African-American Asphyxiated by Police in Minneapolis - Page 17 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Unthinking Majority wrote:That cop should be fired immediately and charged for assaulting them. What an unprofessional a-hole.

These people IMHO set a very bad example that would make the truly evil ones like the Chinese laugh. I understand that the media in the West is far more powerful than local police, and the person in concern might be a bit desperate not to see his apparent incompetence filmed, but this kind of assault, if true, would place them in even worse situations.
@wat0n

The U.S. military doesn't have a role here. This is a domestic matter and not a civil war. The national guard should be used if law enforcement need assistance or if things start to dramatically get out control. However, the federal government should be prepared to offer financial assistance to states who are dealing with these riots as well as provide any necessary equipment to use the minimum amount of force necessary to restore order and no more than that.

Politics_Observer wrote:@wat0n

The U.S. military doesn't have a role here. This is a domestic matter and not a civil war. The national guard should be used if law enforcement need assistance or if things start to dramatically get out control. However, the federal government should be prepared to offer financial assistance to states who are dealing with these riots as well as provide any necessary equipment to use the minimum amount of force necessary to restore order and no more than that.

Lol remember when GOP state level reps in several states were talking seriously about making it legal to run down protesters with your car if they were in your way?

Now we have a precedent of the entire country rising up and attacking police stations because they're sick of the DA and the cops' thin blue line bullshit to protect sociopathic killer cops.
Last edited by SpecialOlympian on 30 May 2020 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

I was referring to the National Guard in that scenario. I don't think Minnesota's governor will want to go to Trump for help.

But either way, things can definitely escalate quickly if the State government doesn't make a show of force. It doesn't necessarily need to be using live fire, but stuff like having the cops retreat from a precinct should not happen again.
@wat0n

I am sure the cops were making a calculated move to retreat. They probably thought their presence would have made things worse which was why they retreated. You need to be careful about when it's time to show force as a governor. Having the National Guard handy and ready to go is a smart move, but at this point I would only want to see them with tear gas to disperse crowds and not be armed with any weapons.

Things haven't gotten so bad as to where you would want to impose an Iraq War style curfew on the communities. That would be overkill. Besides, these are Americans rioting, not Iraqis waging an insurgency. But having them ready for any contingency would be a good idea in case things for some reason REALLY escalate. However, at this point the only thing those guardsmen should get is tear gas for crowd control and to act as back up to law enforcement. The rest has to be resolved politically by the communities and the people who represent them.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 30 May 2020 07:39, edited 3 times in total.
Unthinking Majority wrote:So blacks are stopped more often by police, and the only possible variable is racism? What if blacks are committing more traffic violations (speeding, running stop-signs) than whites? How do we isolate the variable of "racism"?

Are you seriously going to argue in bad faith that blacks commit more traffic violations than whites? :eh:

They did a study years ago where they sent out identical resumes to tons of companies and just changed the names. The white sounding names got more callbacks than the immigrant (Arab etc) sounding names. That's how you isolate for the "racism" variable. I'm not saying there isn't racial bias in policing, i've seen blacks pulled over for no reason on Youtube, i'm saying we need to quantify it somehow.

This is pretty much bullshit. I already demonstrated the fact of "driving while black" as a real phenomenon but you seem intent on defending this racist dynamic.

The study you linked also shows South Asians and Asians are stopped for traffic violations far more often than any other group. Racism? Likely not, since car insurance statistics shows that South Asian and Asian neighbourhoods typically have the highest accident rates, aka they're not good drivers, ie: Brampton, Canada:
https://jamescampbellinsurance.com/onta ... -inurance/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brampton#Demographics

From The Guardian article:

According to the new data, black people are much more likely to have firearms pointed at them by police officers. They also are more likely to be detained, handcuffed and searched. At the same time, when the police search black, Latino and Native American people, they are less likely to find drugs, weapons or other contraband compared to when they search white people.

That's quite a disgusting accusation to make towards me. And I never said the onus is only on the black community, I said both racism and personal actions perpetuate black poverty, and both need to be addressed.

But you keep trying to equate them. You refuse to acknowledge that racism must be vanquished and fully deconstructed before we can even remotely talk about "both sides", a line of reasoning that is incredibly Trump-esque.

I never said that. You have to address both. Read what I wrote.

Stop fucking equivocating.

There are black activists that talk about personal responsibility, but the VAST majority of activism is towards fixing the structural racism. As I said, yes you need to fix the racism, but there's no groups even close to the scale of Black Lives Matter preaching personal responsibility. Black Twitter doesn't blow up when a black dude kills another black dude. I'm not saying the activism needs to be equal, you just rarely hear what I'm talking about, so much so that I'm accused of being racist for even saying it.

Like I said, you don't know anything about black organizing and black activism. More pointedly, you don't know anything about black political consciousness. So far in this thread you have consistently infantilized black people as having a perpetual behavioral deficit in comparison to everyone else. Every fucking excuse you produce for white exceptionalism is woven into a bullshit narrative about black criminality. You're accused of being a racist because you are a racist. There is no other way to describe the racial double standards you possess.

I am sure the cops were making a calculated move to retreat. They probably thought their presence would have made things worse which was why they retreated. You need to be careful about when it's time to show force as a governor. Having the National Guard handy and ready to go is a smart move, but at this point I would only want to see them with tear gas to disperse crowds and not be armed with any weapons.

Things haven't gotten so bad as to where you would want to impose an Iraq War style curfew on the communities. That would be overkill. Besides, these are Americans rioting, not Iraqis waging an insurgency. But having them ready for any contingency would be a good idea in case things for some reason REALLY escalate. However, at this point the only thing those guardsmen should get is tear gas for crowd control and to act as back up to law enforcement. The rest has to be resolved politically by the communities and the people who represent them.

No disagreement with that, but things can escalate quickly. As such, they should be ready.

Since I don't think the military is well prepared for riot control, my guess is that the first step (already taken) is to have them take control over the critical infrastructure and other key buildings (which I guess implies controlling the downtown area). The cops should have the first responsibility as far as crowd control goes. PS: By "well prepared" I don't mean that they lack the equipment, but that their training in riot control tactics shouldn't be as good as that for the police - at least as far as using non-lethal force goes - and that they aren't supposed to be doing that, and shouldn't ideally do it. Ideally, they would operate jointly with the police and the latter would be carrying the actual arrests out while the soldiers would act as backup.

There are actually some military manuals for these situations, so they should generally know what to do. But there also needs to be a willingness to use more force if the violence escalates, and deal with whatever political fallout that may come later.

Either way, this is a harsher policy than the one you mentioned earlier.
Last edited by wat0n on 30 May 2020 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
wat0n wrote:No disagreement with that, but things can escalate quickly. As such, they should be ready.

Since I don't think the military is well prepared for riot control, my guess is that the first step (already taken) is to have them take control over the critical infrastructure and other key buildings (which I guess implies controlling the downtown area). The cops should have the first responsibility as far as crowd control goes.

There are actually some military manuals for these situations, so they should generally know what to do. But there also needs to be a willingness to use more force if the violence escalates, and deal with whatever political fallout that may come later.

Either way, this is a harsher policy than the one you mentioned earlier.

Spoken like a true liberal.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Why would you assume ulterior motives? I thought I was agreeing with Red_Army when I replied that he is right that this is a bit more than a riot because of the reports that police and firefighters were told to stand down. How is calling that a breakdown of law and order even controversial?

Because of the tweet you posted trying to change the narrative.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=178572&start=160#p15095087

@late So then...do you agree that it's fully a m[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous&q[…]

The dominant race of the planet is still the Whit[…]