EU-BREXIT - Page 324 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By ingliz
Ter wrote:I do not see any problem with that.

Most Brexity people were 'incensed', according to the FT. 'So much for Taking back control' they said. 'Why can't we make the new passports? British jobs for British people. The UK’s De La Rue made the old ones'.

:lol:
By Beren
Ter wrote:It seems to me that those customers will flock to the London financial centre by themselves.

It's very likely to happen indeed, that's why the City had been so pro-Brexit all along.

An update on ‘Brexit & the City – the impact so far’
Cities emerging into new post-Brexit financial centers
Anxiety running high about London's future as a financial centre
In the wake of Brexit, Amsterdam is the new London

And so on. But they shouldn't worry in London because you don't see a problem. :lol:

Ter wrote:I personally consider the fishing rights important because in an age of dwindling natural resources, fish are a significant part of people's nutrition and for the UK, a natural wealth. Iceland went to war with the UK over fishing rights not so long ago. It is not a small matter.

But the Brits have too much fish anyway, don't they? What the hell will they do with them? Will they let them live happily in the sea like fish? However, it can be a really spectacular territorial dispute anyway, the UK gov could get back control spectacularly indeed. :roll:
By Ter
Beren wrote:And so on. But they shouldn't worry in London because you don't see a problem.

Indeed, the soup will not be as hot as when it is served :excited:
We can revisit this aspect of BREXIT in a year or so and see who was right.
The lamenting for London which you regurgitated was part of "project fear".
It is over now.

Beren wrote:But the Brits have too much fish anyway, don't they? What the hell will they do with them?

One can never have too much fish.
Any surplus can be exported, or canned, turned in to fish meal, and so on.
It will be an excellent opportunity to commission new fishing vessels (or purchase European vessels that will become redundant once they can no longer plunder British wealth :D ).
This will also create some job opportunities.
I tell you, it is a win-win situation :excited:
By Beren
Ter wrote:The lamenting for London which you regurgitated was part of "project fear".

And who do you think paid for it? And why?

Ter wrote:One can never have too much fish.
Any surplus can be exported

I wonder whether where they'd intend to export the surplus. To Australia perhaps? :hmm:
By Ter
Beren wrote:I wonder whether where they'd intend to export the surplus. To Australia perhaps? :hmm:

Why do you (and @ingliz ) seem to predict an adversarial relationship between the EU and the UK ? That would not be in anyone's interest.
I think you remainers are just voicing your frustration at the British people's victory over the EU.
Let cooler heads prevail. I am convinced an equitable solution can be found for all outstanding issues pertaining to trade between the two entities.
By Beren
Ter wrote:Why do you (and @ingliz ) seem to predict an adversarial relationship between the EU and the UK ?

I just responded to you. I personally don't think BoJo really means to be tough, like he was rather soft while negotiating a deal on Ireland. However, no matter in what circles the UK intends to go around, at the end they always run into the EU's upper hand.
By fokker
Ter wrote:And why is that a problem ?
Those Poles are in Poland, not in the UK...
Very few companies have the required security clearance to print money or passports and I suppose a tender procedure was used to allocate the order. I do not see any problem with that.

:roll:

New British passports after Brexit (due to Poles) being printed in Poland? That is hilarious :lol: . I really expected better from Boris.
By fokker
I think the way to move forward after Brexit is not just a free trade agreement between EU and Britain, but a wider economic area between US, Canada, Britain, Australia (Anglosphere) and EU, instead of having bilateral agreements. Russia would not be included. Britain alone has a poor chance to negotiate a good trade agreement with EU after Brexit due to the imperialist nature of the EU. In wider economic area EU can no longer demand that disputes must be resolved at EU courts and regulations be applied to all members. The deal could include a points based system for migration, similar to what Britain came up with lately (find a job remotely, be qualified for it, sufficient salary or Phd, clear criminal record, interview at embassy) that wouldn't take unreasonable amount of time to get approved or rejected (max 2-3 months). It wouldn't require any political integration. Britain cannot and doesn't want to be part of the EU due to regulations and uncontrolled migration. I believe such a deal would be in Britain's best interest and also in the interest of western countries.

Unlike the more simple plan to negotiate with individual countries named above which involves high risk of unfair treatment for Britain the above plan also includes a "counter-offensive" element of giving dissatisfied EU members the option of seceding. EU members are not happy with the current situation when the organization has no reverse gear, the EU commission is merely approved by EU parliament resulting in growing number of EU regulations.
By snapdragon
Ter wrote:Indeed, the soup will not be as hot as when it is served :excited:
We can revisit this aspect of BREXIT in a year or so and see who was right.
The lamenting for London which you regurgitated was part of "project fear".
It is over now.

