China's Parliament to Discuss Draft Hong Kong National Security Law - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/JoshuaYJackson/status/1267739142361939968

They did that in 1989 already.....

Are you suggesting China is finally learning from it's "mistakes"

Also Hong Kong is not Beijing. Hostile forces everywhere in HK. They're actually allowed to know about Tiananmen Square and Tank Man in Hong Kong. In Hong Kong you are allowed to know about such things.

Baby steps huh Skinster?

Should the US learn from China and immediately start pretending enmasse this didn't happen, in order to "learn from our mistakes"?

In 20 years time the images from this riot will still be talked about freely in the USA, meanwhile in mainland China the "2019 Hong Kong Incident" will have joined the "1989 Tiananmen incident" in being mass brain-wiped.

They'll make it illegal to remember.
skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/JoshuaYJackson/status/1267739142361939968

What? They literally did all that on top of rotating regular Chinese military and police in to Hong Kong from other parts of the country so they won't hesitate supressing, beating and killing the protesters.
skinster wrote:Cool. Those protesters love their previous colonizers and occupiers so they can move if they don't like living in China.

China will go out and penetrate other countries so it is not that safe either. Besides it is simply wrong to go to other places and harass people living there for generations in the first place. If Israel is wrong to do it to Palestinians, and Chinese are wrong to do that to Hongkongers, why are Hongkongers allowed to pester the good folks living in Britain?

That actually applies to this person who's uttering the above quote too, if some people's description about his original ethnicity is true.

I want to make the place I live better suit my ideals, not run away.

EDIT: If both governments agree to expel their "rebels" elsewhere then it's another thing. But if I am to be deported to Britain, I strongly ask for deportation of the above China-fan to China as an exchange, because he doesn't deserve living in Britain.

----------

Some update.

US Senate backs bill to sanction China for 'snuffing out freedoms' in HK

According to a Chinese language report from RFI, Van Hollen criticised Trump for being too "reserved" in pursuing China, hinting that the Democrats will be doing a better job in stopping China. I am not sure whether this is true, because all these did not happen before Trump comes to power (and Xi Jinping rose several years before Trump).

EDIT: Trump is of course unreliable, but I find Democrats actually quite consistent on appeasing China whenever they are in power. Carter, Clinton and Obama era all saw good Chinese-American relations. This is why I have reservations on the scenario of Biden being elected.
Patrickov wrote:Besides it is simply wrong to go to other places and harass people living there for generations in the first place. If Israel is wrong to do it to Palestinians, and Chinese are wrong to do that to Hongkongers, why are Hongkongers allowed to pester the good folks living in Britain?

The U.K. government offered HK people citizenship. It has offered people in areas it's colonized citizenship before and I guess it's doing more of that. But it's all very silly really, since in this case it's being done as an attack on the Chinese government. The British government doesn't actually care about the people of Hong Kong, and we know that because we know how it treated the people of Hong Kong when it was occupying HK.

And it's silly to compare the situation of Palestinians with those in Hong Kong, since the former are occupied and blockaded and the latter are not (anymore).
skinster wrote:The U.K. government offered HK people citizenship. It has offered people in areas it's colonized citizenship before and I guess it's doing more of that. But it's all very silly really, since in this case it's being done as an attack on the Chinese government. The British government doesn't actually care about the people of Hong Kong, and we know that because we know how it treated the people of Hong Kong when it was occupying HK.

And it's silly to compare the situation of Palestinians with those in Hong Kong, since the former are occupied and blockaded and the latter are not (anymore).

It is indeed very stupid to assume we actually "believe" whoever offering help.

The case is simply that, China is much, much worse, because they cannot even take care of their own ass. Just watch the super rain disaster currently happening in China.

And China very much wants to blockade us to death, just that they must have somewhere to trade (foreigners simply do not feel safe to trade in China itself). However, they are losing their patience and their true colours are about to be seen.

Patrickov wrote:It is indeed very stupid to assume we actually "believe" whoever offering help.

Well that's good, considering what the Brits did to the people they occupied in HK.

The case is simply that, China is much, much worse, because they cannot even take care of their own ass.

What do you mean?

And China very much wants to blockade us to death...

Citation needed.
skinster wrote:Well that's good, considering what the Brits did to the people they occupied in HK.

I was born more than a decade before handover. The British treated us quite fairly.

And considering such false accusation is from someone who himself resides in Great Britain. If he dislikes UK so much why doesn't he move back to Pakistan, which, AFAIK, are best friends of China and must be prospering? I really cannot find anyone more hypocritical.

skinster wrote:What do you mean? Citation needed.

The National Security Law says it all. They value their fucking asses' "security" over anything.
Patrickov wrote:I was born more than a decade before handover. The British treated us quite fairly.

With rubber bullets and killing 50+ demonstrators against their rule in 1967?

And considering such false accusation is from someone who himself resides in Great Britain.

What did I state that is false?

If he dislikes UK so much why doesn't he move back to Pakistan, which, AFAIK, are best friends of China and must be prospering?

