Election 2020 - Page 175 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Drlee
You are clearly not a conservative. Conservatives have a predilection for country clubs and high end stuff.

Hmm. You can't help making stupid posts can you? You are so out of your league here.

As others who have watched my posts here for years already know, I live in a very upscale neighborhood. (Both homes.) I drive a Porsche Macan Turbo. My watches are both Rolex. I rarely fly coach. I earn a very substantial income. Now you have motivated me to be a boor in defending myself you can withdraw your pathetic trolling.

Trumps nouveau riche dumb asses do not impress me very much at all. Besides. Trump is a fake billionaire. I doubt be is worth much more than a few million.
By XogGyux
Imagine that, Trump wanting to buy voters with pretend executive order lol. It only took 7 months and over 2 months after democrats passed a stimulus in the house for Trump to realize that this was needed.
This is not gonna sit well with Republicans who are now pretty much forced to work with Democrats to actually forgive this $$ since the president doesn't have the power to appropriate money.
Nice job Trump... rather than negotiate... supposedly what you were "elected" to do... you rather just throw a temper tantrum, take unilateral action which probably you don't have the power to take anyway and leave the room leaving everyone to fight behind, right after cutting the legs of your team.
As far as re-election goes, not a bad strategy although definitely extremely dirty and unethical. As far as governance and/or negotiation skill... big fat ZERO.
Not to mention these actions, which as far as I can tell are largely unconstitutional by bypassing congress is just another erosion at the 3 branches system that has worked for centuries in the US.
By Julian658
Drlee wrote:Hmm. You can't help making stupid posts can you? You are so out of your league here.

You put down Trump for hanging out at the golf club. That is a very SJWish thing to say. All presidents should play golf, it is a tradition that even Obama kept.

As others who have watched my posts here for years already know, I live in a very upscale neighborhood. (Both homes.) I drive a Porsche Macan Turbo. My watches are both Rolex. I rarely fly coach. I earn a very substantial income. Now you have motivated me to be a boor in defending myself you can withdraw your pathetic trolling.

It is not cool ( I could say much worse) to post what you have posted, but I guess you needed that to lift your ego. Your house and the car you drive is unnecessary information. Oprah has more money than you and she is as woke as you are.

Your avatar is Voltaire who was primarily known for his disdain for the rich people and upper class. You are a walking contradiction and this is what generally happens when you try to create a fake persona on forums.

Trumps nouveau riche dumb asses do not impress me very much at all. Besides. Trump is a fake billionaire. I doubt be is worth much more than a few million.

Trumps is an ass. No argument from me, however, the questions that begs an answer is: Is Trump better than a woke VP who will run the USA to the ground. This is important because if Biden wins he will not finish the term. Whomever is VP will have massive power.
By Julian658
XogGyux wrote:Imagine that, Trump wanting to buy voters with pretend executive order lol. It only took 7 months and over 2 months after democrats passed a stimulus in the house for Trump to realize that this was needed.
This is not gonna sit well with Republicans who are now pretty much forced to work with Democrats to actually forgive this $$ since the president doesn't have the power to appropriate money.
Nice job Trump... rather than negotiate... supposedly what you were "elected" to do... you rather just throw a temper tantrum, take unilateral action which probably you don't have the power to take anyway and leave the room leaving everyone to fight behind, right after cutting the legs of your team.
As far as re-election goes, not a bad strategy although definitely extremely dirty and unethical. As far as governance and/or negotiation skill... big fat ZERO.
Not to mention these actions, which as far as I can tell are largely unconstitutional by bypassing congress is just another erosion at the 3 branches system that has worked for centuries in the US.

Very good post! At the end of the day is all bullshit. It is amazing that we have morons up there and the country still runs.
By XogGyux
Julian658 wrote:Very good post! At the end of the day is all bullshit. It is amazing that we have morons up there and the country still runs.

It runs for now. You can have a car, losen a few screws, maybe take one or two completely and if they are not 100% critical, the car will still run. But chances are that the longevity and/or performance will be severely hindered by doing so. After all, manufacturers don't usually put a bunch of screws just for decoration, usually, they are holding something important.
You don't see it coming, I don't blame you. After all, those in Cuba did not see it coming, those in Russia, Germany, etc did not see it coming at their time... Your golden boy is going to erode "the greatest nation on earth".
And the longer you guys stay in the zone of spin, the harder it will be to get out.
Whatever, you are a lost cause, hopefully November is not as bad as what the rest of the year has turned out to be.
By Julian658
XogGyux wrote:It runs for now. You can have a car, losen a few screws, maybe take one or two completely and if they are not 100% critical, the car will still run. But chances are that the longevity and/or performance will be severely hindered by doing so. After all, manufacturers don't usually put a bunch of screws just for decoration, usually, they are holding something important.
You don't see it coming, I don't blame you. After all, those in Cuba did not see it coming, those in Russia, Germany, etc did not see it coming at their time... Your golden boy is going to erode "the greatest nation on earth".
And the longer you guys stay in the zone of spin, the harder it will be to get out.
Whatever, you are a lost cause, hopefully November is not as bad as what the rest of the year has turned out to be.

