" Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response" - Page 73 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Godstud wrote:Trump could still salvage this if he stopped worrying about how many followers he had on Facebook and led, by instituting some federal regulations on quarantines , public gatherings, etc. In short, deal with the pandemic, instead of looking for photo ops.

Sadly, USA will probably pay for this lack of leadership.

@Julian658 Nothing is working because you have guys like the Georgia governor, who are responding far to late.

2 days ago... WTF.
Georgia governor admits he just learned asymptomatic people can spread COVID-19
https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/geor ... 1570885546

It is a national sport to denigrate people from the south. They live on another planet and can be ignorant. The extreme right is full of ignorant people.
Julian658 wrote:It was stated at the last WH briefing that people without insurance would not be billed for treatment.

That's good to hear. Hopefully the bureaucracy doesn't fuck it up and start billing people though. I wonder if people with insurance will still have to pay for treatment?

Julian658 wrote: Swine flu was a cakewalk in 2009 as the mortality was also much lower, the epidemic barely made the news.

Yea, I caught the Swine flu when I was living in Chicago back then. :hmm: Worst flu I've ever had in my life. It gave me heart palpitations. That's the symptom that prompted me to go to the doctor.

Julian658 wrote:All we can do is wait this one out. By the way Cuomo still has ventilators and he can get many more from other hospitals in the state.

Yea, I figured that much. I noticed that news outlets stop reported that NYC is going to run out of ventilators, so I had to assume they had received more. These news outlets never report the good news.

Julian658 wrote:As for PPEs a nurse or doc working in ICU can probably go through 30 masks and gowns in just one shift. The need is massive.

Yea, i know the FDA is now approving the use of Chinese PPE. Probably because of the massive need.

Pants-of-dog wrote:That makes sense. At this stage, they either had to do that or be cut out of the evolving strategy entirely.

I think you're giving them too much credit. I think what they did, was run the numbers and figured out that the damage from the negative PR to still require co-pays, and full payments from HD plans would cost them more.

Insurance companies are a bunch of fucking scammers, their executives should be in prison, and all the admins/middle people should be receiving unemployment until they can find work in less predatory industries.
Julian658 wrote:It is a national sport to denigrate people from the south. They live on another planet and can be ignorant. The extreme right is full of ignorant people.
I am making a point that if there was more leadership from Trump, this would not happen. Trump downplayed the virus, however. Others took their information from him.

Rancid wrote:Yea, I caught the Swine flu when I was living in Chicago back then. :hmm: Worst flu I've ever had in my life.
I have an Irish friend who spent 43 days in a coma from the Swine Flu. He is pretty fearful of COVID.
Godstud wrote:I am making a point that if there was more leadership from Trump, this would not happen. Trump downplayed the virus, however. Others took their information from him.

Dr. Fauci also downplayed the virus. There was not a whole lot of concern in January or February. BTW,it was not only Trump that downplayed the virus. The mayor of New York City Diblasio told all New Yorkers that corona was NOTHING. BTW, Diblasio is from the North East and very left wing. This is a short video, just a few minutes.

Mayor Diblasio tells New Yorkers not to worry.

The Chinese new year parade went on as scheduled in New York City during the early stages of the epidemic. Nancy Pelosi, the house speaker attended the parade and said "we are all safe". Watch video at 2:17

Nancy Pelosi celebrates Chinese new year in Chinatown New York while there is a Corona epidemic.

So yes, many Americans were careless. Carry on with your anti-America rant. :eh:
Godstud wrote: I have an Irish friend who spent 43 days in a coma from the Swine Flu. He is pretty fearful of COVID.

:eek:

I don't fear the COVID-19. I'm STRONG!!! :cough: :cough:

Actually, like I said, I believe me and my family already had it in early January.
Boy is this thread all over the map. Had to work like crazy and missed a bunch. I am gratified that Julian is starting to realize what a disaster the federal response has been.