It hasn't even begun.
Even you, as an American living in the USA should know this as you take so much interest in it.

Are you a chicken farmer? You hoping to sell a load of chlorinated chickens or force fed beef to the UK?

One can never have too much fish.
Any surplus can be exported, or canned, turned in to fish meal, and so on.
It will be an excellent opportunity to commission new fishing vessels (or purchase European vessels that will become redundant once they can no longer plunder British wealth :D ).
This will also create some job opportunities.
I tell you, it is a win-win situation :excited:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ed-no-deal

The fishing industry needs a free trade deal with the EU to survive.

I don't give a shit, personally. Serves them right.
By Ter
snapdragon wrote:Even you, as an American living in the USA should know this as you take so much interest in it.

:lol: You have no idea how wrong you are.
My interest in BREXIT was mainly because I am against the EU.
I am neither British nor American and I don't reside in Europe or America.

snapdragon wrote:The fishing industry needs a free trade deal with the EU to survive.

First of all, I do not believe that.
And secondly, the EU needs the fish swimming in British waters.
After all the grandstanding they will reach a compromise.
By Beren
Ter wrote:My interest in BREXIT was mainly because I am against the EU.

You're honest about it and don't pose like an Anglophile or a wannabe Anglo at least.
By snapdragon
There must be a reason Ter is against the EU.

We know as far as Russia is concerned it has too much strength.

And we know the US are against it for much the same reason, really.

The EU impedes both countries of their dream of world domination.
By foxdemon
Beren wrote:You're honest about it and don't pose like an Anglophile or a wannabe Anglo at least.

How exactly does one ‘pose like an Anglophile’? Sounds like a rather bigoted statement.

snapdragon wrote:There must be a reason Ter is against the EU.

Could be because the EU is trying to turn the good people of Europe into bug munching, dumb blonds.
By Beren

He's from Israel. :lol:

But Ter loves to hate anyway, which could be also because he's from Israel.

foxdemon wrote:How exactly does one ‘pose like an Anglophile'?

They act like they care about the UK first and foremost while their primary motive being that they hate the EU.

Sounds like a rather bigoted statement.

Oh really? How is it bigoted? :)

Could be because the EU is trying to turn the good people of Europe into bug munching, dumb blonds.

What statement does that sound like? :lol:
By Atlantis

That's why it is the sacred duty of progressives the world over to support the EU with all their might. It's the only thing that protects us from imperialism.

foxdemon wrote:How exactly does one ‘pose like an Anglophile’?

Ask @Kaiserschmarrn. But the wannabe Anglos and imperialist lackeys are even worse.
By snapdragon
They hate the EU for nefarious reasons of their own.

I thought Israel was quite friendly and practically one of us - or rather, them, now.

I don't mind other people having an opinion, but not when they try and kid on they're British.

I'm now a rejoiner.

The idiots across the road are all sad and bewildered because Muslims aren't going home and they've lost their free TV licence.
I pointed out they knew leaving would involve sacrifice, but they didn't think that meant them.
Now all other people have to do is roll up their sleeves and make Britain great again.
By fokker

I live in EU and I'm also eurosceptic. It doesn't have to be related to country of residence. I dislike many things about the EU - the way EU commission is elected, how finances are negotiated, size of budget, uncontrolled migration leading to xenophobia, there is no reverse if you want part of your sovereignty back except for "Brexit" which is a suicidal move for many members.

Russia doesn't have too much strength. Russia got significantly weakened after 1990s, basically Central powers war goals of WW1 have been met a century later. It is nowhere near as powerful as was the former communist bloc headed by Soviet Union. It just needs to be contained, which is what US is doing. Russia is very dissatisfied with the current situation, it doesn't understand why Ukraine and former Warsaw pact countries don't want to be allied with it anymore.

US is against it for economic reasons. It wants markets and EU is protecting them with regulations.

Brits need to accept Brexit is definite and it cannot be reversed by rejoining the EU. I believe we can only progress to a bigger economic area (trade only, no political integration) I proposed in previous post that would include Anglosphere and the EU. I believe that all pro EU Brits should refocus on this goal. Britain has a unique historical opportunity to take the initiative and propose an economic bloc that would be fair to everyone. Britain alone cannot get good trade deals as it is used to as it is too small economy in comparison to US and EU, therefore its future is in the role of a mediator for fair trade in a bigger economic bloc.

snapdragon wrote:I'm now a rejoiner.

I think you need to reconsider my proposal as in my opinion it is a more interesting one for Britain than EU membership.

Atlantis wrote:Ask @Kaiserschmarrn. But the wannabe Anglos and imperialist lackeys are even worse.

