How Screwed is the UK Labour Party Now? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.

This is a bit random but I just saw this snippet on youtube. Like or loathe him TB was Labour's most electable Party Leader, so it might be he understands a thing or two about getting elected. I think his point about how those who switched their votes from labour to Tory for the first time ever in that last GE might find it a lot easier to do it a second time is quite encouraging.
SolarCross wrote:HOW SCREWED IS THE UK LABOUR PARTY NOW?

Not as screwed as the Tory party will be in a few years time when the Brexit chickens come home to roost. There is no oil to bail you out this time.

:lol:
ingliz wrote:Not as screwed as the Tory party will be in a few years time when the Brexit chickens come home to roost. There is no oil to bail you out this time.

That is probably wishful thinking on your part.

Regardless the tories only did what the electorate wanted and so the electorate are not going to punish them for doing what they were told to do, even if it turns out more painful than expected. I am pretty sure the vast majority of brexiters expect some economic hardship, but they are not fussed. No pain, no gain, as they say.
Last edited by SolarCross on 20 Feb 2020 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
SolarCross wrote:

Regardless the tories only did what the electorate wanted and so the electorate are not going to punish them for doing what they were told to do, even if it turns out more painful than expected. I am pretty sure the vast majority of brexiters expect some economic hardship, but they are not fussed. No pain, no gain, as they say.

I do love a good myth.

The country was evenly split, the support came much later, and was a simple result of frustration. They wanted it over.

I seem to remember the fools saying Brexit would make things better. But lowering expectations is VERY sensible now that things are about to get fubar...
late wrote:I seem to remember the fools saying Brexit would make things better. But lowering expectations is VERY sensible now that things are about to get fubar...

I know someone who does believe that the United Kingdom will turn out better because the judicial system of it be better than the Continental one, thereby attracting investors more. Also he believes the UK will forge a closer tie with other members of Commonwealth of Nations.

In general I find people in the East view Brexit in a more positive light than the above opinion.
I think people are getting pretty sick of hearing politicians talk about attracting investors and the usual dogma of the GDP cult. It makes politicos look powerless and weak.
Donna wrote:I think people are getting pretty sick of hearing politicians talk about attracting investors and the usual dogma of the GDP cult. It makes politicos look powerless and weak.
If I am to make an opinion myself I would say I credit the British system more about its tendency of judicial fairness and trustworthyness in the administration.
SolarCross wrote:That is probably wishful thinking on your part.

Is that what you read in Sun or on the back of a beer mat?

Leavers are stupid.

Stupid enough to blame the EU instead of themselves.
The UK economy will most likely shrink. The question is, who will it hurt the most when it shrinks? The working classes or the rich?

Historically speaking, the rich benefit when the economy expands, and the rich are impacted less when it shrinks.
Rancid wrote:The UK economy will most likely shrink. The question is, who will it hurt the most when it shrinks? The working classes or the rich?

Historically speaking, the rich benefit when the economy expands, and the rich are impacted less when it shrinks.

Maybe the UK economy will shrink, maybe it won’t. Given the storm clouds on the horizon for the global economy as a whole, I’d expect shrink it will.

However, the UK looks better than the EU for investment. The EU has deep structural imbalances in labour markets and financial institutions. The majority of EU members must sacrifice domestic economic policy to serve the shared currency. As @Patrickov points out, the EU doesn’t have quite the level of accountability as is offered by the British legal system.

So I’d say the UK is a safer investment destination than the EU. Quite possibly the pound would be a better long term investment than the Euro, the later will become worthless if the EU collapses.

As regards who will suffer when the economy contracts, it is whoever lacks political power. In the UK at present, it looks like the supposed left, tertiary educated, urban elites are rapidly losing their previous lofty status, so I would expect that group and their retains to be the ones who cop it. One can but hope, anyway.

Of course, the last time the English persecuted a comparable group, the Puritans were forced to settle in the lands that would one day become the USA. ;)
not screwed enough apparently. not screwed enough to come off the identitarian bullshit. not screwed enough to start backing away from open borders and technocratic globalism. not screwed enough to learn their lesson.

Overall it is very good that we have a tory government with a decent majority particularly given the circumstances. In the long run though I can't help thinking we will need a decent opposition party to replace the looney left and the traitor lib dems, if only to keep the Conservatives from getting complacent.

I can't even think like what a president is suppos[…]

My reflections on 2020 AD

Why didn't you write something explaining "b[…]

Is Genocide Normal and Healthy?

I find it very funny that at least two members who[…]

Since 9/11, we have depended on Arabs giving the […]