African-American Asphyxiated by Police in Minneapolis - Page 59 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15096952
Hindsite wrote:The states apparatus is on the side of law and order. I am also on the side of law and order, so the states apparatus is on my side.
Praise the Lord.


Good for you Hindsite *pats Hindsite on the shoulder* Good for you.
#15096953
Hindsite wrote:Unjust killing of white people by police have happened too. But white people don't go crazy about it by protesting, rioting, and looting.


But some of them are going crazy about unjustified police killings now. By the way, there are many African Americans who aren't doing any of that, and who have had their businesses looted - even by other AAs, as I've been able to see living in one of them (I'm not Black by the way). So let's drop the racial blame game here since it's unproductive and in any event very misleading.
#15096959
wat0n wrote:But some of them are going crazy about unjustified police killings now. By the way, there are many African Americans who aren't doing any of that, and who have had their businesses looted - even by other AAs, as I've been able to see living in one of them (I'm not Black by the way). So let's drop the racial blame game here since it's unproductive and in any event very misleading.

The Antifa group doesn't really care about the unjust police killing of George Floyd. The other white people may be concerned about unjust police killings, but I think they are there protesting to prove to their dark skin acquaintances that they are not racist. I am not racist and have decided to prove that by calling people dark skin instead of Black. However, if you think that is not helping, how would you suggest that I address this issue and still tell the truth about it?
#15096961
Donna wrote:The looting has pretty much subsided at this point. It's just demonstrations and mass arrests now.


Nah, there was some looting in NYC I think. Also we really need to see what happens tonight since that's when it really begins.

Hindsite wrote:The Antifa group doesn't really care about the unjust police killing of George Floyd. The other white people may be concerned about unjust police killings, but I think they are there protesting to prove to their dark skin acquaintances that they are not racist. I am not racist and have decided to prove that by calling people dark skin instead of Black. However, if you think that is not helping, how would you suggest that I address this issue and still tell the truth about it?


What issue exactly? Violence? Since it's coming from both Blacks and Whites, you could try being objective and say so.
#15096980
wat0n wrote:What issue exactly? Violence? Since it's coming from both Blacks and Whites, you could try being objective and say so.

I was wondering what you thought is the best way for me to address skin color without being called a racist. I moved from Black to dark skin or should I move to people of color? I notice you say "Blacks and Whites" and don't consider yourself a racist. I am trying to be objective and truthful about this, but I watch FOX News most of the time because I believe they are more objective and truthful than CNN and MSNBC. What I see is mainly rioting and looting by the people of color, or you can call them dark skin people or Blacks if you prefer.
#15096981
Hindsite wrote:I was wondering what you thought is the best way for me to address skin color without being called a racist. I moved from Black to dark skin or should I move to people of color? I notice you say "Blacks and Whites" and don't consider yourself a racist. I am trying to be objective and truthful about this, but I watch FOX News most of the time because I believe they are more objective and truthful than CNN and MSNBC. What I see is mainly rioting and looting by the people of color, or you can call them dark skin people or Blacks if you prefer.


I can give you examples of White rioters if you haven't watched the news.
#15096982
It turns out that Hindsites boogeyman, Antifa, is actually a bunch of white supremacists pretending to be ANTIFA.

Don't worry though. Trump supporters are not smart enough to consider the evidence (which comes from Trump's justice department.)

@Verv I'll tell you what is happening to you Verve. You used to be a really moderate person. Then, for some reason, you made a hard right turn and starting arguing against your own previously held positions. I have been through this. I am a lifelong conservative as you know. You find yourself looking for some way into this situation that leaves your right(ish) positions intact. You have some considerable personal angst invested in them because they represent a change in you that you already had to work through.

Tell you what. There is no space for you in the right today. There is no "in". There is no way to parse the completely understandable rage in the black community in a way that fits your adopted worldview. You know they are right. And if it takes some disobedience, even rioting, to get this problem fixed then it may well be worth the price.

Remember the original Tea Party? Threw what would today be millions of dollars worth of tea into the bay. Was that a riot? Was that looting? Of course it was. And it was a seminal moment in US history.

Then Verve, you are seeing a president who is truly unhinged. Using the military to attack US citizens in the nation's very capital so that he can take a picture of himself holding a bible? You know there is nowhere for you to go with this. And then he is accompanied by the Chief of Staff and Secretary of Defense. And what did the SecDef say today about why he accompanied Trump on this childish escapade? He said he did not know where they were going or what they were going to do. Really? He and the Chief of Staff if the Army, during riots in the capital, decided to go for a walk with the president and they "did not know where they were going"? Verve, you are just too smart to buy this shit and more importantly to allow yourself to be influenced by the yahoos. I've known you here for, what...15 years or so. I get you were playing in the fields of your mind but you just can't reconcile your own personal integrity with this batch of rogues. And more importantly they are shining a light on the wreckage that has become conservatism.

Get to know Goldwater and Buckley. They will reset your conservative clock.
#15096985
Drlee wrote:It turns out that Hindsites boogeyman, Antifa, is actually a bunch of white supremacists pretending to be ANTIFA.

Don't worry though. Trump supporters are not smart enough to consider the evidence (which comes from Trump's justice department.)

@Verv I'll tell you what is happening to you Verve. You used to be a really moderate person. Then, for some reason, you made a hard right turn and starting arguing against your own previously held positions. I have been through this. I am a lifelong conservative as you know. You find yourself looking for some way into this situation that leaves your right(ish) positions intact. You have some considerable personal angst invested in them because they represent a change in you that you already had to work through.