You people think I love Trump-------WRONG!!!!!!

I will be happy the day Trump is gone and we have a true libertarian pro economic growth president. Someone that would be neutral about all the SJW BIG issues such a LGBTQIA, classification of humans by skin color, and the idea that boys can have a pussy instead of a penis. I could care less if lefties are into that sort of thing as long as they don't impose that on others.

We also need a president that looks for the well being of the USA population and forgets the globalism BS that has created the massive wealth gap. The globalism BS caused jobs to leave America while at the same time importing cheap labor from abroad. A great one-two punch to destroy the blue collar middle class.

So what is better? An inept Trump? Early dementia Biden? Or a woke female president that will go global 100%? What if we get a president that wants a equality at all costs? That would be the end!
By Doug64
And a look at what massive mail-in voting can mean for November (and December, and maybe January....)

Mail-in voting could accidentally disenfranchise millions of voters

President Trump is suing Nevada over its recent decision to send absentee ballots to all voters, and warning the country “There is NO WAY (ZERO!) that Mail-In Ballots will be anything less than substantially fraudulent.” Trump’s critics argue that there is no evidence that voting by mail results in fraud. Trump is right that mail-in voting is a source of potential voter fraud, especially on the scale that is being proposed. But the bigger problem is not vote fraud — it’s vote failure.

There is plenty of evidence that mail-in voting has the unintended consequence of disenfranchising of millions of eligible voters. A Massachusetts Institute of Technology study of the 2008 presidential election found that about 3.9 million voters said they requested mail ballots but never received them; 2.9 million ballots that were sent out did not make it back to election officials; and about 800,000 were rejected for a variety of reasons — either because they were postmarked after the election, arrived without a signature, were improperly filled out or did not match voting records. “The pipeline that moves mail ballots between voters and election officials is very leaky,” the study concluded.

More recently, the 2020 Democratic primaries should serve as a cautionary tale. About six weeks after New York’s congressional primaries, winners were not declared in two closely watched House races until Tuesday. That’s thanks to complications in counting the surge of more than 400,000 mail-in ballots, of which state officials have already invalidated 84,000. In California, election officials rejected more than 100,000 mail-in ballots in the state’s March presidential primary. To put these numbers in perspective, Trump won the White House in 2016 thanks to roughly 80,000 votes in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin combined. In Pennsylvania alone, mail ballot problems kept about 92,000 people from voting in a primary in a state that Trump won by just 44,000 votes four years ago. In Florida, about 18,500 mail-in ballots were not counted, and in Nevada, about 6,700 were rejected. In a close race, such failures could easily call the results into question.

None of these problems were because of fraud. They were because of mistakes by voters, postal problems or the inability to handle the massive surge in ballots that overwhelmed electoral systems not equipped to handle them. If election officials had this much trouble handing mail-in ballots during low-turnout primaries, imagine what will happen in the general election. Put aside the ability of election officials to process the results. Does anyone believe that the US Postal Service is ready to handle a sudden deluge of tens of millions of ballots right before Election Day? Millions of ballots are inevitably going to be delayed, be misdirected or arrive without postmarks. And many will be invalidated because voters made mistakes filling them out and could not ask election workers for help marking the ballots correctly.

If mail-in voting is permitted on an unprecedented scale, millions of votes will be rejected and the election could be thrown the election into chaos. Ironically, it could very well be Democrats who end up crying foul. A study of Georgia’s 2018 midterm elections found that mail-in ballots of “younger, minority and first-time voters are most likely to be thrown out.” A study of Florida’s midterms that same year determined that mail-in ballots “cast by Black, Hispanic, and other racial and ethnic minorities were more than twice as likely to be rejected as … ballots cast by White absentee mail voters.” Democrats now pushing for mail-in ballots will soon be claiming they are a tool of voter suppression.

The Democrats’ solution to these problems is to relax the standards for mail-in ballots, such as the requirement that they be postmarked. Now that is an invitation to fraud. If a candidate is narrowly behind on election night, what is to stop their supporters from sending in a slew of ballots after Election Day — especially in states that permit “ballot harvesting,” where campaign workers collect absentee ballots in bulk? There will be millions of blank ballots in circulation, because instead of sending ballots only to voters who request them, many states intend them to send to every registered voter — which inevitably includes many who moved or died.

This probably does not matter in deep-blue and deep-red states where the final result is not in doubt. But in swing states such as Nevada, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio, it could lead to disaster — even if there is no fraud. Most states have no experience with mail-in voting on this scale and are completely unprepared for what is coming. We are conducting an unprecedented electoral experiment in the midst of one of the most contentious elections in US history. The result could be a post-election battle that will make the hanging chad controversy of Bush v. Gore seem mild by comparison.