Blanket statement. There is absolutely nothing to be learned by comparing this to influenza. There are a great number of reasons not the least of which is the mechanism of dying and counting deaths that are attributed to the flu. Flu death estimates come from a very complicated matrix of assumptions and data and can actually lag as much as 2 years. Flu deaths include other proximate causes of death. It also includes assumptions about how untested people died inside and outside the hospital. This is very different from how we are counting Corona Virus deaths. So let me recommend that we just stop doing the comparison. There is nothing to be learned from it and it does not excuse anything.

I said: We are likely going to lose way over 100,000 people. We should all be screaming for blood. But no. It has come home to me that most people will never confront it. They will know someone who died but what the hell. Their future employment will likely be seriously in jeopardy. Oh well, you know, lib'rals.

Monumentally stupid people, making monumentally stupid decisions about a problem that at its core any decent major general could manage and take weekends off. It is a murderous comedy. Unintelligent people. Gotta be that. Because it it is not they are a pile of psychopaths.

Wow, a physician that judges his patients in a negative manner, I feel bad for your patients. You seem to have political inclination dysphoria. An SJW locked inside the body of a Republican, :knife: :knife: :knife: .

No. A community health guy. I keep having to say that.

And Julian says he is not a Trump supporter all the while defending him with outrageously stupid ideas and excuses. Own it sport. Or admit that he is and has been fucking up by the numbers.

For the love of God the US ARmy engineers are building or have built hospitals and most are not even full.
In my state, Maryland, most Corona cases have been mild. I could go to my local hospital ER and bee seen within 20 minutes if I had a Corona unrelated illness.

When would you like them to build them? While you are laying dying in a hallway?

It is a national sport to denigrate people from the south. They live on another planet and can be ignorant. The extreme right is full of ignorant people.

Amen Brother. And they have hijacked the republican party. This is not new. Google "southern pivot".

All we can do is wait this one out. By the way Cuomo still has ventilators and he can get many more from other hospitals in the state.

Oh we can do a great deal more than that. A national lock down that is serious would help and Trump knows it. The thing is that he won't do the order for political reasons. If he does order the lock down he will be admitting that he did it too late. He needs to condemn the governors who have not done it and force their hand. Further. He has to stop the pathetic pandering that governors like mine did when he exempted gun shops and shooting ranges as "essential". Sickening.

As to New York having enough ventilators. Absolute bullshit. Really dude. Stop making things up. Having some available is not the same as having enough. Rationing is NOT a good thing.

As for PPEs a nurse or doc working in ICU can probably go through 30 masks and gowns in just one shift. The need is massive.

And you discovered this, when? Who has been screaming about this for a couple of months? I have plenty of masks and gloves right now. Why? Because I went against the Trump organization and ordered Chinese KN95 masks which 3M has been saying all are were every bit as good as theirs. The rumor is that the feds just allowed these masks to be used as PPE. It took them for fucking ever to make this no-brianer of a decision.

There was a plan to reopen Obamacare enrollment to get millions more into the plan.

At the last moment, Trump chickened out.

Disgraceful. I am sure he did this at the insistence of the health care insurers who do not want to take on any potential risk at this point. They have been silently watching this and have known for a long time that it would be very expensive.

The curve is still rising, therefore nothing has worked.

OK Julian. Do you want to stick with this or do you want me to embarrass you with the facts? Seriously. I think you simply made a mistake and said this out of frustration. I understand your frustration. I am frustrated too.

@Rancid Rancid: Time to raise the white flag?

I am not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that a doctor treating a desperately ill COVID patient should just pull of her gloves and walk away?

Right wingers can whine all they want about the "liberal African American" Mayor of San Francisco but she is a super hero for getting out in front of this. Her serious and some say draconian lock down of the city has saved, perhaps, hundreds of lives thus far and will save thousands in time. This is not an opinion. The numbers simply show that this was the right thing to do and that she did it far more quickly than anyone else.

"The surge we have been anticipating has not yet come," Dr. Jahan Fahimi, an emergency physician and medical director at the University of California San Francisco, said this week. "We're all kind of together holding our breaths."
As of Friday, the city reported 497 confirmed infections and seven deaths from the coronavirus. And while the availability of testing is still much lower than officials would like, the modest daily count compared to other major urban centers is a sign that early action in the country's second most densely populated city had an impact.
"This is what a flat curve looks like," Wachter said Friday. "And I think everybody's a little reluctant to talk about it too much because we're really hoping our good fortune continues and we're absolutely hoping that people don't change their behavior too soon."

