking Pompeo a question and not getting the response she wanted. Well, nowhere is she guaranteed a response to her questions. If you're aware of something which assures her otherwise, I would love to read it.

Secondly, after Kelly met Pompeo in private, she claimed he went off on some "profanity-laced rant". It's just a bit too convenient that there's no record of what he said; it's just her word against his.

For the record, I can't stand Mike Pompeo and would love to see him out of a job. But my dislike for him doesn't supersede the importance I place on truth and verifiable facts.

The article makes it clear State goes far past diplomatic channels.

We're also talking about a fat cat on a hot tin roof. He had no response, and he wasn't happy about getting caught in a lie.

She's credible, he clearly is not.

Nice try at Diversion, tho. Love the part about not liking Pompeo while defending him like crazy.
By Big Steve-3
late wrote:The article makes it clear State goes far past diplomatic channels.

We're also talking about a fat cat on a hot tin roof. He had no response, and he wasn't happy about getting caught in a lie.

She's credible, he clearly is not.

Nice try at Diversion, tho. Love the part about not liking Pompeo while defending him like crazy.

I've become quite familiar with your brand of liberalism.

If I voted for Trump, you think I'm a nazi.

If I support the 2nd Amendment you think I'm a gun nut who wants to kill children.

If I go to church you think I'm a religious zealot.

If I don't damn Pompeo to Hell I'm "defending him like crazy".

The only thing here that's crazy is your logic. Your brand of liberalism is so easy to dismiss simply because it enjoys no roots to reality.
By late
Indy wrote:
I've become quite familiar with your brand of liberalism.

The only thing here that's crazy is your logic. Your brand of liberalism is so easy to dismiss simply because it enjoys no roots to reality.

I doubt that very much, a notion supported by the rest of your nonsense.

Uh huh.

When is all this logic and reality based deduction going to start?? You have had opportunities to make persuasive arguments, and all we've seen is your silly side.
By Big Steve-3
late wrote:I doubt that very much, a notion supported by the rest of your nonsense.

Uh huh.

When is all this logic and reality based deduction going to start?? You have had opportunities to make persuasive arguments, and all we've seen is your silly side.

In keeping with the gist of my earlier comments, you view anything you disagree with as "silly".

It's not the job of the State Department to "champion" anything within our borders. The purpose of the State Department is to deal with international issues and affairs. If Pompeo doesn't answer a question of a reporter, he's not doing anything that runs counter to the mission of the State Department.
By late
Indy wrote:
In keeping with the gist of my earlier comments, you view anything you disagree with as "silly".

It's not the job of the State Department to "champion" anything within our borders.

The purpose of the State Department is to deal with international issues and affairs. If Pompeo doesn't answer a question of a reporter, he's not doing anything that runs counter to the mission of the State Department.

Speaking of silly, State doesn't work inside the country.

The Ukraine mess is completely at odds with American interests. So Pompeo's involvement is a number of kinds of wrong.
By Big Steve-3
late wrote:Speaking of silly, State doesn't work inside the country.

Exactly correct.

So why, then, have you taken the position that the State Department is supposed to "champion" free speech when discussing a U.S. based reporter interviewing a U.S. official within the borders of the United States?

You are silly, indeed.
By late
Indy wrote:
Exactly correct.

So why, then, have you taken the position that the State Department is supposed to "champion" free speech when discussing a U.S. based reporter interviewing a U.S. official within the borders of the United States?

You are silly, indeed.

That was your point?

A Sec State that bullies reporters is telling the world do as we say, not as we do...

You need to take that in context of our other problems what have resulted in a drop in our PFI index.
By Big Steve-3
late wrote:That was your point?

A Sec State that bullies reporters is telling the world do as we say, not as we do...

You need to take that in context of our other problems what have resulted in a drop in our PFI index.

Pompeo didn't "bully" her.

He had no responsibility to answer the question, and she had no right to demand an answer.

Simple math on this one.
By Rancid
@late, you think Pompeo is going to be the fall guy?
By late
Indy wrote:
Pompeo didn't "bully" her.

He had no responsibility to answer the question, and she had no right to demand an answer.

Simple math on this one.

I see you're still defending Pompeo... I tend to pay more attention to what people do than the silly things they say...

This isn't math, you would need a persuasive argument. That you don't have. He clearly tried to bully her, and he does have a responsibility to the American people. A responsibility he is clearly failing to perform.
By Finfinder
It seems the OP is crying about how he wants the Republican president to appoint Democrat cabinet members. Elections have consequences especially when you support a crooked liar like Hillary Clinton. Its going to be a rough 5 more years for some.
By late
Rancid wrote:[usermention=41202]

@late[/usermention], you think Pompeo is going to be the fall guy?

Trump isn't going to need fall guys.

OTOH, you can guarantee more of his people are going to wind up in jail.
By Big Steve-3
late wrote:I see you're still defending Pompeo... I tend to pay more attention to what people do than the silly things they say...

This isn't math, you would need a persuasive argument. That you don't have. He clearly tried to bully her, and he does have a responsibility to the American people. A responsibility he is clearly failing to perform.

I don't see refusal to answer a question as "bullying".

If you do, might I suggest you never go into journalism.
By Patrickov
Indy wrote:If you do, might I suggest you never go into journalism.

I dispute this. He probably is a good journalist, given his sincerity in what he believes, and his willingness to engage repetitive statements without signs of fatigue.
By late
Indy wrote:
I don't see refusal to answer a question as "bullying".

How about hollering and swearing in an attempt to intimidate.

You certainly are spending a lot of time defending him.

That is interesting why do you think that is? It[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You already have enough problems with reality. :[…]

Should schools have books on phrenology, astrolog[…]

@FiveofSwords Edwards' critique does not co[…]