What is interesting about this is a role planning game carried out by the Transition Integrity Project for four scenarios for the election--an ambiguous outcome, a clear Biden victory, a clear Trump victory, and a narrow Biden win. There is a clear bias in these, in that both the narrow and clear Biden wins have him winning both the popular vote and the Electoral College while the single Trump victory has Biden winning the popular vote by 5% while Trump wins the Electoral College. But putting that lack of balance aside, what is most relevant were the outcomes for the ambiguous outcome and the Trump victory:

Game One: Ambiguous Result

The first game investigated a scenario in which the outcome of the election remained unclear from elec-tion night and throughout gameplay. The election outcome turned on results of three states: North Caro-lina, Michigan and Florida. Different combinations of outcomes from those states could result in a range of final election results –including a 269-269 Electoral College tie. A ‘blue shift’ occurred during the game whereby what initially looked like a likely Trump win shifted in the second turn to looking like a Biden win.

Turn One (November 3 –November 10)
    • The Trump Campaign began the game by calling on Biden to concede based on the election night in-person voting returns, which skewed toward President Trump and the GOP. The Trump Campaign also used the“bully pulpit” of the Presidency and its influence with right wing media to lock in the election night returns, call into question mail-in ballots or the legitimacy of post-election day vote counts, and enlist the support of Republican officials in several states to immediately halt further vote counting.
    • The Trump Campaign team asked the Department of Justice (DoJ) to deploy federal agents across the nation to “secure” voting sites and prepare the National Guard for possible deployment to maintain order against potential protests. Attorney General Barr instructed the DoJ to support litigation that would prevent further counting of mail-in ballots.
    • On election night, the Biden Campaign declared that victory was imminent and called for every vote to be counted. The team mobilized a network of influential bipartisan elites, elected officials, and retired military officers to speak to the press and denounce any effort to suppress counting the vote. The Biden Campaign also called for peaceful rallies, echoing a call to count every vote.
    • GOP Elected Officials publicly supported Trump’s victory and claims of voter fraud but stopped short of supporting the deployment of military forces. Democratic Elected Officials were proactive in the states where they held offices to ensure votes would be counted and to build bipartisan coalitions to oversee and protect the count.

Turn Two and Three
    • The Trump Campaign team again attempted to federalize the National Guard to end further vote counting and called on supporters to turn out in large numbers. The Biden Campaign established a bipartisan transition team and mobilized supporters to ensure vote counting was completed thoroughly.
    • Officials from both parties sought to block or overturn results in key states, including seeking to use friendly state legislatures and governors to send alternate or additional sets of electors. After dice-rolls, most of these efforts failed.
    • As the scenario played out, North Carolina went to Biden and Florida to Trump, leaving Michigan as the deciding state. There, a rogue individual destroyed a large number of ballots believed to have supported Biden, leaving Trump a narrow electoral win. The Governor of Michigan used this abnormality as justification to send a separate, pro-Biden set of electors to DC.
    • Neither campaign was willing to accept the result,and called on their supporters to turn out in the streets to sway the result. The Trump Campaign team attempted to coerce or influence the individual electors. President Trump also invoked the Insurrection Act.
    • The outcome of the scenario hinged on how the elected officials from the two parties addressed the separate slate of electors from Michigan. GOP officials asserted that as the President of the Senate, Vice President Pence could legally choose to accept or reject electors as he wished. There was no clear resolution of the conflict in the January 6 joint session of Congress; the partisans on both sides were still claiming victory, leading to the problem of two claims to Commander-in-Chief power (including access to the nuclear codes) at noon on January 20.

Game Three: Clear Trump Win

The third scenario posited a comfortable Electoral College victory for President Trump —286-252 —but also a significant popular vote win—52% -47%--for former Vice President Biden. The game play ended in a constitutional crisis, with threats of secession, and the potential for either a decline into authoritarian-ism or a radically revamped set of democratic rules that ensure the popular will prevails (abolishment of the Electoral College, making DC and Puerto Rico states, and other changes). Key moves and actions include:

Turn One
    • The Trump Campaign had two main objectives at the outset of the scenario. The first priority was to legitimize the Electoral College results by pushing narratives that cast doubt on former Vice President Biden’s popular vote victory and portraying wide-spread protests of President Trump as anti-American, undemocratic, and promoting mob rule.The Trump Campaign planted agent provocateurs into the protests throughout the country to ensure these protests turned violent and helped further the narrative of a violent insurrection against a lawfully elected president.
    • The second Trump Campaign priority was to consolidate power to reduce or eliminate the “Deep State” and broader institutional resistance to President Trump’s agenda for his second term. Specific measures included selective promotions of military personnel with “pro-American views”, rushing judicial nominations, increasing financial incentives to big business, and working with states to maximize GOP control through redistricting.
    • The GOP Elected Officials team was supportive of Trump’s efforts to crack down on protests. Establishing “law and order” and defeating the “anarchists” was a unifying call. But they pressed President Trump to “slow down” on the campaign’s more aggressive and overt efforts to consolidate power, partly out of concern that they would lose the support of moderate Democrats needed to publicly declare Trump’s victory legitimate.
    • The most consequential action of the first turn was the Biden Campaign’s retraction of its election night concession. It capitalized on the public’s outrage that for the third time in 20 years a candidate lost the popular vote but won the Electoral College. They also capitalized on concern about widespread voter suppression before and on Election Day. The Biden Campaign began the game by encouraging three states with Democratic governors—North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Michigan—to ask for recounts. As the game developed, governors in two of the three (Wisconsin and Michigan) sent separate slates of electors to counter those sent by the state legislature.
    • The GOP failed to convince moderate Democrats in the House to break ranks with the Democratic resistance and support Trump’s electoral victory, much to the GOP’s surprise. Part of the strategy here was to attack the Electoral College and to claim that the certified popular votes in these states were questionable because of voter suppression.
    • At the end of the first turn, the country was in the midst of a full-blown constitutional crisis characterized by: 1) Political chaos; 2) Widespread threats of violence, and sporadic actual violence in the streets; and 4) A hostile, dangerous, highly-partisan, and frequently unconstrained information and media environment.