So there it is. What else do we need to know?

Trump can and should order a national lock down right now. Does he have the authority? Yes he does.

As an aside. Now Julian about the USPHS. You asked what they are all doing now.

The USPHS is not its own thing except when certain of them are activated. So right now the majority of its officers (almost all health care professionals of one kind or another) are doing what they normally do. They are working in agencies like the Indian Health Service, the Federal Bureau of Prisons, the Coast Guard and Division of Immigration Health Services (and many more). They can be activated as teams and some have. If they are activated then they leave holes in some of the agencies above. Should they all be activated for federal disaster service? I am not sure. But I can tell you that NYC could use a hand right about now.

Dr. Fauci also downplayed the virus. There was not a whole lot of concern in January or February. BTW,it was not only Trump that downplayed the virus. The mayor of New York City Diblasio told all New Yorkers that corona was NOTHING. BTW, Diblasio is from the North East and very left wing. This is a short video, just a few minutes.

I am with you on this but with a different take. I am not so quick to label this guy as a hero. He may be because he has been able to nudge Trump where nobody else could have. But I would have preferred that he had been shouting from the rooftops for a long time now. He and the head of the CDC have known what is coming and have not, in my opinion, been loud enough. Still aren't. But then you and I both know that Trump does not listen to advice well at all. He is in full political disaster recovery mode right now. All the democrats have to do is play the tapes of Trump's outrageous pronouncements early on in this crisis and end them with a picture of Biden and Trump will be gone in November. But in the meantime I hope he still tries to get reelected. Because in his efforts to be reelected may be the motivation he seems to need to do anything at all.
Last edited by Drlee on 04 Apr 2020 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Drlee wrote:I am not sure what you mean by this.

It can mean whatever you want it to mean.

Drlee wrote:You can whine all you want about the "liberal African American" Mayor of San Francisco but she is a super hero for getting out in front of this. Her serious and some say draconian lock down of the city has saved, perhaps, hundreds of lives thus far and will save thousands in time. This is not an opinion. The numbers simply show that this was the right thing to do and that she did it far more quickly than anyone else.

I'm assuming that is not directed at me, as I've never mentioned San Francisco in any of my posts.
Drlee wrote:Boy is this thread all over the map. Had to work like crazy and missed a bunch. I am gratified that Julian is starting to realize what a disaster the federal response has been.

Blanket statement. There is absolutely nothing to be learned by comparing this to influenza. There are a great number of reasons not the least of which is the mechanism of dying and counting deaths that are attributed to the flu. Flu death estimates come from a very complicated matrix of assumptions and data and can actually lag as much as 2 years. Flu deaths include other proximate causes of death. It also includes assumptions about how untested people died inside and outside the hospital. This is very different from how we are counting Corona Virus deaths. So let me recommend that we just stop doing the comparison. There is nothing to be learned from it and it does not excuse anything.

So what do they do if they are not activated? PLease explain.

Do you know what would be refreshing? For someone here to just listen objectively to the experts about what ought to be done and give them their due. I mean really. You do 25 years of schooling only to have some wet behind the ears know-it-all lecture you about something they know nothing about.

Dr. Fauci was not that concerned in January. The appealing to authority debate fallacy is poor form (years of schooling).

We are likely going to lose way over 100,000 people. We should all be screaming for blood. But no. It has come home to me that most people will never confront it. They will know someone who died but what the hell. Their future employment will likely be seriously in jeopardy. Oh well, you know, lib'rals.

Between 12,000 and 60,000 people have died annually with Influenza since 2012.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

You are hysterical about this because you watch CNN all day. Yes, this is bad and worse than Influenza but America will survive.

Monumentally stupid people, making monumentally stupid decisions about a problem that at its core any decent major general could manage and take weekends off. It is a murderous comedy. Unintelligent people. Gotta be that. Because it it is not they are a pile of psychopaths.

