My reflections on 2020 AD - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
Hindsite wrote:Donald Trump: We will cherish, defend our Christian heritage
Sep 9, 2016
FOX News

The Faith of Donald Trump
Feb 15, 2018
CBN News

None of that is Donald Trump talking about his personal Christianity. And Paula White? :roll:

But anyway, there's a reason I pray for any earthly ruler...
annatar1914 wrote:None of that is Donald Trump talking about his personal Christianity. And Paula White? :roll:

But anyway, there's a reason I pray for any earthly ruler...

How about this one?
God is the ultimate’: How Trump talks about his faith
Feb 7, 2019
Washington Post
Hindsite wrote:I am not a prophet, but I believe you are wrong. We shall find out in time.
Praise the Lord.

@Donna now that is an escape to the future fallacy.
Saeko wrote:And nothing of value was lost.

Yeah, I don't know. I don't really give a fuck about people at all, I just think about the awesome ride that's just on the other side of tardmanity and how it would be a shame if nobody cool gets to take it because we were too fucking retarded to keep the shitheimers in check.
Here are some of my rather fanciful predictions. Don't take them too seriously - on the other hand, 2020 has had a habit of upsetting all the applecarts...

*Biden's rapey past will finally catch up with him, and he will be presented with his walking papers.

*The Democrats won't bother to hold a Convention, citing the danger of coronavirus. They will have a teleconference of Party Leaders instead.

*The Democrats will pick a nominee with 0 pledged delegates. Possibly a nominee who did not even run this year. As @annatar1914 suggests, Clinton could make it on the ticket. (Note: The Democratic Party is a private organization. It has no legal obligation to hold fair and transparent elections, nor to abide by their results.)

*The President could legally dispense with elections, at least in GOP-controlled states:

If the pandemic gets so severe that we cannot responsibly hold in-person elections, Congress should require states to allow no-excuse absentee balloting. But if Trump does not want to risk a loss at the polls, he can exploit a constitutional shortcut around free and fair elections. The president can ask Republican-controlled state legislatures to assign their electoral votes to him—without allowing any citizen to cast a ballot for president. This maneuver would constitute an appalling assault on democracy. But it would be legal.

As the 2016 election reminded the country, the president is chosen by the Electoral College, not the popular vote. There are 538 electors, and a candidate needs 270 of them to win. Currently, every state assigns electors to the candidate who won the popular vote statewide. (Two states add a twist that’s irrelevant here.) But the Constitution does not require states to assign their electors on the basis of the statewide vote. It does not even require a statewide vote. Rather, it explains that each state “shall appoint” its electors “in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct.” In other words, each state legislature gets to decide how electors are appointed—and, by extension, who gets their votes.

Today, every state legislature has delegated this task to the people. But at first, state legislatures just did it themselves. In the first presidential election, for instance, the legislatures of Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, New Jersey, and South Carolina appointed electors directly. Eventually, every state moved toward the modern system. But the Supreme Court confirmed in 1892’s McPherson v. Blacker that states were free to revert to the old method, and in 2000’s Bush v. Gore, the court reiterated this point. The majority declared that the state legislature “may, if it so chooses, select the electors itself,” and retains authority to “take back the power to appoint electors” even after switching to a statewide vote.

This maneuver will require that he convince a sufficient number of GOP state legislatures to play along. How much would you bet they wouldn't?
quetzalcoatl wrote:Here are some of my rather fanciful predictions. Don't take them too seriously - on the other hand, 2020 has had a habit of upsetting all the applecarts...

*Biden's rapey past will finally catch up with him, and he will be presented with his walking papers.

*The Democrats won't bother to hold a Convention, citing the danger of coronavirus. They will have a teleconference of Party Leaders instead.

*The Democrats will pick a nominee with 0 pledged delegates. Possibly a nominee who did not even run this year. As @annatar1914 suggests, Clinton could make it on the ticket. (Note: The Democratic Party is a private organization. It has no legal obligation to hold fair and transparent elections, nor to abide by their results.)

*The President could legally dispense with elections, at least in GOP-controlled states:

This maneuver will require that he convince a sufficient number of GOP state legislatures to play along. How much would you bet they wouldn't?

So many people forget that a Republic can be a rather illiberal and even Authoritarian thing if need's be. The word ''Republic'' in English comes from the Latin ''Res Publica'', as in the ''Common-wealth/Public Good/Common Good''. Trouble is, what that ''Common Good'' is, is what the disagreements in Modern politics are all about.
Hindsite wrote:How about this one?
God is the ultimate’: How Trump talks about his faith
Feb 7, 2019
Washington Post

Oh boy, you are showing me that video... I actually looked for that video as evidence for what I was saying :|

I will just say as to my last word on this one matter, that I hope President Trump becomes a better man through this time he has in office, because of this time he has in office, because we the American people have a need for that.
annatar1914 wrote:So many people forget that a Republic can be a rather illiberal and even Authoritarian thing if need's be. The word ''Republic'' in English comes from the Latin ''Res Publica'', as in the ''Common-wealth/Public Good/Common Good''. Trouble is, what that ''Common Good'' is, is what the disagreements in Modern politics are all about.

