China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 27 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15069060
late wrote:Looks that way to me.

You need to get on a highly transmissible disease really fast, and that didn't happen.

But you can look at the quarantine efforts as mitigation.


We are in uncharted territory now because we don't know what will happen in the West (or in the 3rd world) where governments are reluctant to take strong quarantine measures as in China. Experts consider that it'll reach 60% or the world population without containment.

Soon the safest place to be could be Wuhan :hmm:
#15069062
Atlantis wrote:
We are in uncharted territory now because we don't know what will happen in the West (or in the 3rd world) where governments are reluctant to take strong quarantine measures as in China. Experts consider that it'll reach 60% or the world population without containment.

Soon the safest place to be could be Wuhan :hmm:



There is really cheap property in the northern reaches of Canada, places that take hours to fly to from the nearest city. You'd be in a tiny town, but there would be a store, and a good chance of avoiding the disease.

Of course, if you do get injured or sick, you're totally screwed.
#15069186
late wrote:There is really cheap property in the northern reaches of Canada, places that take hours to fly to from the nearest city. You'd be in a tiny town, but there would be a store, and a good chance of avoiding the disease.

Of course, if you do get injured or sick, you're totally screwed.


I already live in a remote place miles away from civilization and could self-isolate for years since we grow most of our own food. We are in a Mediterranean climate, which means that we have fresh vegetables and fruit from our own land all year round. I'm not vegetarian, but hunting isn't for me. That would make it hard to be self-sufficient in Canada. I also put a lot of work into the land to make it fertile. I wouldn't want to lose that.
#15069189
Ter wrote:https://youtu.be/vWJBJq-tVsc

For those interested.
For most Pofo posters, there is still time to prepare yourselves.
It is probably coming to as place near you.


Well, not in China though, they had .... 18 cases outside of Hubei/Wuhan ... :knife:
#15069194
JohnRawls wrote:Well, not in China though, they had .... 18 cases outside of Hubei/Wuhan ... :knife:

It is charming to see how you still believe the data emanating from China.
There are witnesses and video from China showing that the number of affected and dead are a multitude of what they are declaring.
Also, forget about China. There are plenty of places where the virus is becoming epidemic without China connections, like South Korea, Iran, Italy and probably others.
#15069197
Rancid wrote:How does one prepare themselves? Take a bunch of vitamin c?


Drlee gave an overview of preparations to take in this thread
and/go to a survival forum for inspiration

http://www.thesleuthjournal.com/preppin ... e-prepare/



And some ideas which I have shamelessly copied and paster from somewhere else:
► Show Spoiler


Good luck !
#15069249
Rancid wrote:How does one prepare themselves? Take a bunch of vitamin c?



Compensation for any diet deficiency is one thing. I’m told vit D is the main one, if you don’t get enough sun. But vit C if you don’t get enough fresh fruit, omega 3 if you don’t get enough fish and nuts. I think the body can synthesis the rest.

The best help to boost the immune system comes from good sleeping habits, believe it or not. The immune system does its job while you are sleeping, so getting over 7hours of deep sleep each night gives your body the best shot at fighting off the virus.

Change habits. More exercise, give up smoking. Better hygiene. Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. Do it frequently. Don’t touch your face expect after washing. Close the toilet seat before flushing. Stops the virus in your poo poo going aerosol. Teach your family and friends the same hygiene standards.

Avoid crowds. Maybe start riding a bike to work rather than catching the bus. Possibly arrange to work from home if you can. Be rude at dinners and parties so they don’t invite you back.

Stock up on food and other supplies if you thing there will be a run on the supermarkets and you also expect resupply to be disrupted.

You could review your health insurance.


Umm, what else?
#15069287
Ter wrote:It is charming to see how you still believe the data emanating from China.
There are witnesses and video from China showing that the number of affected and dead are a multitude of what they are declaring.
Also, forget about China. There are plenty of places where the virus is becoming epidemic without China connections, like South Korea, Iran, Italy and probably others.

Ter, uhhh, what do you think the smiley meant?
#15069303
Ter wrote:I apologise, it was a misunderstanding.

More than 600 cases in South Korea, they will start locking cities down :(
Iran looks terrible also.


There are rumours that XI wants to cases to drop to 0 outside of Wuhan/Hubei by 2nd of March. I guess they are on track. :eek:
#15069310
I think preparation is of some benefit. There is no harm in taking in some food that you can use in the future whether you are quarantined or not.

What I don't know (and can't find) is a really good estimate of how deadly this disease actually is. China is of little help because they have so obviously cooked the books that I do not believe much of what is coming from there. Equally obviously, this disease is very contagious. Probably far more than we have been led to believe.

While I appreciate Foxdemon's care of the "geezers" I fear to much has been made of this. I fear that younger people may assume this disease will be like a bad cold for them. That is not a good assumption. It kills young people too. And a lot of them.

An opportunity to say some bullshit. If you smoke....stop. No shit. Smoking and this disease will kill you it appears.

It remains to be seen if there will be any season abatement for this disease. I am skeptical now because of just how contagious it is. All we need to do is look at the Diamond Princess to see that it is no common flu virus.

You may as well try masks. It can't hurt if you can find them. In all likelihood you will start using a mask after several cases are reported in your area. That may well be too late but if you are ill it is a good idea to wear one to slow spreading it to others.

China has a very real advantage in fighting this disease though. They can order people around. That will not work well in the West. Not at all. I just can't see our oligarchs in the US allowing any kind of a significant quarantine. The administration will ignore the virus until it is completely out of control then throw some (totally ineffective) money at treatment.

As I see it, our best hope is a combination of two things. The good fortune that this virus demonstrates some seasonality and a vaccine and/or treatment. I do not put much hope in a quick-widely available vaccine. Maybe something for health care workers but for the general public....can you see the current government in the US confiscating a patent and going into mass production of anything? Besides. We can't get people to take a flu shot now. In 2017-2018 season about 37% of people got a flu shot. Despite the fact that the season was a particularly deadly one, vaccine use was down 6%. (I would like to thank our deadly anti-vaxers for this little miracle.) One thing is certain. Even if all we have is 37% coverage from a vaccine that is 40% effective, this would make a monumental difference. And since we appear to be dealing with a single strain so far, a vaccine might be much more effective than that.

Odd as it may sound, in the US this is an election season. We need to see people writing to their elected representatives about CV19. It must become a campaign issue. THEN and only then will something meaningful get done. I honestly believe that most people in the US, looking at our 35 official cases, believe that CV19 will be little more than an annoyance for us. I hope they are right.
#15069329
Ter wrote:
Drlee gave an overview of preparations to take in this thread
and/go to a survival forum for inspiration

http://www.thesleuthjournal.com/preppin ... e-prepare/



And some ideas which I have shamelessly copied and paster from somewhere else:
► Show Spoiler


Good luck !


I'm going to stock up on some of these items.
  • 1
  • 25
  • 26
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 115

Lay off the shrooms man and living in a delusiona[…]

Worship myself? Who do you think I am, Donald Tru[…]

Is that a joke or are you one of those stupid Ame[…]

The reason China has so many factory "zombie[…]