I agree with you in that Trump is incompetent. However, he has been as incompetent as all Europeans leaders. Apparently Canada is doing incredibly well. What has Trudeau done that is different from what Trump did? Be specific.

And you know what is sad? I had to look after some pathetic idiot with a MAGA hat on the other day. Risk my life for someone who is to stupid to understand that it was the guy in the MAGA hat that put his life at risk in the first place.

Wow, a physician that judges his patients in a negative manner, I feel bad for your patients. You seem to have political inclination dysphoria. An SJW locked inside the body of a Republican, :knife: :knife: :knife: .

And Julian says he is not a Trump supporter all the while defending him with outrageously stupid ideas and excuses. Own it sport. Or admit that he is and has been fucking up by the numbers.

President Trump. Please put an Army infantry general in charge. Not some pentagon fool but a real infantry division commander. Give him your authority and get the fuck out of the way. Go play golf.

When would you like them to build them? While you are laying dying in a hallway?

Amen Brother. And they have hijacked the republican party. This is not new. Google "southern pivot".

Oh we can do a great deal more than that. A national lock down that is serious would help and Trump knows it. The thing is that he won't do the order for political reasons. If he does order the lock down he will be admitting that he did it too late. He needs to condemn the governors who have not done it and force their hand. Further. He has to stop the pathetic pandering that governors like mine did when he exempted gun shops and shooting ranges as "essential". Sickening.

As to New York having enough ventilators. Absolute bullshit. Really dude. Stop making things up. Having some available is not the same as having enough. Rationing is NOT a good thing.

And you discovered this, when? Who has been screaming about this for a couple of months? I have plenty of masks and gloves right now. Why? Because I went against the Trump organization and ordered Chinese KN95 masks which 3M has been saying all are were every bit as good as theirs. The rumor is that the feds just allowed these masks to be used as PPE. It took them for fucking ever to make this no-brianer of a decision.

Disgraceful. I am sure he did this at the insistence of the health care insurers who do not want to take on any potential risk at this point. They have been silently watching this and have known for a long time that it would be very expensive.

OK Julian. Do you want to stick with this or do you want me to embarrass you with the facts? Seriously. I think you simply made a mistake and said this out of frustration.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that a doctor treating a desperately ill COVID patient should just pull of her gloves and walk away?

You can whine all you want about the "liberal African American" Mayor of San Francisco but she is a super hero for getting out in front of this. Her serious and some say draconian lock down of the city has saved, perhaps, hundreds of lives thus far and will save thousands in time. This is not an opinion. The numbers simply show that this was the right thing to do and that she did it far more quickly than anyone else.

So there it is. What we need to know.

Trump can and should order a national lock down right now. Does he have the authority? Yes he does.

Now Julian about the USPHS. You asked what they are all doing now.

The USPHS is not its own thing except when certain of them are activated. So right now the majority of its officers (almost all health care professionals of one kind or another) are doing what they normally do. They are working in agencies like the Indian Health Service, the Federal Bureau of Prisons, the Coast Guard and Division of Immigration Health Services (and many more). They can be activated as teams and some have. If they are activated then they leave holes in some of the agencies above. Should they all be activated for federal disaster service? I am not sure. But I can tell you that NYC could use a hand right about now.

I am with you on this but with a different take. I am not so quick to label this guy as a hero. He may be because he has been able to nudge Trump where nobody else could have. But I would have preferred that he be shouting from the rooftops for a long time now. He and the head of the CDC has known what is coming and have not, in my opinion, been loud enough. Still aren't. But then you and I both know that Trump does not listen to advice well at all. He is in full political disaster recovery mode right now. All the democrats have to do is play the tapes of Trump's outrageous pronouncements early on and end them with a picture of Biden and Trump will be gone in November. But in the meantime I hope he still tries to get reelected. Because in his efforts to be reelected may be the motivation he seems to need to do something at all.

OK, that was a good explanation. IF I was Trump I would have closed the country down a long time ago. This is what Spain is doing. In the end the only thing that would work is to slow down the transmission rate to less than 1. As long as the transmission rate is greater than 1 the number of cases will go up. BTW, Spain and Italy are nations with a massive number of old people living within cities in apartments. That may explain the much higher mortality rate.

