The main policies of my ideal "Progressive" Party. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

My lists of the Progressive Party's main policies and some it intends to deal with later.

The main policies for now.
1] Use the lens that Modern Monetary Theory economics has created to see that ---
. . . a] Deficits don't matter, and the total national debt doesn't matter.
. . . b] That what does matter is the actual labor or stuff the Gov. wants to buy with the money it proposes to spend if the current bill passes. Real stuff matters, money doesn't because the US Gov. can easily create money, but it can't create stuff as easily.
. . . c] The Job Guarantee Program will replace unemployment as the way to avoid inflation automatically and also sets the new min. wage at about $15/hr.
2] Fight ACC aka AGW as hard as necessary to do what is necessary as determined by climate scientists.
3] Fight racism very hard to stamp out policies at all gov. levels that impose or retain racism.
4] While understanding the the US Gov. does not need the money of the rich to do what it needs to do, the rich got their money mostly in an immoral way and taking it away from them is fitting and proper.
. . . Find a way to tax the rich or the corps. they own that they can't avoid or pass onto their customers without leaving the US or going out of business. [See my recent post in "Economics and Capitalism" for my example tax.]
5] Tax all imports at a low level (tariffs) and use the money to fund Soc. Sec.. If the stuff isn't made by American workers it still needs to support the retired workers. Reduce the current FICA tax back to something like it was before it was increased in 1983 to have the Boomers pre-pay for their benefits.
6] Provide Medicare for all as an *option* for everyone. Fund it with the tariffs and deficits as necessary. See also #4 above.
7] A UBI is not a good idea. Automation is not going to be so much of a problem because using robots to make stuff means burning carbon to produce the energy to power the robots. This is not going to happen because of the policies being used to fight ACC.
8] Others?

The problems to be put off for now. These are put off because they help only a few voters (each one less than 2% of voters) and anger many more voters. We need to fix the economy and ACC aka AGW as the main goals.
1] Identity politics.
. . . IMHO, this is an idea imposed by bots of the rich to divide the people who might vote against the rich. This lets the rich gather votes from one side or the other.
. . . IMHO, where we are now on these issues are good enough for now. Although requiring "Family, Handicapped, &/or Transgender" public bathrooms in many businesses is not a bad idea. This solves the bathroom problem for most people.
2] Others.

Please add your ideas with replies.
What about foreign policies? It would be absurd to suggest that there weren't (enough powerful) people who intentionally want to harm / stop / destroy American for their own gains so that a foreign policy is omitted.
Steve_American wrote:My lists of the Progressive Party's main policies and some it intends to deal with later...

These are all basically decent policies. But our main problem is not coming up with good ideas. The major conceptual defect of any third party (or even Democratic Party) effort is that electoral change has been effectively neutralized through a combination of classic manufacturing consent plus sabotage of the electoral system itself. The end result is that we can no longer trust the vote tabulations to be accurate, either at the primary or general level. Nor can we guarantee that every eligible voters who wants to vote will have the opportunity to do so.

The current available political spectrum (Clintonist Third Way to Trumpist hard right) is hardened and it cannot be cracked by electoral means. The closest we've come was the Sanders campaign and it's unimaginable that anyone else could be more successful employing that model.

The only avenue left is civil disobedience. This is unlikely to be a major factor until Americans start hurting a lot more than they already are. The "good" news is that the oligarchy has plans to maximally increase your suffering.

Patrickov wrote:What about foreign policies? It would be absurd to suggest that there weren't (enough powerful) people who intentionally want to harm / stop / destroy American for their own gains so that a foreign policy is omitted.

The only moral foreign policy position for progressives is principled non-intervention. This means a halt to regime change covert ops, sanctions, military aid, arm sales, and troops stationed outside the US. This actually makes protection of American people a whole lot easier, not more difficult.
@quetzalcoatl,
In another thread today I wrote,
"As I said before, vote Dem in this election** and vote Progressive in later elections if the street protesters manage to get the Dems to become Progressive OR to get the Progressive Party to become a major party somehow. If the Progressives can't take control of the US Gov. from the rich then it doesn't matter what is done, we will all die in 50 years anyway. Extinction is final.

IMO, humanity's future is in the hands of the mass of the American people. If they can't take control of the Gov. (by Jan. 2022) and make radical changes then human extinction has a 90% chance of being the inevitable result. YMMV i.e. YOMV"

This new thread is my follow on about my main policies for the possible Progressive Party or the Dems if they are willing to change.

All this is based on the fact that there are already 100+K in the streets of America demanding change. I am hoping that they will stay there and form the nucleus of the Progressive Party that will grow over the next 2 years. Or that the Dems will see the writing on the wall and shift way to the left and adopt my proposed policies.

IMO, this is humanity's only hope because ACC will very soon be devastating to grain harvests and so civilization. YMMV.

I'm focused on American affairs.
My foreign policy is to help the world fight ACC.
And to break the grip of Neo-liberal economics on the EU and all other nations (with a few exceptions).
. . . I would pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq. I'd offer to provide transportation to any Muslim nation those people want to go to that will let them come. And give them a small UBI for a while to settle into their new home. Pres. Bush made a huge mess in our name and we can (deficit) spend some $$ to try to fix it, but being or staying there will *never* fix it. [see MMT for how this would not cause inflation in America.]
But, then. I'm no expert, so I'd listen to some State (incl. ex-State) Dept. *experts*.
quetzalcoatl wrote:The only moral foreign policy position for progressives is principled non-intervention. This means a halt to regime change covert ops, sanctions, military aid, arm sales, and troops stationed outside the US. This actually makes protection of American people a whole lot easier, not more difficult.

Well if I were an American voter I would surely not vote for this party.

I got my results: https://moralfoundations.github[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...We have bottomless pockets and Russia does not[…]

@Godstud What is going to change? I thought t[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving […]