RAND study uncovers massive income shift to the top 1% - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Oxymoron wrote:Essential as a class not as individuals, not in the same way or level as a Firefighter, doctor, manager.

Exactly. The class is necessary.

—————-

Finfinder wrote:You first need someone to take risk. Those workers take zero risk.

Actually, these essential working class workers are all risking being infected with Coronavirus, and this is so that you can keep eating. Say “thank you!” the next time you see one.
Finfinder wrote:You first need someone to take risk. Those workers take zero risk.

Nothing is risk free. Workers always carry the risk of getting hurt and not being able to work, or working in an industry that is in decline, etc. etc. Workers can take the risk of quitting and getting training/education to then not be able to find a new job. etc. etc.

To say there is no risk is pretty myopic. To say workers take zero risk is to say that everyone has a guarantee to a job. Which is just not true.
Rancid wrote:Nothing is risk free. Workers always carry the risk of getting hurt and not being able to work, or working in an industry that is in decline, etc. etc. Workers can take the risk of quitting and getting training/education to then not be able to find a new job. etc. etc.

To say there is no risk is pretty myopic. To say workers take zero risk is to say that everyone has a guarantee to a job. Which is just not true.

Its not myopic is factually true and a fundemental principle of the economics.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Actually, these essential working class workers are all risking being infected with Coronavirus, and this is so that you can keep eating. Say “thank you!” the next time you see one.

They are deciding to take a risk for a reward. They would never have that opportunity unless someone else takes a larger risk. They don't have to work.

Actually you can thank me because I am one of the people who take personal risk to put cheap products in the supply line that can be consumed. Honestly show me where supermarket workers are affected with Caronavirus at a higher rates that the average person. I'm not hearing that.
Finfinder wrote:They are deciding to take a risk

Yes and no.

They have no choice but to earn money. They were not born rich.

They probably did not choose to have few marketable skill sets.

So they “chose” to work a risky and low paying job instead of, for example, sex work or dealing drugs.

But the important part is that you agree that you were wrong when you said they take no risk.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes and no.

They have no choice but to earn money. They were not born rich.

They probably did not choose to have few marketable skill sets.

So they “chose” to work a risky and low paying job instead of, for example, sex work or dealing drugs.

But the important part is that you agree that you were wrong when you said they take no risk.

I agree that they choose to take a risk. They can always take the Covid relief (which is probably more money) or find what they deem as a safer occupation. It's perplexing why the liberals are blocking additional Covid funds for workers.

Rancid wrote:I can see why you are a Trump voter.

Is that because I invoke unemotional facts to a discussion?. I'll take that.
Finfinder wrote:I agree that they choose to take a risk. They can always take the Covid relief (which is probably more money) or find what they deem as a safer occupation. It's perplexing why the liberals are blocking additional Covid funds for workers.

Your ideas about liberals are irrelevant.

And once again, the choice is irrelevant. You argued that workers risked nothing and now you agree you were incorrect.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Your ideas about liberals are irrelevant.

And once again, the choice is irrelevant. You argued that workers risked nothing and now you agree you were incorrect.

Not true and your arguments are irrelevant and out of context because they are based on emotion. You assume risk (in general) when you wake up in the morning. These people make a calculated choice to work for a reward, they are not forced to work under Covid conditions.
Last edited by Finfinder on 18 Sep 2020 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Finfinder wrote:I agree that they choose to take a risk. They can always take the Covid relief (which is probably more money) or find what they deem as a safer occupation. It's perplexing why the liberals are blocking additional Covid funds for workers.

Are you talking about the supplemental unemployment insurance money? That ran out at the end of July. This isn't a choice for workers anymore.

My understanding is that poltiicans like Bernie Sanders proposed more COVID relief and that the Republicans were the ones blocking. Is that incorrect?

Finfinder wrote:Not true and your arguments are irrelevant because they are based on emotion. You assume risk (in general) when you wake up in the morning. These people make a calculated choice to work for a reward, they are not forced to work.

I assume you come from a wealthy background since you have this attitude. Workers don't really have a choice. If the "choice" is between going hungry and not having a home and working a job to get by, then it doesn't really make sense to frame it as you have here.
KurtFF8 wrote:Are you talking about the supplemental unemployment insurance money? That ran out at the end of July. This isn't a choice for workers anymore.

