Am I racist in your opinion? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Am I racist?

Yes
56%
No
44%
Donna wrote:That's not what racism discourse is remotely saying.

Wrong:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/kwzj ... sm-is-real

"It's literally impossible to be racist to a white person."

https://medium.com/an-injustice/can-black-people-be-racist-2838a404e14c

"The issue with calling a Black person racist is that Black people, by definition, cannot be racist."

This person then goes on to justify this argument by re-defining the definition of racism:

"Racism is defined as a power structure that allows one group to put a system in place where they use their race to direct discrimination against people of different race based on the belief that their own race is superior."

WRONG: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/racism

Just because some sociology prof writes a book or article that attempts to re-define the definition of a term that's been around for centuries, doesn't mean you can. These people are LITERALLY RE-DEFINING WORDS to fit their agenda and ideology so that they can be racist towards white people. What a bunch of psychos.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Wrong:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/kwzj ... sm-is-real

https://medium.com/an-injustice/can-black-people-be-racist-2838a404e14c

"The issue with calling a Black person racist is that Black people, by definition, cannot be racist."

This person then goes on to justify this argument by re-defining the definition of racism:

"Racism is defined as a power structure that allows one group to put a system in place where they use their race to direct discrimination against people of different race based on the belief that their own race is superior."

WRONG: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/racism

Just because some sociology prof writes a book or article that attempts to re-define the definition of a term that's been around for centuries, doesn't mean you can. These people are LITERALLY RE-DEFINING WORDS to fit their agenda and ideology so that they can be racist towards white people. What a bunch of psychos.

None of those articles deny that white people can experience prejudice or discrimination.
What about Black Priviledge?

There is a Black History month, but no White History month.

Blacks can belong to clubs and organizations that cater specifically to their race, but there's no National Association for the Advancement of White People because such a group would be deemed racist.

College professors practicing "affirmative grading" hold black students to lower standards than others.

Corporations offer programs and internships to black workers but not to whites.

Being black today gives its recipients privileges ranging from landing coveted college scholarships to becoming activists who can build careers on racial grievances.

The Affirmative Action Program is a Black priviledge that Whites do not enjoy.

Blacks have the priviledge of being loud and ill-mannered with very little criticism.

Blacks have the priviledge of being considered in general to have better rhythm for dancing and better athletic ability.

Blacks have the priviledge of getting away with saying things like “you people” and the n-word and other insults without repercussions. Blacks can call white people "honky" and "cracker," but whites cannot use the N-word. Black comedians and rappers have referred to Black women as hos, but when Don Imus referred to Black women as nappy haired hos, he was fired.

Those are just a few examples that I can think of quickly.
Unthinking Majority wrote:We're talking about racial discrimination.

Right. There's nothing incorrect about that statement if the word racism is being used in the academic sense. Although I will admit young people present it in provocative ways while being esoteric about its nuances, it's still ultimately your responsibility to shape your opinions according to expertise and specialized knowledge and not sensational internet videos of 20 year-old SJWs who are trying to trigger people like you.
Donna wrote:Right. There's nothing incorrect about that statement if the word racism is being used in the academic sense. Although I will admit young people present it in provocative ways while being esoteric about its nuances, it's still ultimately your responsibility to shape your opinions according to expertise and specialized knowledge and not sensational internet videos of 20 year-old SJWs who are trying to trigger people like you.

I believe Whites are more likely to show racism to Blacks and Blacks are more likely to show racism to Whites. That is just the way it is right now.
Beren wrote:The n-word is a racial slur even in Hungary, for god's sake.

Why is it okay for Blacks to use the N-word? Sounds like Black privilege to me.
Atlantis wrote:To cut a long story short, considering other people as inferior because they have a different culture is racist.

Well said Atlantis, it makes me so angry the way people look down on Trump heartland culture. Its the same with the way some people sneer at Jim Crow culture or even worse ante-bellum Southern States culture. But I'm sorry to say that Germans have not always been free from this vile bigotry, in the past many cosmopolitan types used to look down their noses at Prussian militaristic culture, hopefully we now live in more enlightened time and can treat Prussian militarism with the respect it deserves.

You see its a terrible slippery slope. It starts of with people looking down their noses at Adolph Hitler, Otto von Bismark and Frederick the Great. The next thing you know people have got it into their heads that they're morally superior to Shaka Zulu, Genghis Khan and the prophet Mohammed.
Beren wrote:Because it refers to themselves, I guess.

This is a partial history of the word. It is old and steeped in a lot of oppressive uses. But in modern times it was adopted by African Americans who were urban underclass and used among themselves as a way of identifying with their historical past as being looked down upon.

