Protesting George Floyd's Killing Is More Important Than Safety During The Coronavirus Pandemic - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.

Protests Will Likely Spread The Coronavirus. These Doctors And Nurses Are Protesting Anyway.

“I’m an African American first before I’m a physician,” one doctor said.

Anna Maria Ruiz is all too aware of the human toll of the coronavirus pandemic sweeping the globe. As a critical care nurse who has treated patients in their darkest hours, she fears the possibility of being outnumbered by severe cases, running out of personal protective equipment, and getting sick herself.

But Ruiz, who is Afro-Latina, lives in fear of something else, too: racism, discrimination, and violence against black Americans.
The police killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, both unarmed black people, have ignited protests across the nation that are exploding in size and number by the day. Weeks of social distancing had finally led to a decline in cases for Ruiz to treat at her hospital in central Texas, but when a demonstration sprung up in downtown Austin last weekend, she felt compelled to be there — despite what she knew was the very real threat of the coronavirus spreading further as a result.

“I just feel like it’s too important to not show up for,” the 27-year-old told BuzzFeed News. “I feel like it’s about me fighting for my rights, my partner’s rights, my father’s rights, my brother’s rights, my friends’ rights. It’s everybody’s fight to me.”

Doctors, nurses, residents, medical students, and others in the medical field are just some of the thousands of protesters flooding town squares and downtowns. To some, their participation may seem controversial or hypocritical. In interviews with BuzzFeed News, a half-dozen health care providers who attended recent events all said they were deeply concerned about the pandemic, which has killed more than 100,000 Americans.

And they, like other health experts, believe that the crowds will likely spread the virus, especially when police use tear gas and conduct mass arrests. A surge in coronavirus cases will likely be hitting their hospitals in the coming weeks.

But while the decision to attend was tough for some, they all said they were deeply distraught by the racial inequality that runs through seemingly every facet of American life — from the economy to education to the pandemic itself, where black people are dying at higher rates. They said they see themselves as advocates for patients, not just inside the hospital but outside of it as well. Police brutality and systemic inequality are so oppressive, they said, as to leave them no choice but to publicly take a stand.
Those forces, they noted, are also a public health crisis.

As Dr. Jessica Edwards, a family medicine physician in New Braunfels, Texas, put it: “I’m an African American first before I’m a physician.”

All the health care workers interviewed said that they wore masks, tried to keep a distance from other protesters, and felt that the vast majority of people around them were doing the same. Several also came prepared to serve as medics in the event of police officers unleashing tear gas, tasers, flash grenades, pepper spray, and rubber bullets on crowds.

Earlier this spring, a smaller group of people gathered across the country to protest — in this case, against the stay-at-home-orders that have helped stem the transmission of the virus, but have also paralyzed businesses and driven historic numbers of Americans out of work. Groups of protesters flooded statehouses, some of them armed, and were criticized for potentially and needlessly spreading the virus as a result.

Should the same criticisms apply to the current protests? To the nurses and doctors interviewed for this article, the difference boiled down to a cause that is more widespread and fundamental, even existential.
maz wrote:Image

Protests Will Likely Spread The Coronavirus. These Doctors And Nurses Are Protesting Anyway.

People in Europe are protesting for George Floyd because it also gives them an excuse to break the stay at home order. However, from what I hear, being outside is better to avoid getting the virus than being in enclosed spaces inside.
Donna wrote:Maz hates black people.

This is a one line post, which is against the rules as well as off topic.

Hindsite wrote:People in Europe are protesting for George Floyd because it also gives them an excuse to break the stay at home order. However, from what I hear, being outside is better to avoid getting the virus than being in enclosed spaces inside.

This true, but I am not going by actual medical science, but what the coronavirus shamers told us based on their belief in scientism.

Do you think there will be this mythical wave that we keep hearing about?
ness31 wrote:Nice wedge Maz.

It's pretty surreal. Go to church? Dangerous! Burn a church down to protest George Floyd getting killed by a cop in a Democrat run city? A-okay.

A co-worker today mentioned a meme. Pot is legal. Pot stores are open. Barber shops are closed. The hippies won!

Democrats are some strange people. They kill black people and then protest what they did, blaming it on others.
blackjack21 wrote:It's pretty surreal. Go to church? Dangerous! Burn a church down to protest George Floyd getting killed by a cop in a Democrat run city? A-okay.

Speaking of burning churches, it was just two weeks ago when so pro-lock down protesters were taking the stay at home so seriously that they burned down a church that refused to close. Remember how serious our law enforcement officials and justice system took church burnings over the past few years? Haven't heard any follow up about this.

ness31 wrote:You should have made it a poll Maz. I’d have voted ‘yes’ ;)

I thought about it, but the last time I tried to make a poll I wasn't sure if I hit submit it would come out with my poll options.

wat0n wrote:Well, there were protests against the lockdowns by people who needed to get back to work as well. Presumably, those who supported those do not care all that much about the pandemic...?

I think the most lock down protesters did not think the pandemic was serious enough to warrant the kinds of orders coming from the governors and health officials.

It seems like the pro-lock down people, who are now supports of public protests have now come to the same point of agreement as the lock down protesters but for different reasons.
maz wrote:This true, but I am not going by actual medical science, but what the coronavirus shamers told us based on their belief in scientism.

Do you think there will be this mythical wave that we keep hearing about?

As I said before, I think Dr. Fauci was making the science up as he went along based on all his contradictions. Don't wear a mask, wear a mask, etc.

Well, if President Trump gets them to discover how to shine ultra-violet sunlight inside our bodies to kill the virus, no. :lol:
But seriously, I think we being out in the sunlight this summer should prevent this mythical wave.
George Floyd was not a Saint how the media pirtrays him. He was a mafioso not an ordinary man.

He was accused of money laundering. Just big crime organisations like cartels need money laundering.

He was not a small criminal gang member. He dealt with kingpins at least, perhaps also the cartells.

It is crazy how the massmedia makes a saint of a organized crime boss.

When you join the organazide crime you get rich or die trying.

It is insane people risk their lifes during a pandemic to protest a killing of a high class criminal who made a fortune by laundering money for human and drug traffic.

The wealth of his family should be under scrutiny.
Murder is murder, no matter who the victim is, or who does it.

You are just excusing murder. That's amoral, @SaddamHuseinovic.

The rest of your post is bullshit and complete racist idiocy. :knife:
Godstud wrote:Murder is murder, no matter who the victim is, or who does it.

You are just excusing murder. That's amoral,

:lol: Says the man who chooses to live in the country that has had more military coups than any other. Thailand is a fascist country with an intermittent democratic face. The senate is currently appointed, but when you have regular military coups and attempted coups, democratically elected politicians learn to police themselves. Does Godstud lift a finger to oppose all the human rights abuses in Thailand? Does he even ever criticise the Thai establishment. No because he loves the Thai deep state and the Thai establishment.

The Thai deep state with its regular threat of coups defends the Thai monarchy, defends the Thai elite, the Thai Buddhist establishment and their paedophile monks and it protects the comfortable lifestyle of rich foreigners who want to live in Thailand, whose cushy existence might be upset by genuine democracy.
Whataboutisms from the Village Idiot. @Rich, you know fuck all about Thailand. :lol:

Thailand is a democracy, with a democratically elected Prime Minister. USA is less democratic than Thailand. You're clueless.

Pedophile priests? Oh, sorry... monks. Are you talking about the USA, UK, or where? :?:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]