Small EU countries see Germany and France as using EU for its imperialist ambitions. When I hear you complain about US imperialism it sounds very hypocritical to me.
By snapdragon
fokker wrote:I live in EU and I'm also eurosceptic. It doesn't have to be related to country of residence. I dislike many things about the EU - the way EU commission is elected, how finances are negotiated, size of budget, uncontrolled migration leading to xenophobia, there is no reverse if you want part of your sovereignty back except for "Brexit" which is a suicidal move for many members.

How would you prefer the commission be elected? Nobody elects the Civil Service and that's more or less all it is.

I'm not really sure what uncontrolled immigration has to do with the EU? Do you mean the free movement of people?

Russia doesn't have too much strength. Russia got significantly weakened after 1990s, basically Central powers war goals of WW1 have been met a century later. It is nowhere near as powerful as was the former communist bloc headed by Soviet Union. It just needs to be contained, which is what US is doing. Russia is very dissatisfied with the current situation, it doesn't understand why Ukraine and former Warsaw pact countries don't want to be allied with it anymore.

Russia doesn't like the EU being so powerful.

quote]US is against it for economic reasons. It wants markets and EU is protecting them with regulations.[/quote]

Yep.

Brits need to accept Brexit is definite and it cannot be reversed by rejoining the EU. I believe we can only progress to a bigger economic area (trade only, no political integration) I proposed in previous post that would include Anglosphere and the EU. I believe that all pro EU Brits should refocus on this goal. Britain has a unique historical opportunity to take the initiative and propose an economic bloc that would be fair to everyone. Britain alone cannot get good trade deals as it is used to as it is too small economy in comparison to US and EU, therefore its future is in the role of a mediator for fair trade in a bigger economic bloc.

Can't be done. If it's not going to be a complete hot mess, then it needs some pooling of sovereignty.

I think the UK will quietly rejoin, myself.

I think you need to reconsider my proposal as in my opinion it is a more interesting one for Britain than EU membership.

Sorry, no. I just see it as being at the mercy of poor trade deals.

Small EU countries see Germany and France as using EU for its imperialist ambitions. When I hear you complain about US imperialism it sounds very hypocritical to me.

Small EU countries have done very well out of belonging to the EU.

Only a fool would claim the EU was perfect. It certainly is not.

But the bottom line is we are much better off in than out.

Unless you are very wealthy, of course.
By fokker
snapdragon wrote:How would you prefer the commission be elected? Nobody elects the Civil Service and that's more or less all it is.

To work more similarly like in parliamentary democracy - a coalition of parties with majority to nominate members of EU commission, with European Council (heads of states) having veto power over nominations. Primary requirement for position in the commission would be qualification to work in given area. Positions should not be switched between terms unless there is consensus they didn't do their job well.

snapdragon wrote:I'm not really sure what uncontrolled immigration has to do with the EU? Do you mean the free movement of people?

Yes, it needs some control. Right now mostly unqualified workers migrate as skilled workers want to maintain at least a similar living standard. You may be surprised but working in Western EU countries doesn't always mean better living standard for skilled workers. I would be paid about the same salary in Germany and only slightly higher in UK, but at the expense of owning a smaller house (due to higher property prices in UK). The result is that unqualified workers are missing in Eastern EU and they are importing workers from Ukraine and Serbia. Similarly like those unqualified Eastern EU workers in Britain, those from Ukraine and Serbia have almost zero chance of ever owning a house/apartment due to their low wages. Skilled workers tend to consider issues in more detail. They migrate with intention to integrate and call their new country their home. They will also brings funds with them to buy a house as renting is undesirable in the long term. Unqualified workers are mainly motivated to earn money and bring it home. There is risk Eastern EU members will start having similar problems like Brits with Polish immigrants (people dislike when foreigners cause trouble, are rude, speak their language in public).

snapdragon wrote:I think the UK will quietly rejoin, myself.

That would be a huge humiliation for UK. There is also no guarantee it would get the same deal it had before. I don't think any PM would like to get that humiliated. If they didn't get a good deal, it would mean the end of their political career.
Last edited by fokker on 25 Feb 2020 22:46, edited 2 times in total.
By Rich
snapdragon wrote:I'm now a rejoiner.

The idiots across the road are all sad and bewildered because Muslims aren't going home

Change might not be as radical as some people might like, but going by what's been announced there has been a radical change on immigration policy. Boris seems to really be delivering to lower class voters whose priority was immigration reduction. Obviously a lot of people are terrified this could lead to rising wages.

Now of course this might also lead to rising wages for care staff, but so what Britain should be able to manage an ageing population without resorting to driving down wages through mass immigration. We want a labour shortage. We want to strengthen the bargaining power of the employee against the employer in the market place, whether that's private company or the NHS.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]