African-American Asphyxiated by Police in Minneapolis - Page 40 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Godstud wrote:The riots are clearly demonstrating, as @Wellsy showed, numerous times, that the US Justice system and its enforcers, is broken.

That is because the leaders of the cities are Democrats and most of the demonstrators, rioters, and looters are Democrats and left-wing radicals.
Last edited by Hindsite on 01 Jun 2020 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
Julian658 wrote:There was a time when Chinese people were not well liked in America. Over many decades many Asians have developed a reputation for high academic achievement, been respectful, great work ethic, and extremely low crime rate. In many circles that is seen as a positive stereotype. Therefore racism towards Asians is not as big a problem as racism towards blacks.

Does that help!

Yes. Thanks for explaining.
Unthinking Majority wrote:It could be fake, I really don't know. Do you support what that tweet was saying?

If you have an example of rioters attacking private residences, I will wholly disavow that. But you're asking me to disavow a tweet that was very likely written by a white supremacist. Fake Antifa Facebook pages and Twitter accounts are pretty common.
SpecialOlympian wrote:I will always support antifa against your basic bitch fasch ass. Eat shit, Unthinking Majoriy.

You suck and nobody likes you. Eat shit.

That's too bad, since I still love you SpecialOlympian. I will invite you over to my house for dinner, and we will eat shit together. I will serve some mints afterwards to make our breathe fresh before you leave.

Stay safe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/the-psychology-of-riots-and-why-its-never-just-mindless-violence-125676
Contrary to expectations, there are actually important boundaries and limits during riots relating to 1) what goes on (and what doesn’t) and 2) what (and who) becomes influential. Research and modern crowd theory suggest that these behavioural limits of crowd action relate in important ways to the limits of social identification.

Consider Steve Reicher’s analysis of the 1980 St Paul’s “riot”, in Bristol, England. Reicher demonstrated that the crowd’s actions were governed by the individuals’ shared sense of social identity as members of the St Paul’s community. This identity was partly defined by a united opposition to police “aggressors” who symbolically were seen to be attacking the community by raiding the Black and White cafe, an important local hub.

Reicher also showed how this collective identity placed important constraints on what happened during the “riot” – and where. First, there were clear limits on who and what constituted a legitimate target, with only those viewed as being in opposition to the St Paul’s identity – largely, the police – being attacked. Second, there were defined geographical limits – the police were only attacked while they were within the boundaries of St Paul’s and were left alone once they had left.

The St Paul’s study demonstrates that people in riots act according to their assumed social identities and do not behave mindlessly, as if subject to an irrational “group mind”. For example, crowd members described throwing stones at police officers as normative and widespread – “a few bricks went in and then people closed the road and everybody started doing it”. Attacks against other targets, however, were isolated and widely denounced – “a bus … got one window smashed … Everyone went ‘Ugh’, ‘idiots’.”

An interesting point that riots aren’t reducible to aimless violence despite usual depictions.
Wellsy wrote:Image

My friend, I don't think anyone would argue that violence can't get things done.

But Martin Luther King Jr. began the marches from Selma to Montgomery on March 7th, 1965 and they ended at the Alabama State Capitol building in Montgomery on March 25. On March 15th President LBJ in a joint session of Congress asked for a voting rights bill to be passed. The Voting Rights Act was introduced by the Senate on March 17th and came into force not too long after. Note that.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Choose wisely.
Saeko wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZS0H-636g

This man was clearly murdered on camera.

I would say it is clearly Police abuse of force, but I believe it needs more investigating, including an autopsy report to make sure of the cause of death.
Donna wrote:If you have an example of rioters attacking private residences, I will wholly disavow that. But you're asking me to disavow a tweet that was very likely written by a white supremacist. Fake Antifa Facebook pages and Twitter accounts are pretty common.

I'm glad you disavow that. We're on the same page on that then.

Yes there's lots of fake everything on twitter. It's information warfare.
To @Donna @noemon @Pants-of-dog @Saeko @SpecialOlympian and everyone else:

I want to apologize for some of the controversial points I brought up earlier in this thread that got you guys and others riled up. While I still stand by the points that I made, given what's happening out there on the streets, this wasn't the proper time or thread to bring up those points. This is a time for unity, not division. We need to all concentrate all of our focus on getting justice for George Floyd and everyone else affected by police abuse, and we can only do that together.

We may disagree on the best methods to do that, whether peaceful protest vs riots etc, but it seems that virtually everyone in this thread regardless of ideology agrees that what happened to George Floyd was wrong, and that should give us hope.

Again I'm sincerely sorry. Even if some of you still think i'm "a racist" or whatever, even though i'm not, that's ok, I won't resent you for that. See my signature. We are, at the end of the day, all human beings, and we all want the best for humanity. Which is why I love you all, as my brothers and sisters (brothers and sisters still fight, remember LOL).

Stay safe my friends,
- Unthinking Majority
Unthinking Majority wrote:To @Donna @noemon @Pants-of-dog @Saeko @SpecialOlympian and everyone else:

I want to apologize for some of the controversial points I brought up earlier in this thread that got you guys and others riled up. While I still stand by the points that I made, given what's happening out there on the streets, this wasn't the proper time or thread to bring up those points. This is a time for unity, not division. We need to all concentrate all of our focus on getting justice for George Floyd and everyone else affected by police abuse, and we can only do that together.

We may disagree on the best methods to do that, whether peaceful protest vs riots etc, but it seems that virtually everyone in this thread regardless of ideology agrees that what happened to George Floyd was wrong, and that should give us hope.

Again I'm sincerely sorry. Even if some of you still think i'm "a racist" or whatever, even though i'm not, that's ok, I won't resent you for that. See my signature. We are, at the end of the day, all human beings, and we all want the best for humanity. Which is why I love you all, as my brothers and sisters (brothers and sisters still fight, remember LOL).