Turns Two and Three:
    • The Biden Campaign encouraged Western states, particularly California but also Oregon and Washington,and collectively known as “Cascadia,” to secede from the Union unless Congressional Republicans agreed to a set of structural reforms to fix our democratic system to ensure majority rule. With advice from President Obama, the Biden Campaign submitted a proposal to 1) Give statehood to Washington, DC and Puerto Rico; 2) Divide California into five states to more accurately represent its population in the Senate; 3) Require Supreme Court justices to retire at 70; and 4) Eliminate the Electoral College, to ensure that the candidate who wins to the popular vote becomes President.
    • As the scenario evolved, the Trump Team focused its efforts on driving a wedge into the disparate and, in the view of many participants, fragile Democratic coalition. For example, during the second turn, Trump gave an interview to The Intercept in which he stated that he would have lost the election if Bernie Sanders had been nominated.
    • The Trump Team’s approach in turns two and three also emphasized creating the conditions to force the Biden Campaign into taking provocative, unprecedented actions—such as supporting California’s secession or sending a second slate of electors—that played into a broader narrative of the Democrats attempting to orchestrate an illegal coup. The team also tried to position President Trump as a “unifier”—working with top CEOs, holding a unifying event at the Lincoln Memorial, offering to establish a commission to review electoral rules—and as prioritizing safety and security in the face of radical groups supporting Joe Biden and trying to destroy America.
    • One of the most consequential moves was that Team Biden on January 6 provoked a breakdown in the joint session of Congress by getting the House of Representatives to agree to award the presidency to Biden (based on the alternative pro-Biden submissions sent by pro-Biden governors). Pence and the GOP refused to accept this, declaring instead that Trump was reelected under the Constitution because of his Electoral College victory. This partisan division remained unresolved because neither side backed down, and January 20 arrived without a single president-elect entitled to be Commander-in-Chief after noon that day. It was unclear what the military would do in this situation.

Personally, I think that there is a major flaw in these outcomes, in that they don't seem to have asked how the Supreme Court would act, especially on the question of competing slates of electors, one from the state legislature and one from the governor. Off the top of my head I'd see the SC coming down on the side of the legislatures' slates, since the Constitution places the decision of how electors should be chosen in the hands of the state legislatures rather than governors. But considering some of the incredibly politicized rulings in recent memory, who knows?
By XogGyux
Julian658 wrote:You people think I love Trump-------WRONG!!!!

I will be happy the day Trump is gone and we have a true libertarian pro economic growth president. Someone that would be neutral about all the SJW BIG issues such a LGBTQIA, classification of humans by skin color, and the idea that boys can have a pussy instead of a penis. I could care less if lefties are into that sort of thing as long as they don't impose that on others.

We also need a president that looks for the well being of the USA population and forgets the globalism BS that has created the massive wealth gap. The globalism BS caused jobs to leave America while at the same time importing cheap labor from abroad. A great one-two punch to destroy the blue collar middle class.

So what is better? An inept Trump? Early dementia Biden? Or a woke female president that will go global 100%? What if we get a president that wants a equality at all costs? That would be the end!

Your words say I don't like you, your actions says let me kiss your genitals. :lol:
We have gone through this many times already.
You say you hate the guy, you say you hate what he does, you say you agree with a bunch of "progressive" shit. But then you find excuses to just about everything he does and finds "defects" on his opposition. Granted, none of the democratic candidates were perfect, in fact no human being is perfect. And I am the first to point out that there were others "less flawed" and certainly with better, fresher ideas. But the comparison doesn't even get close to the flaws of Trump. Let's for the sake of argument say that Biden is indeed Demented as you erroneously suggest... he is running against a guy that is far more unstable... egomaniac, that plenty of actual psychiatrists (specialists in mental health) have put their reputation on the line to warn everyone... a family member with mental health experts that has also come forward with the same, and plenty of disgruntled cabinet/staffers that have leaked, published books, or given interview about how unfit this guy is and how at different points in their tenure they seriously considered the 25th amendment. Its like a fucking black hole calling the kettle black...
Now, the reality is that there is really no evidence of Biden having any sort of dementia. Dementia requires specific criteria that we don't have access to.
The guy is in his mid 70's, so is trump by the way. I do not expect NEITHER of them to be sharp, to not get tired/fatigued easily and/or to have a particularly fluid and polished improvised speech. There is a reason why both of them flunk when they answer the reporter's questions.