1. I am a 'she'.

2. I don't hate the UK, but I'm no fan of the government here.

3. Lol at this type of argument.

I really cannot find anyone more hypocritical.

I don't care what your opinion of me is. This isn't a popularity contest. :D

The National Security Law says it all. They value their fucking asses' "security" over anything.

You mentioned China blockading HK. I see no citation for that or read anything about the people of HK being denied the ability to trade or their freedom of movement denied. Let me know if you have any evidence for your claim.
skinster wrote:With rubber bullets and killing 50+ demonstrators against their rule in 1967?

The consensus among Hongkongers are that the 1967 riot was an illegal and violent attempt of the Communists to usurp power. They succeeded in Macau and the Portuguese had become lame duck for some 30 years. Had they succeeded in Hong Kong our suffering would have happened 30 years early (if handover in 1997 counts as suffering).

This is why I regard the accusation against the British false. And besides the British behave much fucking more reasonable otherwise. Even Sun Yat-sen was in favour of the British when he visited Hong Kong:

Sun Yat-sen wrote:When I arrived home (Note: in China) I had to be my own policeman and my own protector. The first matter for my care was to see my rifle was in order and to make sure plenty of ammunition was still left. I had to prepare for action for the night. Each time it was like this, year after year. I compared Heungshan with Hong Kong and, although they are only 50 miles apart, the difference of the Governments impressed me very much. Afterwards, I saw the outside world and I began to wonder how, it was that foreigners, that Englishmen could do such things as they had done, for example, with the barren rock of Hong Kong, within 70 or 80 years, while China, in 4,000 years, had no places like Hong Kong."

Citation

Unfortunately Sun's words are still true to this very day.

----------

About the blockade: It had happen before historically -- even from the narrative of the current government.

What I said is that China has all the condition and intention to do so. If Hong Kong chooses to move away (which, although I am not very in, can't deny that many if not most do think so) it will happen again.

The citation
Patrickov wrote:The consensus among Hongkongers are that the 1967 riot was an illegal and violent attempt of the Communists to usurp power.

:eh:
No it's not, for reasons such as the people protesting British occupation were Hongkongers in Hong Kong who were living under the aforementioned occupation (and because of how people under occupation have this tendency to resist such brutality)

The Brits were so lovely then that they killed protesters who defied their rule. Compare that to the response of the Chinese government during the recent HK protests (something you're painting as the ultimate evil, while dismissing greater colonial crimes). And when considering the Chinese response (or lack thereof), this includes the established fact that HK protesters were working with U.S. government agencies. and ahem, how HK is China.

This is why I regard the accusation against the British false. And besides the British behave much fucking more reasonable otherwise.

In my last post I showed you how the British occupation dealt with protesters (by killing them) which is not "more reasonable" than how China responded to HK protesters over the last year. You should look into how the British dealt with your parents, grandparents and great grandparents' generation, where there was no equality and few rights.

About the blockade: It had happen before historically -- even from the narrative of the current government.

What I said is that China has all the condition and intention to do so. If Hong Kong chooses to move away (which, although I am not very in, can't deny that many if not most do think so) it will happen again.

So there's no blockade in Hong Kong by China as you absurdly, originally claimed. Thanks for clearing that up.

Another reminder that making stuff up isn't a good look. :)
skinster wrote:In my last post I showed you how the British occupation dealt with protesters (by killing them) which is not "more reasonable" than how China responded to HK protesters over the last year. You should look into how the British dealt with your parents, grandparents and great grandparents' generation, where there was no equality and few rights.

Most of my parents and grand-parents' generation live under British rule with content and some of them actually hold stronger views than I do.

skinster wrote:So there's no blockade in Hong Kong by China as you absurdly, originally claimed. Thanks for clearing that up.

Another reminder that making stuff up isn't a good look. :)

I was very consistent that it's my predictions. Putting words in my mouth is not a good idea.
JohnRawls wrote:The people will resist.

One problem: Mainlanders who actually view nation above respecting others' (and their own) rights still number far too many. In some sense Hongkongers are replaceable.

In a mathematical sense, China has enough minions to enter every Hong Kong household and round all of us up (obedient or not), then allocating other more well-off Mainlanders to come.

Of course the above is an exaggeration, but I believe China has a population replacement scheme in mind. The real test would be whether those "new" people would become rejecting their masters in due time (based on allegations that many protesters were born or immigrants after 1997)
Patrickov wrote:Most of my parents and grand-parents' generation live under British rule with content and some of them actually hold stronger views than I do.

Anecdotal evidence, even as absurd as the above, is not evidence. I am sure that there's a long history of people being happy with their land being colonized, even though you know that thing about how basically every time it's happened, people have resisted.

I was very consistent that it's my predictions. Putting words in my mouth is not a good idea.

Your predictions are nothing but fantasy. There is no blockade on Hong Kong. It is free to trade with whoever and the inhabitants are free to move around wherever they want, including getting citizenship in Britain if they so wish.

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So have people given up on blaming that terrorist […]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]