I am glad you have as many gowns and asks as you need. Had no idea you were in ICU. In which city?
Rancid wrote:
It was just announced that China is donating 1000 ventilators to NY. Hopefully they are not knockoffs like the covid-19 tests in spain. Of course, that's better than nothing.

Scoring points on Trump is as easy as playing basketball against a guy in a coma.
OK, that was a good explanation. IF I was Trump I would have closed the country down a long time ago. This is what Spain is doing. In the end the only thing that would work is to slow down the transmission rate to less than 1. As long as the transmission rate is greater than 1 the number of cases will go up. BTW, Spain and Italy are nations with a massive number of old people living within cities in apartments. That may explain the much higher mortality rate.

You are getting there on this. I think many people do not understand what "flattening the curve" means. It does not necessarily mean that fewer people will get the disease (though it should) but it means that those who contract the disease are cared for my a medical system that has the capacity and personnel to offer them the best of care. So if I get it and I need a ventilator, one is available for me. IF a great many cases come at once (as happened in Italy for example) the medical system lacks the tools and people necessary to save lives. So people die needlessly. If Italy had the same number of cases it has had so far, spread out over a year, for example, many of them would have been saved that have died so far.

Who knows what a year will bring? Clearly we may have a vaccine by then. We may have treatments by then. I certainly hope so. If we do not then we are going to live like we are now for a very long time.

I have a concern that I have not really heard expressed much. We are now in lock down mode. (Except for five states run by criminally stupid republican governors who refuse to do anything at all.) We may see a flattening of the curve by May-June. I hope people do not mistakenly attribute this to some seasonality like in other respiratory viruses. There may be seasonality but the verdict is out on that.

It was just announced that China is donating 1000 ventilators to NY.

And they will save thousands of American lives with them. How about a humble "thank you".

As I posted earlier, my Chinese friends sent me masks as soon as they heard about our problems here. I am grateful to them for doing this.
Drlee wrote:nd they will save thousands of American lives with them. How about a humble "thank you".

As I posted earlier, my Chinese friends sent me masks as soon as they heard about our problems here. I am grateful to them for doing this.

I agree, we should be thanking them.
Rancid wrote:It's a little more money than that, but yes, it's kind of weird how little money of the entire 2 trillion is going to people. You know, the REAL economy.

But they're not the real economy. They are refusing to buy DJIA indexed stocks. Because they hate our president and want him to fail.
Julian658 wrote:That is a good post. I cannot argue with success. 8)

What is Canada doing that the USA is not doing? Be specific please.

Thank you for your kind words.

Did you know Mrs Trudeau was diagnosed with Covid 19? If my beloved hubby had Covid and if we had 3 kids at home, i'd be passionate about containment, and he has been.

A lot of what we did is the same as what everyone else recommended, eg school closures personal spacing etc. But testing and tracing has been critical. British Columbia is like Florida with a high oldster population. Our provincial health minister recognized immediately this was a problem. Dr Bonnie Henry knew companies own a number of homes, and some of the staff would work in more than one. A sick staff worker could infect oldster in a number of homes, and these patients could infect others, including non-residents, so she focused on sorting out that mess.

What she also determined was the earlier people were put on ventilators, the greater their survival rate.

What Prime Minister Trudeau didn't do, but bloody well should, is appeal to Cuba/China for Interferon  Alpha 2b. See the foĺlowing:

Over 45 countries ask Cuba for Interferon to treat Covid 19

http://www.telesurenglish.net/news/more-than-40-nations-ask-cuba-for-interferon-alpha-b-20200327-0004.html
Drlee wrote:You are getting there on this. I think many people do not understand what "flattening the curve" means. It does not necessarily mean that fewer people will get the disease (though it should) but it means that those who contract the disease are cared for my a medical system that has the capacity and personnel to offer them the best of care. So if I get it and I need a ventilator, one is available for me. IF a great many cases come at once (as happened in Italy for example) the medical system lacks the tools and people necessary to save lives. So people die needlessly. If Italy had the same number of cases it has had so far, spread out over a year, for example, many of them would have been saved that have died so far.

I agree, flattening the curve simply means a wide based curve with low amplitude versus a high amplitude skinny peak. The area under the curve may be the quite similar, however, the health system will not get saturated.

Who knows what a year will bring? Clearly we may have a vaccine by then. We may have treatments by then. I certainly hope so. If we do not then we are going to live like we are now for a very long time.

BTW, before antibiotics were available physicians used to treat infections with high temperature. An Austrian physician won the nobel by treating syphilis with fever by giving malaria to his patients. During the Spanish flu epidemic some physicians tried temperature elevation hoping to avoid the pneumonia. They knew pneumonia was a death sentence.

BTW, confirmed COVID-19 cases reported to ICNARC (Intensivists in the UK) suggests that the mortality rate for patients that require ventilators is extremely high, at least 50%. And those that survive often become ventilator dependent.

I have a concern that I have not really heard expressed much. We are now in lock down mode. (Except for five states run by criminally stupid republican governors who refuse to do anything at all.) We may see a flattening of the curve by May-June. I hope people do not mistakenly attribute this to some seasonality like in other respiratory viruses. There may be seasonality but the verdict is out on that.

Historically the nations with warmer climates have experience less viruses.

And they will save thousands of American lives with them. How about a humble "thank you".

As I said before, in a capitalist system the manufacturing is allocated to wherever it can be manufactured for less money. That is why mostly everything is built in China. However, Chinese built stuff can be of crappy quality. They are not at the level of SK or Japan. China is what Japan was in 1960 with regards to manufacturing.
Stormsmith wrote:Thank you for your kind words.

Did you know Mrs Trudeau was diagnosed with Covid 19? If my beloved hubby had Covid and if we had 3 kids at home, i'd be passionate about containment, and he has been.

A lot of what we did is the same as what everyone else recommended, eg school closures personal spacing etc. But testing and tracing has been critical. British Columbia is like Florida with a high oldster population. Our provincial health minister recognized immediately this was a problem. Dr Bonnie Henry knew companies own a number of homes, and some of the staff would work in more than one. A sick staff worker could infect oldster in a number of homes, and these patients could infect others, including non-residents, so she focused on sorting out that mess.

What she also determined was the earlier people were put on ventilators, the greater their survival rate.

What Prime Minister Trudeau didn't do, but bloody well should, is appeal to Cuba/China for Interferon  Alpha 2b. See the foĺlowing:

http://www.telesurenglish.net/news/more-than-40-nations-ask-cuba-for-interferon-alpha-b-20200327-0004.html

Interferon plays a role in survival. Natural killer cells are activated by Interferon. Kids have more killer cells than adults that is why you do not see many children with Corona.
Julian658 wrote:Interferon plays a role in survival. Natural killer cells are activated by Interferon. Kids have more killer cells than adults that is why you do not see many children with Corona.

Yes. I read quite a lot about Interferon in 1980, the year my father died of cancer.

I saw a documentary on Castro this last week. Apparently, he was ever so keen on science/medicine, amongst other things, and read a lot on stuff with seemingly interesting characteristics, (much like Bill Gates). Then Castro set his army of doctors to working on related or promising outcomes. Cuba has introduced a number of medical miracles. Sadly President Trump has made the lives of Cubans difficult
Stormsmith wrote:Yes. I read quite a lot about Interferon in 1980, the year my father died of cancer.

I saw a documentary on Castro this last week. Apparently, he was ever so keen on science/medicine, amongst other things, and read a lot on stuff with seemingly interesting characteristics, (much like Bill Gates). Then Castro set his army of doctors to working on related or promising outcomes. Cuba has introduced a number of medical miracles. Sadly President Trump has made the lives of Cubans difficult

Cubans are incredibly resourceful. They are still practicing medicine with 1950s refurbished equipment and make it work. No different than what they do with the old American cars. In the USA Cuban migrants, in particular the first wave in the 60s have a very high standard of living.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...The French were the first "genociders&quo[…]

A gentle tongue speaks many languages.. :lol:[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]