Now you are concerned about the wealth gap?
This is the problem with the US. We are still living in that fantasy of the first half of the 20th century in which an uneducated blue-collar "hard worker" could make enough to buy a house, have a stay-at-home wife and a half dozen beautiful kids and still have enough left over for some self-pampering. Blue-collar by definition means jobs that rely on manual labor and individuals tend to have limited and/or minimal formal education. This means that this jobs are easily replaceable, not only by some Chinese kid half a world away but by a robot as well. We have a culture that has de-emphasized the importance of education, a society that has allowed college tuitions to skyrocket, a goverment that seems quite impotent about doing anything on the matter and an electorate that does not understand the multiple cogwheels of the machine.
Clinton was right, she did not had the audience's ear to hear it or the charisma to gain some ground on this battle, but some jobs simply are not worth saving, and what we should rather focus on is on creating better jobs. For instance, there is no future in coal, there was no future in coal when Trump sold this idiotic idea to those that voted for him.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones ... 7b84872e29
There is a decent chance that we will have a world with self-driving machines in the decade of 2020-2030, what do you think will happen when all of a sudden those truckers lose their jobs?
Of course, politicians will blame each other and try to use it to their advantage. The solution is never to try to preserve those "shitty jobs" but to try to educate your population to do better jobs that are at a much lesser risk of being phased out by technology and/or cheap labor. Our goal should never be to try to outcompete china at who can keep the "robot-human" quasi-slave workforce but to rather see if we can train our workforce to do jobs that add more value but rely less on highly repetitive simple manual tasks.

Dude... This is nonsense. You are not worried about the current president, a guy that has been pretty awful and is quite dangerous to the future of the country yet you seem quite worry not just about Biden, but whoever could come after... How about you focus on this election and leave whoever "female global 100%" might come after for a future discussion? Nah... it has nothing to do with this. It is the Trump-loving philosophy, the cult. At least you have a tiny bit of sanity left to know that you should be embarrassed of your love for Trump :lol: and deny it.
By jimjam
Drlee wrote:Hmm. You can't help making stupid posts can you? You are so out of your league here.

Yes this guy is full of shit. I'll give him the benefit of doubt and assume he is bored. I'm not in your class Dr. but I did the math a few years ago and decided I was a millionaire. Winter in south Florida and Summer on the Maine coast …. both with water views. I could care less about $ at this stage of the game. Peace of mind is my goal. But somehow 658 concluded I was a dirty dirty "liberal" who hung with freaks with purple hair. 658 seems a child like mental dud.

It's freaks like 658's quintessential "conservative" that make me want to puke:
By Julian658
jimjam wrote:Yes this guy is full of shit. I'll give him the benefit of doubt and assume he is bored. I'm not in your class Dr. but I did the math a few years ago and decided I was a millionaire. Winter in south Florida and Summer on the Maine coast …. both with water views. I could care less about $ at this stage of the game. Peace of mind is my goal. But somehow 658 concluded I was a dirty dirty "liberal" who hung with freaks with purple hair. 658 seems a child like mental dud.

It's freaks like 658's quintessential "conservative" that make me want to puke:

As usual, all emotion with insulting remarks. You are retired, thank God for the center. And beware of SJWs like the Doc.
By Drlee
And beware of SJWs like the Doc

That's right. There is no greater threat to racism than a well heeled, educated, conservative, white guy who believes that people should be treated equally under the law. Dangerous indeed.

You on the other hand appear to have a problem dealing with people who do not wear a t-shirt explaining their politics. So you label anyone you don't understand a SJW, woke, lib'ral, etc. How very easy for you. Lazy but easy.
By Julian658
XogGyux wrote:Your words say I don't like you, your actions says let me kiss your genitals. :lol:
We have gone through this many times already.
You say you hate the guy, you say you hate what he does, you say you agree with a bunch of "progressive" shit. But then you find excuses to just about everything he does and finds "defects" on his opposition. Granted, none of the democratic candidates were perfect, in fact no human being is perfect. And I am the first to point out that there were others "less flawed" and certainly with better, fresher ideas. But the comparison doesn't even get close to the flaws of Trump. Let's for the sake of argument say that Biden is indeed Demented as you erroneously suggest... he is running against a guy that is far more unstable... egomaniac, that plenty of actual psychiatrists (specialists in mental health) have put their reputation on the line to warn everyone... a family member with mental health experts that has also come forward with the same, and plenty of disgruntled cabinet/staffers that have leaked, published books, or given interview about how unfit this guy is and how at different points in their tenure they seriously considered the 25th amendment. Its like a fucking black hole calling the kettle black...
Now, the reality is that there is really no evidence of Biden having any sort of dementia. Dementia requires specific criteria that we don't have access to.
The guy is in his mid 70's, so is trump by the way. I do not expect NEITHER of them to be sharp, to not get tired/fatigued easily and/or to have a particularly fluid and polished improvised speech. There is a reason why both of them flunk when they answer the reporter's questions.

