African-American Asphyxiated by Police in Minneapolis - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

You'd think these dipshits would throw a few cops in jail for the limited hangout, but now their cop shop got burned down. Serves em right. I can't imagine how many staplers Klobuchar has thrown tonight realizing her VP track is gone, gone, gone. I guess we'll have to see what happens with Trump threatening to send in the troops.
When Erdogan condemns you, you know you have problems!

NEW: Minnesota prosecutor says video showing George Floyd's death is "terrible" but says there's "other evidence that does not support a criminal charge"
- And this is why there are riots.
I'd like to see that other evidence. I recall the FBI was also requesting as many videos as it could.

But I can't see how this isn't at the very least manslaughter. Here in Illinois it would conceivably be 2nd degree murder, just like in the Laquan McDonald case (the shooter was charged with 2nd degree murder and got 6.75 years, which is kind of soft but better than nothing).
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Looks like an open and shut case, but apparently no criminal charges yet.

Thing is, proportionality seems to be a completely alien concept when it comes to the American police. If you resist or disobey orders in any way, you're fair game. Not surprisingly, the victims are often the mentally ill.

I think it's just a symptom of a society that generally holds its weakest members in contempt.
Rugoz wrote:Thing is, proportionality seems to be a completely alien concept when it comes to the American police. If you resist or disobey orders in any way, you're fair game. Not surprisingly, the victims are often the mentally ill.

I think it's just a symptom of a society that generally holds its weakest members in contempt.

I think that can conceivably be regarded as an unforeseen consequence of the 2nd Amendment.
Just saw that there was subsequently a clarification of the prosecutors statements at the press conference:

Rugoz wrote:Thing is, proportionality seems to be a completely alien concept when it comes to the American police. If you resist or disobey orders in any way, you're fair game. Not surprisingly, the victims are often the mentally ill.

The vast majority of arrests happen without anybody dying or getting hurt. And that's despite the US being a heavily armed society which presumably increases the public's tolerance for police officers using force and/or invoking the "reasonable fear" excuse.

Anyway, I can't conceive of any excuse for the cops' behaviour in this case. It seems bizarre that they haven't been arrested yet.
Red_Army wrote:I guess you're right if you accept that police killing unarmed non-violent offenders is law and order working perfectly.

The word "perfectly" is doing all the work here.

A breakdown is what we are seeing now. Law and order, which was certainly not perfect, is what was in place before that.
In Greece they would have burned down the entire city(and not just the police station responsible) and that is why no police pigs dare abuse their power anymore.

Institutional racism, a total disregard for its victims, and institutional police brutality is coming home to roost in the US. It was about time.

Trump is heading for his Nero moment.
Law and order serves a specific purpose to uphold a certain strata of society while grinding another into dust and spitting in their face at the same time. For the former group this is wonderful and for the latter it's terror. When this situation ever so slightly flips its all pearl clutching. Law and order is reaping what it sowed @Kaiserschmarrn I know we won't agree on this so goodnight.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:The word "perfectly" is doing all the work here.

A breakdown is what we are seeing now. Law and order, which was certainly not perfect, is what was in place before that.

There are two distinctions to be made here.

1. The distinction between law and order and a state of lawlessness.

and

2. The distinction between the police being in control and the police not being in control.

What was in place before the riots, was a state of lawlessness where the police can get away with murder. All that's changed now is that the real criminals have lost control of the situation. Which is an improvement.
noemon wrote:In Greece they would have burned down the entire city(and not just the police station responsible) and that is why no police pigs dare abuse their power anymore.

Institutional racism, a total disregard for its victims, and institutional police brutality is coming home to roost in the US. It was about time.

Trump is heading for his Nero moment.
I live in the Twin Cities and my life is in danger. Today someone got in my face, started ranting about slavery, and pulled out a knife. He was one of the people that jumped me recently and put scabs on my face
I get persecuted all the time for being white, but when I get killed there's going to be no protests even if I'm slowly tortured to death and it's caught on TV with a bunch of people shouting kill whitey. Here in the Twin Cities it's okay to be racist and openly brag about how you're going to kill the president. It's true, the kill count isn't too high , but living with the stupidity of political correctness is worse than being tortured to death, and all the double standards is torture.
I am guessing Kaiser is hoping to blame the protesters for supposedly the "residents fleeing", while neglecting to

1) see them(residents) as collateral just like she sees many other groups of people during revolutionary & violent events.
2) see this for what it is, a rightful response not only to police brutality but to a vehement State refusal to bring these criminal people to justice.

From what I understand, the only reason the Americans constitutionally carry weapons is so that they can bring their government to justice when & if the state fails its own constitution of ensuring the basic human rights to all its citizens. Taking this to its logical conclusion means that the rioters have a constitutional right to pursue violence(and even gun violence) to achieve their stated aims.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Which gives rise to an equally terrible far right[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]

Imagine how delighted you will be when the Circus[…]