Public satisfaction in government increasing in China - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Well first, China is a totalitarian dictatorship that enforces propaganda. The media in the country is filtered by the state, and things they want pushed whether true or not are often pushed, and things they want hidden are banned. So the knowledge Chinese have about their own country and other countries goes through a government filter, which will influence their opinions. So maybe the CCP has become better at propaganda, or have a more invasive surveillance state in the internet and smartphone age where opinions are tracked and dissent is crushed more effectively.

Economic conditions in China keep improving, I assume this also is a factor. The country is essentially fascist. They're aiming for national rejuvenation to eventually take over the world. Make China Great Again.
I've noticed a trend, where China has been becoming more like the US, and the US has been becoming more like China.

Now obviously they haven't reached the "crossing point" yet, but the two countries have been becoming closer to being more alike.

Some of this has slightly reversed a little bit in just the last few years under the new Chinese President, which has not been a good trend. Up to that point, the political environment in China was gradually becoming a freer place, which came along with the rapid increase in economic prosperity and rise of a middle class.
Rancid wrote:Was it becoming freer? As far as I know, the Kibash was put on that during the Tienanmen square crackdown.

Yes, there was an interval between about 1998 and 2014 when the level of freedom seemed to be increasing, and many political activists had high hopes. (Although it's also true the majority of the population cared far more about economic prosperity than political freedom)
Puffer Fish wrote:Yes, there was an interval between about 1998 and 2014 when the level of freedom seemed to be increasing, and many political activists had high hopes. (Although it's also true the majority of the population cared far more about economic prosperity than political freedom)

What changed it? Xi Jingping? Some geopolitical interaction between China and the rest of the world?
Rancid wrote:What changed it? Xi Jingping? Some geopolitical interaction between China and the rest of the world?

It's a little complicated.

Probably it does have much to do with who was President, and his policies.

Or maybe China reached a point where the Party was not comfortable going beyond, and there was a little bit of backtracking.

Then of course the crackdown in the province of Xinjiang and the muslims. Some of that sentiment may have spilled a little bit onto other religions as well, throughout the country.

Also the economy is beginning to slow, and so a rapid rise in level of prosperity can no longer be a panacea for all the other issues.

China has also become less reliant on selling to US and EU markets than it was 10 years ago. Before, they were trying to put on a good impression. (They've pretty much gotten all the money they needed now and have developed their industries and economy)
Then the Recession in the US and debt crisis in the EU sort of discredited the American style of government and economy in their eyes.
Yea, I can buy what you are saying.

I think what we will see is much more parity across a few more nations around the world (US, EU, India, China, Russia, etc.). This will increase overall tensions overall and erode cooperation further. It will also turn more poorer countries into client states of the larger actors. The world is a game of chess to the global elite and power brokers.
Rancid wrote:I think what we will see is much more parity across a few more nations around the world (US, EU, India, China, Russia, etc.). This will increase overall tensions overall and erode cooperation further. It will also turn more poorer countries into client states of the larger actors.

I was thinking in some ways it might reduce tensions, since different governments will become more like each other.
But yeah, I see you may be right, overall it may result in an increase in tensions.

And it should also be pointed out that two people being alike does not always reduce conflict, in some cases it can be the cause of conflict.
Puffer Fish wrote:And it should also be pointed out that two people being alike does not always reduce conflict, in some cases it can be the cause of conflict.

Hitler and Stalin would be perfect examples. But unfortunately, it can also be seen that "it takes a Stalin to stop Hitler" (or vice versa if history developed differently)
Puffer Fish wrote:I was thinking in some ways it might reduce tensions, since different governments will become more like each other.
But yeah, I see you may be right, overall it may result in an increase in tensions.

It's also possible that everyone being more alike will encourage more cooperation. Since no one entity can bully any other. However, I'm a pessimist, and I think that rather than cooperation, they will all just scheme to figure out ways to get ahead of each other. Thus, raising tensions.
skinster wrote:Public satisfaction of the government is increasing in China. Since we're talking about other countries too now, how are things looking in America? Do we have a similar poll?

In China there is constant propaganda telling people how wonderful everything is and what a wonderful government they have.
In America, there is constant propaganda telling people how terrible everything is and what a terrible current government they have.

What do you expect?
Puffer Fish wrote:In China there is constant propaganda telling people how wonderful everything is and what a wonderful government they have.
In America, there is constant propaganda telling people how terrible everything is and what a terrible current government they have.

What do you expect?

Considering the fickleness of the human mind it is really irrelevant what people claim to believe at this or that time.

The immutable fact remains, however, that most Chinese (inside and outside the PRC) are proud of the industrial and political strength together with a tremendous boost in GDP the CCP has achieved. US neocons know very well that without the strong hand of the CCP, China would fracture and descend into chaos and poverty. That's why they pursue their regime change strategy, because that is the only way the US can defend its global hegemony.
Atlantis wrote:US neocons know very well that without the strong hand of the CCP, China would fracture and descend into chaos and poverty.

The problem is they are still rather recently out of poverty, but with their new found power they are already eager to alter the way of life of many others (e.g. Hongkongers, Taiwanese and Uighurs) in a bad way. I rather have them struggling in poverty than allowing them to abuse their newfound "power" without a way to stop them.

Do not get me wrong, this is not something unique in China, and what they do are essentially the same as many country-dwelling brats elsewhere in the world, e.g. US Republican (Trump) supporters / Daily Mail or Sun readers in the UK / Thaksin supporters in Thailand / Russian Putin supporters.

Puffer Fish wrote:In China there is constant propaganda telling people how wonderful everything is and what a wonderful government they have.

What do you expect?

I expect that people would admit to satisfaction if they experienced it, not because of propaganda telling them what they feel.

Speaking of propaganda, the casual racism and hatred towards China is a testament to the powers of propaganda in the West. :excited:
Patrickov wrote:The problem is they are still rather recently out of poverty, but with their new found power they are already eager to alter the way of life of many others (e.g. Hongkongers, Taiwanese and Uighurs) in a bad way. I rather have them struggling in poverty than allowing them to abuse their newfound "power" without a way to stop them.

Like it or not, Xinjiang and Hong Kong are part of China and the CCP will do whatever it takes to keep it that way.

Challenging CCP rule in China will invariably provoke a hostile reaction. No foreign power has the means to change that, and for the sake of world peace, shouldn't even try. My concern is more that Chinese leaders will become arrogant and try to increase their influence outside of China by hard-ball methods. If they are wise, they won't try to aggressively expand their influence, because it's bound to provoke an anti-Chinese reaction, but wisdom is a rare commodity among national leaders.
Atlantis wrote:My concern is more that Chinese leaders will become arrogant and try to increase their influence outside of China by hard-ball methods. If they are wise, they won't try to aggressively expand their influence, because it's bound to provoke an anti-Chinese reaction, but wisdom is a rare commodity among national leaders.

Is this concern based on things that have happened?
skinster wrote:Is this concern based on things that have happened?

Chinese claims in the South China Sea, Chinese hard-ball methods along the BRI, Chinese neo-colonialism and land-grabbing in Africa, Chinese attempts to undermine the EU, Chinese arrogance in regard to colored people, etc., they are all signs of things to come. I guess Chinese leaders must understand that these things are counter-productive, but the arrogance of power has its own dynamics and will not be reigned in. In the end they'll fail, but at what cost ...

You should put the full quote I am of the o[…]

Muscovite’s Slaughter of Indigenous People in Alas[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]

No, it doesn't. The US also wants to see Hamas top[…]