As in 2016 this is an election about who is less dangerous. I would be fine with Biden if he did not have signs of early dementia and if he picked a non-radical female. Trump is just an asshole, but in the end I do not believe he will not take the USA to war. I don't know about the Dems.
Trump may be a racist, but I have more issues with the condescending racism of low expectations that the Dems push 24/7. And I cannot forget the damage they have done to black people through slavery, Jim Crow, and condescending racism for the last 60 years. They treat minorities as helpless stray dogs and have convinced black people to embrace the role of the noble victim.

Now you are concerned about the wealth gap?
This is the problem with the US. We are still living in that fantasy of the first half of the 20th century in which an uneducated blue-collar "hard worker" could make enough to buy a house, have a stay-at-home wife and a half dozen beautiful kids and still have enough left over for some self-pampering. Blue-collar by definition means jobs that rely on manual labor and individuals tend to have limited and/or minimal formal education. This means that this jobs are easily replaceable, not only by some Chinese kid half a world away but by a robot as well. We have a culture that has de-emphasized the importance of education, a society that has allowed college tuitions to skyrocket, a goverment that seems quite impotent about doing anything on the matter and an electorate that does not understand the multiple cogwheels of the machine.
Clinton was right, she did not had the audience's ear to hear it or the charisma to gain some ground on this battle, but some jobs simply are not worth saving, and what we should rather focus on is on creating better jobs. For instance, there is no future in coal, there was no future in coal when Trump sold this idiotic idea to those that voted for him.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones ... 7b84872e29
There is a decent chance that we will have a world with self-driving machines in the decade of 2020-2030, what do you think will happen when all of a sudden those truckers lose their jobs?
Of course, politicians will blame each other and try to use it to their advantage. The solution is never to try to preserve those "shitty jobs" but to try to educate your population to do better jobs that are at a much lesser risk of being phased out by technology and/or cheap labor. Our goal should never be to try to outcompete china at who can keep the "robot-human" quasi-slave workforce but to rather see if we can train our workforce to do jobs that add more value but rely less on highly repetitive simple manual tasks.

You are a bit innocent about this subject. There was a time in the 19th century when low IQ and high IQ men would work the fields as laborers and they were both dirt poor. Today the world belongs to those with high intelligence. The less intelligent do not have the skills to get a good job in this era. Progress has created the wealth gap. The gap was made worse by exporting manufacturing jobs overseas and importing cheap labor. This was done by both parties with the blessing of the big corporations. Sadly the Dems benefit from this as they can capture the vote of the disenfranchised by preaching victimhood. Trump may be an SOB but at least he gives hope to the blue collar types. The Dems don't give a shit, they just want the votes. Sure, some have an SJW mindset, but it is always condescending to the poor and minorities.

There solid points on the left such as National Health Care and free public universities. But, understand that sending non-college material people to college fixes nothing. All it does it create people that major in lesbian dance, Africana history, etc. Lastly, the Reps are much more pro-capitalism than the Dems and to me that is a deal breaker. Capitalism has given us the greatest prosperity in world history.

I do not care if a dude that thinks he is a woman wants to use the ladies room. I could care less if women want to abort their babies. All we need is freedom to be capitalists and freedom to say what we want to say without having to walk on eggshells around the PC police.
By Julian658
Drlee wrote:That's right. There is no greater threat to racism than a well heeled, educated, conservative, white guy who believes that people should be treated equally under the law. Dangerous indeed.

You on the other hand appear to have a problem dealing with people who do not wear a t-shirt explaining their politics. So you label anyone you don't understand a SJW, woke, lib'ral, etc. How very easy for you. Lazy but easy.

If it walks and sounds like a duck, it must be a duck.
By XogGyux
Julian658 wrote:As in 2016 this is an election about who is less dangerous. I would be fine with Biden if he did not have signs of early dementia and if he picked a non-radical female. Trump is just an asshole, but in the end I do not believe he will not take the USA to war. I don't know about the Dems.
Trump may be a racist, but I have more issues with the condescending racism of low expectations that the Dems push 24/7. And I cannot forget the damage they have done to black people through slavery, Jim Crow, and condescending racism for the last 60 years. They treat minorities as helpless stray dogs and have convinced black people to embrace the role of the noble victim.

How convenient. You have created a deluded world where your conclusions shape your perceptions. The fact is, just like every other republican out there that voted for Trump in 2016 rationalized the same thing... Clinton had a neurodegenerative disease, extreme/socialist left, corruption, blah blah blah. And used all those excuses to rally against the most corrupt and incompetent president that we have ever seen. Just 4 years and look at the tangible damage that he has already made, and usually we find damage (and in some cases great things) that presidents have done long after their terms expire. Assuming he leaves, we won't finish uncovering the damage for decades.