Tell you what. There is no space for you in the right today. There is no "in". There is no way to parse the completely understandable rage in the black community in a way that fits your adopted worldview. You know they are right. And if it takes some disobedience, even rioting, to get this problem fixed then it may well be worth the price.

Remember the original Tea Party? Threw what would today be millions of dollars worth of tea into the bay. Was that a riot? Was that looting? Of course it was. And it was a seminal moment in US history.

Then Verve, you are seeing a president who is truly unhinged. Using the military to attack US citizens in the nation's very capital so that he can take a picture of himself holding a bible? You know there is nowhere for you to go with this. And then he is accompanied by the Chief of Staff and Secretary of Defense. And what did the SecDef say today about why he accompanied Trump on this childish escapade? He said he did not know where they were going or what they were going to do. Really? He and the Chief of Staff if the Army, during riots in the capital, decided to go for a walk with the president and they "did not know where they were going"? Verve, you are just too smart to buy this shit and more importantly to allow yourself to be influenced by the yahoos. I've known you here for, what...15 years or so. I get you were playing in the fields of your mind but you just can't reconcile your own personal integrity with this batch of rogues. And more importantly they are shining a light on the wreckage that has become conservatism.

Get to know Goldwater and Buckley. They will reset your conservative clock.


That was a very sweet post -- I am flattered by the kind words that you have shared and I have to take your words seriously on this.

I just wrote like 500 words on this but it was too long and I felt it was not succinct or going anywhere, and I guess I have found that the topic is just too big. Really, a lot has happened over the 15 years since I began posting here...

Literally, since starting posting here, my best friend died of cancer, a middle aged and an elderly family member died, my brother got married & divorced, I've gotten engaged, I've played in three different bands, I got two University degrees, left the military, etc. I've literally read hundreds of books and listened to thousands of hours of lectures since then...

I feel like you guys changed, too. I also oddly sometimes feel like I haven't changed, but I objectively know this is also false.

Maybe the best thing to know about this is... I am not as inflexible or serious as anyone thinks, and maybe you should also know that I am inclined to take unpopular positions & emphasize those positions which I have that are unpopular because I think it is more important to push in the direction that nobody pushes in, because even if I am wrong, it is of no benefit to the person I am talking to if I simply agree with them.

There needs to be an alternative voice for there to even be a conversation.
#15096989
Why do people think looting is an act of protest rather than oppourtunist criminality? Plenty of cars get stolen during mass protests not because grand theft auto is an act of protest but because the criminals recognise that the police have their hands full and they can more easily get away with their pillaging.
#15096990
Verv wrote:That was a very sweet post -- I am flattered by the kind words that you have shared and I have to take your words seriously on this.


Let me add something to the flattery that's totally unrelated.

Verv, you are responsible for the greatest post to ever grace these forums. In fact, probably the best post i've ever read on any message board, and one of the most brilliant things i've ever read in my life. You posted this 10 years ago, but I've never forgotten it, and from time to time I go back and re-read it, to remind myself: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117126

To bring that post back into this thread, right now we need to hold the microphone for African-Americans, so that they can sing the line.
#15096994
wat0n wrote:I can give you examples of White rioters if you haven't watched the news.

I have been watching the News. I know there are also some White rioters. However, the looting I saw on the news in broad daylight were definitely all people of color, dark skin, or Blacks. Looting is a crime in case you don't know.
#15096996
@Unthinking Majority The sad part is that the black people have been singing, but society turned off the mic. :(

@Hindsite Looting is a crime. You don't have to add your idiotic racist input into that.

No one is saying that looting is not a crime. You are arguing against the colour of the people doing it, not the act itself. :knife:
#15096997
Hindsite wrote:I have been watching the News. I know there are also some White rioters. However, the looting I saw on the news in broad daylight were definitely all people of color, dark skin, or Blacks. Looting is a crime in case you don't know.




So is police officers rushing the BBC cameraman and hitting him in the gut.

Spoiler: show
You racist anti-christian prick. Stop talking and obsessing about their damn skin-colour. Obsessed asshole. If the Republicans lose in November it's because of racist grifter neo-con pigs like you. I hope you get banned. Please forgive the rule 2 violation guys. I'm sick of him.
#15097005
Unthinking Majority wrote:Let me add something to the flattery that's totally unrelated.

Verv, you are responsible for the greatest post to ever grace these forums. In fact, probably the best post i've ever read on any message board, and one of the most brilliant things i've ever read in my life. You posted this 10 years ago, but I've never forgotten it, and from time to time I go back and re-read it, to remind myself: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=117126

To bring that post back into this thread, right now we need to hold the microphone for African-Americans, so that they can sing the line.


Wow, this was really amazing & intense for me to see again.. I had to get up and leave the office and walk around the building because of all of these memories flooding back & hitting me. I can't write like that anymore... and it's not because I have "degraded" in any measurable way, but because that was just a mindset that was very unique to the spirit of that time.

It's been like 30 minutes since I've read this post and I think my heart rate is still elevated.

If there was anything I needed to really see again from my past, this was it... Thanks, man. I'm really glad you enjoyed that piece & I am thankful for you bringing it back up, and I hope I can get some piece of that back into my life.
  • 1
  • 57
  • 58
  • 59
  • 60
  • 61
  • 159

States across Europe in the 18th century provid[…]

@wat0n Yes, the city’s dynamics differ radica[…]

His brother died of alcoholism. Alcoholics are of[…]

Also, here's a planning framework, based on the sc[…]