- 21 Sep 2020 06:13
You know Doug, I do not disagree with these scenarios. Let me tell you something that a fellow Republican and I hashed out the other day.
She is a very intelligent, well to do, educated woman. When she talks I listen. She asked me a question. "If you were running the Republican Party at this moment in time would you want to win the election?" Intriguing question. I listened to her idea and came up with this.
The best outcome for the party in general is for Trump to lose and to retain the Senate by a small majority. Here is why. Most people I speak with, and some 70 years of personal experience tells me that we are overdue for an economic correction. A very big one. Add to that the Covid crisis which is FAR from being over or even getting much better and there are tough times ahead. The Fed is out of options and has even thrown in the towel and said they would have to accept higher inflation. All of this adds up to this question. "Does the party want blame for the coming crash or do they want the Democrats to take the blame? Obviously the later. Consider:
1. If Biden wins and the Republicans keep the senate, Biden (and by extension the Democrats) take the blame for what could actually be a deep depression.
2. The majority in the Senate allows the Republicans to protect the tax and business advantages they have won for our real base....the wealthy.
3. They are protected by a solid conservative, capitalist majority in the Supreme Court.
4. They will consolidate their position as the "white" party and whites will be in the majority (and owning most of the big money) for a few decades yet.
5. They give up nothing power wise. Once the crash hits, they will be in a position to dictate terms during any recovery.
6. They get at least four years to wash themselves of Donald Trump. Now that he has gotten them their tax cut, stuffed the court and established the party's white nationalist bona fides, he is simply no longer a necessary irritant.
7. Trump was valuable in 2016 and 2017. He has been a fading asset since them. He has offended Christians, alienated the rest of the world and lost the house in a big way. If he gets four more years, with a Democratic Party controlled House tying his fiscal hands and exposing more and more of his chicanery and double dealing the Republican party may well cease to be a power for decades if not forever. If the Republicans lose all three in 2024 it is Katy bar the door.
The party may have missed the bus by not throwing him under the bus this time. But. A smart Republican with a long view, like a young congressman or a middle aged senator from a secure district/state, may just be secretly rooting for Biden. Or at least they ought to be. If they lose all three, especially right after forcing a SCOTUS choice their whole carefully constructed house of cards comes tumbling down. They will get national health care, voter rights, gerrymandering legislation and maybe even Puerto Rican and DC statehood which would presumably add 4 secure senate and house seats to the Democratic Party faithful.
You say you are not going to vote for Trump. I will tell you that not voting for Trump is doing the Republican Party and conservatism in general a thoughtful favor.
To believe in God is impossible not to believe in Him is absurd.
God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh.