SC hears arguments in the Trump tax cases - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
In a tough case, a judge will usually stick as close to precedent as they can.

Because the administration is really out there, that may not be possible. The Nixon case argued for a president essentially above the law, the administrations arguments in the 3 current cases go dramatically beyond what was proposed (and rejected) in the Nixon case.

I think of this as making law. If you want to describe that as a bit overdramatic, be my guest. It's how it feels to me.

You can see it in the questions. They spent a lot of time looking for places they could use to form the basis of an opinion. They usually have a pretty good idea going in, I don't think that's the case this time.

It was a long session, and above our pay grade in places. But this is undeniably historic, and I can't shake the feeling that the Right wing is looking for a way to escape the trap they are in. I admit that is definitely reading the tea leaves

Anyway...

https://www.lawfareblog.com/oral-argument-summary-supreme-court-hears-trump-financial-documents-cases
late wrote:That confirms one of my suspicions, kid.

Starting with Nixon, every president has...

I think a lot of people have provided them willingly, what I meant is that I don't think they have gotten documents unwillingly before.
Wulfschilde wrote:
I think a lot of people have provided them willingly, what I meant is that I don't think they have gotten documents unwillingly before.

The laws says Congress can get any tax return at any time for any reason.
late wrote:The laws says Congress can get any tax return at any time for any reason.

Can you provide a source for this? I don't recall hearing that before.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is easy to tell the tunnel was made of pre fab […]

Pretty clear France will be taking a leading role […]

He is even less coherent than Alex Jones. My gu[…]

Yes, and it did not order a ceasefire. Did you ev[…]