Stay safe my friends,
- Unthinking Majority

The only way you are going to get unity is to agree with all the left-wing radicals because they are not going to change.
Hindsite wrote:I would say it is clearly Police abuse of force, but I believe it needs more investigating, including an autopsy report to make sure of the cause of death.
:eh: The police officer knelt on George Floyd's neck, for 9 minutes. He couldn't breath and said as much. The officer stayed with his knee on his neck, until George Floyd was dead. You don't need an autopsy to determine his method of death. It's as plain as day.

If the police officer had shot him 6 times, you wouldn't need to have an autopsy to determine why he died.

It was not abuse of force. It was murder.

Hindsite wrote:The only way you are going to get unity is to agree with all the left-wing radicals because they are not going to change.
Fuck off, Racist. You don't speak for anyone but yourself.

Edit:grammar/spelling
Last edited by Godstud on 01 Jun 2020 04:31, edited 2 times in total.
Beren wrote:Modernity is history, and Marxism faded away with it, however, I wonder if for how long postmodern fakery can last.

Yes, that's another way to see it. But I also think it's only true to an extent: I think even many identity-obsessed snowflakes would reject postmodernism, at least in principle, if exposed to the most absurd facets of it. Their feelings may be one thing but thinking that objective reality doesn't exist at all, that we can say stuff like climate science, evolution or even gravity are just social constructions is too much, even for them.

The thing is, they do conveniently buy the idea that everything is about narrative since it's a great excuse to disregard rationality when it disagrees with their own feelings, not out of a reasoned idea (unlike, say, postmodern academics in the ivory tower) but simply the convenience you get from being convinced you always have the moral high ground.

The right-snowflakes also do this, although they don't necessarily claim the moral high ground: For them, it's just about their short term material convenience and pride ("make America great again") or something like that. And because of that, they will actually tend to get less into everyone else's business since they are not crusaders (and they learnt from Charlottesville), but they have other annoying, discriminatory behaviors in return.

Anyway, what will happen with these snowflakes? Trump is already talking about declaring Antifa as a terrorist organization and while so far they've been annoying, they've shown they can disrupt daily life on a massive scale, and that they don't care whether bystanders are damaged by it.

The only thing one can expect is that those bystanders who have been negatively affected by their actions, along with those bystanders who don't even disagree with many of their ideas (like, say, that police brutality needs to be stopped and prosecuted) but who will still be cancelled for not wholly agreeing with all of them will rally with whoever promises a harsh response, and we know who that guy is. And that almost surely means democracy loses, and that many of the ideas that the progressive snowflakes get right on issues like climate change or police brutality won't be implemented.

Pants-of-Dog wrote:The rioting is irrelevant.

According to whom? Yourself?

Maybe, it's your right, but people who have been affected directly or indirectly by it definitely care. They also have the right to consider your preferences to be irrelevant, particularly when it comes to vote.

This stuff can go both ways.

Pants-of-dog wrote:I am wondering how this relates to your argument.

I was just pointing out the role of juries, PoD. In particular that it's not about grand juries specifically but about juries in general.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Not all of these people were armed.

No one said this was the case.

Pants-of-dog wrote: And many were killed when they supposedly tried to take a cops gun while surrounded by cops and hidden from view from view from anyone who could corroborate or contradict the police story.

"Many" here would be two, and the part about being surrounded by cops who were blocking everyone else's view is not in the article and therefore unsupported - even if not necessarily false.

Pants-of-dog wrote:In the entire history of Minneapolis, how many unarmed black people have been killed by cops?

No idea, but at least since 2013 - sorry, I don't have any data going back to when Minneapolis was incorporated - the figure would be one.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Do you have any evidence whatsoever of any white cops in Minneapolis ever being charged with a crime for killing a black person?

No, but if those killings have happened infrequently then maybe that's why there have been no charges. Maybe one could look at a larger city, which would likely have more available data, and see how the probability of indictment changes over time?

Pants-of-dog wrote:Then you cannot possibly claim that most cops get off because of juries.

Your argument is now dismissed.

I can however say that it's happening with enough frequency as to lead to a protest movement to change this. And indeed, it seems that it's traditionally been a rare occurrence that grand juries decide to indict in police-related cases (partly because of some arguments you mention - namely, the influence of DAs).

Pants-of-Dog wrote:Maybe. Do you have evidence?

Do you want me to look for research or just specific examples of the matter?

Pants-of-dog wrote:The way the cops are behaving right now, and the violence they are visiting upon everyone, the most peaceful solution seems to get rid of the entire police system altogether.

And replace it with what? Do you have any models American cities should follow?

To me, it seems that the actual peaceful solution is to change how juries work, which has already begun since the change is ultimately cultural and ideological, and bust police unions.

Pants-of-dog wrote:These weird ideas about Marxism are not relevant here.

I'm simply pointing out how odd your "Marxism" is and what it says about the contemporary Left. I'm willing to hazard the guess that you were among those who held that basic (not even Orthodox, just basic) Marxist position during the Cold War, particularly while living in Chile.

@Saeko: Lightfoot was pretty tough last night and today. Why do I suspect you live in the north side, where there's quite obviously a larger police presence?
Godstud wrote::eh: The police officer kneeled on George Floyd's neck, for 9 muntes. He couldn't breath and said as much. The officer stayed with his knee on his neck, until George Floyd was dead. You don't need an autopsy to determine his method of death. It's as plain as day.

If the police officer had shot him 6 times, you wouldn't need to have an autopsy to determine why he died.

It was not abuse of force. It was murder.

Fuck off, Racist. You don't speak for anyone but yourself.

Now you are showing your left-wing radical hatred again.
That will not help with unity.

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O