White House fears coronavirus could shape Trump's 2020 fortunes - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Rancid wrote:Maybe, but I'm not so sure of that. According to China 80% of cases are mild. This thing is fatal for older folks and people with pre-existing conditions. The election could still happen.

Any infection that can lead to some people (other than they are due) dying is not mild. There are a lot of younger Chinese dying of the disease. Even the first death in Hong Kong was not even 40 -- diabetes is not a condition so serious (unlike HIV / AIDS) that merits instant death from another virus.

And having one's lungs crippled for an extended period (although possibly shorter than things like tuberculosis) is a risk that no individual is willing to take.
annatar1914 wrote:Yeah it is, own it. You're so unhinged by Donald Trump and the Clinton narrative that you're willing to see a misfortune come to your own country in order to see Trump gone, if that's the price to pay. Lot of traitors get started down on that road. And there's not much of anything lower than a traitor.

1. It really depends on how one perceives a particular group to be one's own or not.
2. The quoted deduction has to be based on a hidden precondition that the speakers' fellow people (who do not necessarily support Trump) is defenseless against the disease. If the speaker, instead, does the necessary precaution and recommends others to do so, it is OK for him to wish the epidemic does happen nevertheless, because he ensured that the epidemic would hurt his enemies but not his allies and fellows.
3. A stricter argument for treason also requires the speaker to be capable to induce the said epidemic himself.

Do not get me wrong, I immensely hate that guy, but I think we should be more reasonable in criticising his arguments.
Last edited by Patrickov on 23 Feb 2020 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
Patrickov wrote:
Any infection that can lead to some people (other than they are due) dying is not mild. There are a lot of younger Chinese dying of the disease. Even the first death in Hong Kong was not even 40 -- diabetes is not a condition so serious (unlike HIV / AIDS) that merits instant death from another virus.

And having one's lungs crippled for an extended period (although possibly shorter than things like tuberculosis) is a risk that no individual is willing to take.

fair enough
Trump is doing a good job. He first banned Chinese travellers from entering the United States just after the global health alert issued by the WHO. A new Level 2 Travel Alert has just been issued by the State Department regarding the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak in Japan and South Korea. The department says "older adults and those with chronic medical conditions" should consider postponing nonessential travel to Japan and South Korea because they "may be at higher risk for severe disease."
Anyone present during election rallies, be it for Trump or for anyone else is in danger of getting infected with the Corona virus.
It is not a good time for elections.

Which reminds me of a monarch visiting China some years ago.
They were showing him around and he asked the guide "Do you have elections here?"
The guide answered "Almost evely day sir !"
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Then why do Mexicans keep going to USA? IIRC, […]

@Pants-of-dog If you put it to a vote, you'd fin[…]

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]