You are a bit innocent about this subject. There was a time in the 19th century when low IQ and high IQ men would work the fields as laborers and they were both dirt poor. Today the world belongs to those with high intelligence. The less intelligent do not have the skills to get a good job in this era. Progress has created the wealth gap. The gap was made worse by exporting manufacturing jobs overseas and importing cheap labor. This was done by both parties with the blessing of the big corporations. Sadly the Dems benefit from this as they can capture the vote of the disenfranchised by preaching victimhood. Trump may be an SOB but at least he gives hope to the blue collar types. The Dems don't give a shit, they just want the votes. Sure, some have an SJW mindset, but it is always condescending to the poor and minorities.

There solid points on the left such as National Health Care and free public universities. But, understand that sending non-college material people to college fixes nothing. All it does it create people that major in lesbian dance, Africana history, etc. Lastly, the Reps are much more pro-capitalism than the Dems and to me that is a deal breaker. Capitalism has given us the greatest prosperity in world history.

I do not care if a dude that thinks he is a woman wants to use the ladies room. I could care less if women want to abort their babies. All we need is freedom to be capitalists and freedom to say what we want to say without having to walk on eggshells around the PC police.

You are confusing education with intelligence. They are not the same. IQ wise, the vast majority of people are perfectly capable of obtaining advanced education and/or skills. Not everything has to be college, but the only way that you can maximize your chances of a job that last you a long time is to get something that is not easily replaceable. If all you do in your job could be automated, you will lose your job at some point. Robots can work 24/7, dont get sick, don't cost employers shiton of payroll tax/benefits/healthcare, don't go on strike, might have advantages in taxation (depreciation) and are getting cheaper and cheaper. It is not a matter of if, but rather when. Going against this kind of progress would be the equivalent to go against cars because it would harm the jobs of thousands of horse breeders, veterinarians, people that grow/transport/sell horse food, blacksmiths that make horseshoes, etc.
By Drlee
There was a time in the 19th century when low IQ and high IQ men would work the fields as laborers and they were both dirt poor. Today the world belongs to those with high intelligence. The less intelligent do not have the skills to get a good job in this era.

X is correct. You are mistaking the two. High IQ is an advantage of capability but does not say much about ambition and dedication. Most people are smart enough to get an advanced education.

I commend to you this article and the guy's book.

https://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-why-i-got-a-phd-in-political-philosophy-and-then-became-a-motorcycle-mechanic-2009-5?r=US&IR=T

Try working on your dissertation and having one of your most trusted advisors say, "put in a lot more big words".
By blackjack21
XogGyux wrote:If all you do in your job could be automated, you will lose your job at some point. Robots can work 24/7, dont get sick, don't cost employers shiton of payroll tax/benefits/healthcare, don't go on strike, might have advantages in taxation (depreciation) and are getting cheaper and cheaper. It is not a matter of if, but rather when. Going against this kind of progress would be the equivalent to go against cars because it would harm the jobs of thousands of horse breeders, veterinarians, people that grow/transport/sell horse food, blacksmiths that make horseshoes, etc.

A lot of what is done in medicine doesn't really need a medical doctor either. As sensors and expert systems improve and get cheaper, the entire medical system could be one of the areas ripe for dramatic restructuring. We didn't get to electronic medical records until the last decade, but that will accelerate things quite a bit as improvements are made.

Drlee wrote:High IQ is an advantage of capability but does not say much about ambition and dedication. Most people are smart enough to get an advanced education.

Yes, but high IQ has been shown to be one of the main factors in income distribution. Ambition and dedication are also important, and explain why there are also some pretty dumb millionaires out there. However, you don't have many people who are stupid, lazy and unambitious doing well for themselves unless they have a some kind of a government job or protected job, like a postal worker or a toll taker or something. As I noted before, this is one of those things that coronavirus is exposing. Namely, you don't need toll takers on the bridges anymore. They can just snap a picture of your license plate and put it on your car registration bill.
By Drlee
Yes, but high IQ has been shown to be one of the main factors in income distribution.

True. Smart people generally do better. Mine was just a comment about advanced degrees.

However, you don't have many people who are stupid, lazy and unambitious doing well for themselves unless they have a some kind of a government job or protected job, like a postal worker or a toll taker or something.

This is true. Government jobs are excellent for those who lack ambition and want a good and steady paycheck.

As I noted before, this is one of those things that coronavirus is exposing. Namely, you don't need toll takers on the bridges anymore. They can just snap a picture of your license plate and put it on your car registration bill.

Also true. I doubt that most people realize quite yet that a great many of the pre-Corona virus jobs will likely never come back. Now that Trump wants to gut social security and cut the unemployment that is (barely) keeping millions afloat we are in for hard times indeed. The next to go is the real estate market as it tries to recover from the coming evictions. Putin has played this brilliantly. He is single handed taken down the American system. Nothing short of brilliant. Trump will take this election by force if necessary. He has nothing to lose as he will go to jail if he doesn't succeed. The republicans are so frightened of him that they will do nothing to prevent what will be a coup. This will be the last election in which any meaningful voting will occur.
By Julian658
XogGyux wrote:How convenient. You have created a deluded world where your conclusions shape your perceptions. The fact is, just like every other republican out there that voted for Trump in 2016 rationalized the same thing... Clinton had a neurodegenerative disease, extreme/socialist left, corruption, blah blah blah. And used all those excuses to rally against the most corrupt and incompetent president that we have ever seen. Just 4 years and look at the tangible damage that he has already made, and usually we find damage (and in some cases great things) that presidents have done long after their terms expire. Assuming he leaves, we won't finish uncovering the damage for decades.