That is such a good point. A lot of people think democratic republic is the end of history but really it's only just slightly better than monarchy. It can still be despotic, it can still go horribly wrong. The direction of progress is libertarian, republics are fucking deathtraps.
Sivad wrote:That is such a good point. A lot of people think democratic republic is the end of history but really it's only just slightly better than monarchy. It can still be despotic, it can still go horribly wrong. The direction of progress is libertarian, republics are fucking deathtraps.

Well, I'm not there with you in that thinking yet, but I do believe that it's important to help people clarify in their minds what they're dealing with when they come together in a political framework. I do agree that they can become despotic and go horribly wrong however, which truth seems blindingly obvious now by almost all sane persons concerned.
annatar1914 wrote:Oh boy, you are showing me that video... I actually looked for that video as evidence for what I was saying :|

I will just say as to my last word on this one matter, that I hope President Trump becomes a better man through this time he has in office, because of this time he has in office, because we the American people have a need for that.

President Trump did say those things, but you should keep in mind that it was compiled by the Washington Post that hate him with a passion.
Hindsite wrote:President Trump did say those things, but you should keep in mind that it was compiled by the Washington Post that hate him with a passion.
:knife: Irrelevant. You admit he said those things and that they are facts, so you're WRONG.

Facts are not fake news.

Trump had more information than most people and he still lied about the virus.
Here's where I'm on this issue of President Trump and the Coronavirus;

I don't like President Trump. He is an asshole of assholes, and always has been. A supreme egotist but quite brilliant in his narrow capitalist apex predator kind of way. But all the same, easy to unlike his adopted persona which he uses quite adeptly. However, his flaws as a human being are those of an actual human being

That being said, I suspect that some of the Coronavirus media generated hysteria has a political aim, the desperate aim of hanging many deaths on his Presidency so that he loses the 2020 election to whatever horrible piece of shit the Democrats can hold together long enough to dump in the White House. ''Never let a crisis go to waste". I saw it with Hurricane Katrina against President Bush the Younger, so it's not crazy to suspect they'd do even worse with a President whom they hate by several orders of magnitude more than Bush...

Do I really believe that there are people on the Anti-Trump side who are so monstrously evil that they'd scream their way through the media outlets to convince people that Trump murdered so many people? You can take that to the bank, there are people on PoFo that would be willing to see millions die (especially ''Deplorables'' if possible) as long as it torpedoed having another four years of Donald Trump as President.

Such people can never, ever, be allowed anywhere near possessing political power in the United States or anywhere else. President Trump would be much preferable in my opinion, and I suspect that of many others too.
Godstud wrote::knife: Irrelevant. You admit he said those things and that they are facts, so you're WRONG.

Facts are not fake news.

Trump had more information than most people and he still lied about the virus.

And fake news by Trump haters are not facts.
Hallelu YaH
Hindsite wrote:And fake news are not facts.
Show me where Trump's statements are fake. They are not. Therefore, it's not fake news. Your fake news claims are downright idiotic, at this point.

Hail Man.
Godstud wrote:Show me where Trump's statements are fake. They are not. Therefore, it's not fake news. Your fake news claims are downright idiotic, at this point.

Hail Man.

Everyone should know that the Washington Post hates President Trump because they always attempt to spin things to present the President in the worse light. They certainly did not compile what President Trump said in a way to make him look like a good Christian, because that would be the opposite of everything they have attempted to do in the past. So when they present it in a misleading way, it becomes their normal fake news.
So, let me get this straight. Posting things hat Trump said is BAD, now? It was not presented in a misleading way. They started what he said then, and what he said later. Trump contradicts himself, or says stupid things that are later regrettable(if he could do such a thing). It's easy to see by all the but the most blinded, infatuated, and obsessed of his cultists.

Trump is not a good Christian. He's a philanderer who has cheated on all 3 of his wives.
I experience a very positive side to our present isolation : our family came closer together.
We talk to each other much more than earlier, we even reintroduced tea time in the afternoon, with biscuits :)
Ter wrote:I experience a very positive side to our present isolation : our family came closer together.
We talk to each other much more than earlier, we even reintroduced tea time in the afternoon, with biscuits :)

I have the feeling that many people are going to come out of these present times, and the situation we're all in more or less, as better people. I really believe that.

The link and quote has been posted. As well as l[…]

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]