Notice the Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor skit and why Chase could not use the word but Pryor could? That is a very important distinction.

Here:

Donna wrote:Right. There's nothing incorrect about that statement if the word racism is being used in the academic sense.

By "academic" Donna means as defined by woketards with advanced degrees in identity hustling.
Donna wrote:Right. There's nothing incorrect about that statement if the word racism is being used in the academic sense. Although I will admit young people present it in provocative ways while being esoteric about its nuances, it's still ultimately your responsibility to shape your opinions according to expertise and specialized knowledge and not sensational internet videos of 20-year-old SJWs who are trying to trigger people like you.

No human being or ethnic group in the world is free of human culture. No one lives without culture. But what is African American culture? For me, they are the root of American born culture. Why? Did they come in chains Donna and as such? They had to commit to the USA and its land and the English language from the very beginning. They had no choice in terms of preserving an immigrant tradition. The cultures in the Americas that were stamped out had their language, food, customs, religion, knowledge, and history stripped from them.

And it was replaced with a new culture to model themselves after. African Americans literally had their names beat out of them when they first arrived. Not even their names they were allowed. So? How does a culture who has been turned into property for centuries? Recuperate from that? It is the story of human perseverance and resilience and spirit. It is a great story. The African American story. And well worth investing time and effort in understanding it, Donna.

Most African slaves Donna came from Western Africa. They came from specific tribes. In Cuba, they preserved their original chants in their original languages. For example, in Cuba, they still have songs in the original Yoruban language. Yoruba. Let me see if I can find that for you, Donna? Here is a good example. An 'orisha' is a god. In the West African tradition. Since in the Caribbean that spoke Spanish and French the drum was allowed and not interfered with the West Africans preserved their language in chants. Such as this one...if you examine it closely it is the base for the Cuban sound that is endemic to Cuban music called 'el son'.

African culture is an absolute beauty. The only ones who don't know that are people who never had to live in it or who never lived among African communities in the Americas and somehow think the African is primitive or inferior? By what measure? For me what I wrote long ago in a cultural thread? An African Queen with a club foot defeated the Roman armies of Marc Anthony of Rome...people have no idea about African history because the Eurocentric view is the only one presented as valid and true.

The Schomburg Library in the NY Public library system is large and has a lot of African history. It was ironically founded by a Puerto Rican. Arturo Schomburg. Here is the link? You can study all of the contributions to human history from the African continent and their descendants in the Americas there well. It is vast. Because what they have contributed is a lot. But like most people who are not European it is not studied in by ordinary Americans, etc because the narrative undermines what the stereotype is about. Got to combat ignorance with knowledge. Here:

https://www.nypl.org/about/locations/schomburg

It is logical to see people as survivors of many thousands of years of challenges. To think they learn nothing and never impart knowledge to their children and that they don't love their families and their ways of life or their lands and their traditions? Is foolish.

Colonization destabilized traditional theaters, and demarcations and territories, the need for African resources created tremendous war, tension, and degrading circumstances based on European colonial rules. Many of them forced by a point of a gun.

African tribes have been part of great civilizations for centuries. They are mentioned in the Bible like the Nubians and many others.

In Europe, most of Europe never had educated people formally either til way late in its history. Most of humanity was illiterate. The USA did not have public schools teaching reading and writing until the 1920s consistently. Most people in the world were farmers and shepherds for centuries, in Greece, Rome, Mesopotamia, Constantinople, and everywhere else.

To start thinking Africans in a big generic term? So not specific. Like what Africans truly are. That continent is ENORMOUS. It has every type of language and ethnic group. Zulus, Bantus, Lucumis, Mende, Kikuyu, Yoruba, the cities of Timbuktu, Ile Ife, Nairobi, Cairo, Capetown, Liberia (founded by African Americans as a back to Africa movement founded by Marcus Garvey a Jamaican American immigrant who organized African Americans...the Liberian flag looks like the USA early versions of the USA union flag.

Learn African history. Once you do the 'primitive' stuff goes down the tubes. You are dealing with the very essence of human civilization. The Cradle of all aspects of the homo sapiens species. The people who created geometry in the Nile and its rich delta, the savannahs, the jungles, the many aspects of adapting to a vast land and finding shelter, growing food, living with laws, political structures, finding a way of making a community respond to what is important...to live a meaningful human life. What were their values and why they chose those values? It almost always reflects the land it comes from...