My understanding is that poltiicans like Bernie Sanders proposed more COVID relief and that the Republicans were the ones blocking. Is that incorrect?

I assume you come from a wealthy background since you have this attitude. Workers don't really have a choice. If the "choice" is between going hungry and not having a home and working a job to get by, then it doesn't really make sense to frame it as you have here.

No one is forced to work under Covid conditions there are many federal, state, and local assistance programs. It's irrelevant weather they are appreciated or considered hero's. Did you not appreciate workers prior to this pandemic? You guys keep moving the goal posts on this discussion.

Bernie Sanders is in the Senate the congress is run by the Democrats. The last Senate bill was blocked by Democrats.
Finfinder wrote:Not true and your arguments are irrelevant and out of context because they are based on emotion. You assume risk (in general) when you wake up in the morning. These people make a calculated choice to work for a reward, they are not forced to work under Covid conditions.

It is a fact that you claimed workers take no risks.

It is a fact that workers risk, among other things, being infected with Coronavirus.

The second fact disproves your claim.

And the fact that people need money (in order to live in our capitalist society) means that people cannot choose not to work.
Finfinder wrote:
I agree that they choose to take a risk. They can always take the Covid relief (which is probably more money) or find what they deem as a safer occupation. It's perplexing why the liberals are blocking additional Covid funds for workers.

Great load of shit from you as usual. The conservative Democrat majority in the house proposed far more long ago. But you have bought (as usual) the republican lie that because they do not get their way, the consequences the IMPOSE on all of us are the fault of democrats.

I have yet to meet a smart Trump supporter. There is not a single one posting on this site. But they are all gullible.
Finfinder wrote:No one is forced to work under Covid conditions there are many federal, state, and local assistance programs. It's irrelevant weather they are appreciated or considered hero's. Did you not appreciate workers prior to this pandemic? You guys keep moving the goal posts on this discussion.

Which assistance programs are you talking about exactly? And your question about appriciating workers prior to the pandemic is a bit bizarre. Again, it shows you don't know what Communism is and don't understand the politics of Communists.

Bernie Sanders is in the Senate the congress is run by the Democrats. The last Senate bill was blocked by Democrats.

The Senate is a part of Congress. You're confusing the term "congress" with "House of Representatives" here.

You also failed to actually answer the question. What did the Democrats propose in terms of unemployment insurance relief? What did Bernie Sanders propose in terms of unemployment insurance relief? Again, be specific here.
KurtFF8 wrote:Which assistance programs are you talking about exactly? And your question about appriciating workers prior to the pandemic is a bit bizarre. Again, it shows you don't know what Communism is and don't understand the politics of Communists.

The Senate is a part of Congress. You're confusing the term "congress" with "House of Representatives" here.

You also failed to actually answer the question. What did the Democrats propose in terms of unemployment insurance relief? What did Bernie Sanders propose in terms of unemployment insurance relief? Again, be specific here.

I don’t really Care about communism we’re not communist country.

Well technically you’re correct however the House of Representatives is often referred to as Congress.

Unemployment “insurance“ what are you talking about.. You are all over the place.

Here in Florida there’s many different options funded by federal state and local dollars for food mortgage and utility relief. Mortgage payments have been suspended and utility payments have been suspended..

You injected Bernie Sanders you tell me .
Rancid wrote:Very true. It's a myth that professional classes are safe from automation. Another reason why even the profession class should consider themselves a part of the working class, and should sympathize with the working class.

The professional class has certainly increased its share of the pie, but nowhere near the level of the (upper) managerial class.

Thing is, I don't believe for a second that the demand for managers has increased greatly in the past decades and cannot be met because the skill-ceiling is so high.
Rugoz wrote:
The professional class has certainly increased its share of the pie, but nowhere near the level of the (upper) managerial class.

Thing is, I don't believe for a second that the demand for managers has increased greatly in the past decades and cannot be met because the skill-ceiling is so high.

I agree, still one key thing is that the professional class still has to actually work for their money. They still have to apply their skills to get paid. Hell, even Doctors were complaining when they were forced to shut down elective surgeries because they couldn't work and get paid.

For this reason, I still think professionals should align themselves with the working class. They are still expendable. Professions like me, still go through layoffs (I've been through tons of lay off cycles over the last 10 years), the company's we work for do not care about us. They will drop us in a minute.

Trump and Biden have big differences on some issue[…]

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]