I am well aware of confirmation bias. Most humans make a decision and only pay attention to whatever data confirms that viewpoint. Everyone here suffers from confirmation bias including you and me. I am close to the center and try not to be affected by confirmation bias. BTW, the worst ones are the extreme left wing types as they often refuse to have a dialog or at best they have arguments based on insulting remarks or the repetition of silly sound bytes or worm out talking points. These people are also prone to use emotion for their reasoning which is quite human.

2020 looks a lot like 2016 when HRC was hated by many. My wife who is left of center could not stand HRC's pandering and hypocrisy. I will say Biden is more likeable, but we have to see how he behaves in the next three months. Unfortunately every time he opens his mouth I see someone that is unwell. I am certain I am biased, but his speech pattern and the unfiltered mood causes concern. He may also have frontal lobe issues or he is just an old man that is sounding older than Sanders or Trump.

You are confusing education with intelligence. They are not the same. IQ wise, the vast majority of people are perfectly capable of obtaining advanced education and/or skills.

Roughly 70% of the population is average with IQ between 85 and 115. Those with IQ of 115 and above do just fine assuming they have some motivation and ambition. Anyone one over 115 can aspire to have a decent profesion. The exceptions would be PhD on math and physics, some engineers, and computer science which may require an IQ greater than 130.
If you look at the graph above the picture is not pretty. While 15% has an IQ greater than 115 there is another 15% with an IQ less than 85. A very low IQ can cause poverty and it is no surprise that the poverty rate in the USA is around 12%. Assuming a population of 340 million you are looking at roughly a bit more than 51 million people. As we move forward into a high tech future there will be no jobs for this segment of the population.

BTW, medicine is ripe for automation. An IBM Doctor Watson would have the entire medical literature of the world immediately available to make decisions based on sound data. There is software that can read CT scans by simply feeding the system a large database of normal and abnormal patterns (Computer Aided Detected (CAD) in radiology) . The computer can continue to view films and pictures indefinitely, as it does not get tired like humans do. We have robotic surgery operated by the surgeon, but how long before software runs the robot?

Not everything has to be college, but the only way that you can maximize your chances of a job that last you a long time is to get something that is not easily replaceable. If all you do in your job could be automated, you will lose your job at some point. Robots can work 24/7, dont get sick, don't cost employers shiton of payroll tax/benefits/healthcare, don't go on strike, might have advantages in taxation (depreciation) and are getting cheaper and cheaper. It is not a matter of if, but rather when. Going against this kind of progress would be the equivalent to go against cars because it would harm the jobs of thousands of horse breeders, veterinarians, people that grow/transport/sell horse food, blacksmiths that make horseshoes, etc.

That is why the culmination of capitalism has to be socialism-------otherwise, we have revolution. At some point capitalists will have what redundant profit and excess wealth. The solution is to stop accumulating redundant wealth and provide for those that cannot cope in a high tech world. We see some hints of this in people like Bill Gates who plans to give away 95% of his wealth. The problem is that when that 15% of the population gets something for doing nothing we may end up with a dystopia. Humans with no purpose are prone to nihilism.
By Istanbuller
I support Donald Trump as someone from Turkey. I would like to see him remaining in power. Donald Trump and Republicans are not fan of Turkey either but they are friendlier and more respectuful to NATO ties.

Obama era foreign policies led to destructive things to happen US allies like Turkey in Mideast region. Obama policies and diplomats decided to support elements which are threats to Turkey's national security. US can repeat same things if Biden is elected president.

This will leave no option for Turkey but destroying US soldiers and US led factions in Northern Syria. For this reason, we bought Russian made s-400 systems. It will prevent US attacks toward Turkey.

Hopefully Donald Trump will be elected president and peace will remain.
By Beren
Real Clear Politics wrote:WASHINGTON (AP) — Joe Biden’s Democratic presidential campaign is reserving $280 million in digital and television ads through the fall, nearly twice the amount President Donald Trump’s team has reserved.

The Biden campaign announced in a Wednesday memo it’s reserving $220 million in television airtime and $60 million in digital ads, in contrast to the $147 million the Trump campaign has reserved, according to a review of Kantar/CMAG data by The Associated Press. Both campaigns can add to or subtract from their reservations at any time.

Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, is reserving airtime in 15 states, which includes a number of traditional swing states — Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Florida — as well as a number of historically Republican states, including Arizona, Georgia and Texas, and a few traditional swing states that seemed to be moving away from Democrats in recent years, such as Ohio and Iowa. His campaign says a “significant portion” of the reservation will be minute-long ads.

It’s part of an effort to solidify what Biden aides say are the multiple paths to an Electoral College victory open to Biden heading into November.

Oops again.

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]

Based on what? On simple economics. and in t[…]