The Orishas....they are out there...hiding behind the Virgin Mary and Saints of the Roman Catholics who also in Pagan Rome had polytheism with archetypes found in human civilization. Found in Greek myths. You see a lot of repeating patterns of need in human life. Human culture. HUMAN.

The ones who don't see their own ways and pasts in the Africans don't see they also have curled hands....curled when they rest...to grab a tree....in case while sleeping they don't fall off and die....white curled hands, black curled hands...Try to sleep Donna without in a resting position letting your hands curl. That past in African trees is not much removed from your modern self.

Your identity is yours. But your humanity is not in question. Neither are the Africans.
@Atlantis

I think polish, Irish and brits are more or less impossible to distinguish physically.

Many Jewish people in Nazi germany were hard to find I believe. Only some had distinctive physical traits hence the yellow stars. In the ancient world slaves had no ethnic differences.

The reasons people choose to turn other groups into second class citizens can be all over the place but is essentially about turning them into an out group. We need to keep an open mind because it changes quite quickly.

Blacks still have it very bad but I would argue Pretty low of the scale globally. Certain minorities in the Middle East or east Asia have it more like blacks in the 1800s but no one protests for them. No one gives a shit because, ironically, we now see those blacks in America as more on an in group.
layman wrote:@Atlantis

I think polish, Irish and brits are more or less impossible to distinguish physically.

Many Jewish people in Nazi germany were hard to find I believe. Only some had distinctive physical traits hence the yellow stars. In the ancient world slaves had no ethnic differences.

The reasons people choose to turn other groups into second class citizens can be all over the place but is essentially about turning them into an out group. We need to keep an open mind because it changes quite quickly.

Blacks still have it very bad but I would argue Pretty low of the scale globally. Certain minorities in the Middle East or east Asia have it more like blacks in the 1800s but no one protests for them. No one gives a shit because, ironically, we now see those blacks in America as more on an in group.

This is an interesting perspective to explore.

But racism is just a facet of humanity's inability to connect well with others. Of false thinking and self delusion. There are a lot of those out there layman.

A lot of false delusions about what other people are to us and how we think we are not connected.
Donna wrote:Most white people are socialized from childhood with racist assumptions about the world. But this is an interesting topic. In the social circles I roll with white people don't refer to themselves as non-racists, they refer to themselves as anti-racist allies. It's a pretty important distinction because if someone is just insisting that they are personally non-racist in their heart of hearts, they probably have an ulterior motive to make it about themselves and signal that hard.

A white person that is heavily invested against racism often practices condescending racism of low expectations and feels compelled to save the so-called less advantaged. However, there are white people that are simply neutral about racial classifications.

BTW, there is only ONE human race hence the term racism is incorrect even if it describes discrimination. Furthermore, racism implies superiority of one group over another. That is not cool!
Julian658 wrote:However, there are white people that are simply neutral about racial classifications.

Facts don't care about your feelings. It doesn't matter how non-racist and race-neutral you think of yourself as, if you are white-passing you implicitly benefit from a political regime of racist structures.
Spider-Man wrote:I do not want to be racist I want to purge myself of any such bigotry. However, I can be honest. I don't think Native American tribes and African tribes would have credit cards, cell phones, internet, computers, and or other technology had it not been for European colonisation. Instead of beating myself up with white guilt, I can look at the positives and how indigenous people are profiting from the European invasion. If an indigenous person needs knee replacements they get it and other things that would not otherwise be available to them. I actually had a black case worker say she was glad her ancestors were brought over as slaves, because she could not imagine living in Africa, and so many people in Africa want to live in America.

In Africa they still have villages where people live in mud huts. There's also an enormous water scarcity and the violence is so bad on that continent that if that many conflicts were going on in Europe, we would call it World War 3. So, a lot of people are benefiting from slavery right?

I believe these views to be true. Does that make me racist? I do not believe that hatred of another race is justified, and such hate groups are toxic and a disgrace, so I hate being labeled or in that group when I explain I'm a Fascist, I certainly do not like being in groups with a lot of the people that wind up at the far right politically. Fascism isn't racist and I think people of color are the future of Fascism.

I love to see friendships between whites and blacks, Arabs and Jews. Fascism is about working together. It's about unity.

I think everybody should be judged by their behavior not their ethnicity.

You tell me. Am I racist?

The reason Asia and Europe developed ahead of other areas was geographic advantage that provided great natural resources as well as domesticated animals and plants. The discovery of agriculture was key in technological advancement. Humans living in New Guinea had no chance of developing agriculture or having domestic animals and hence remain hunter and gatherers and must practice cannibalism to obtain protein.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]