President Donald Trump as symbol. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

A short while back, I posted an OP noting that President of the United States of America Donald Trump is perhaps best seen as a symbol. I believe this is especially true for his followers -- his voting base. I offer the following in evidence.

The New York Times has recently released information allegedly derived from President Trump's tax returns. That information, and its sharp contrast with the image he has presented to the American public, should result in a real change in our approval/disapproval of him. Today's FiveThirtyEight combination of polls shows a one tenth of one percent drop in approval compared to yesterday's value. One tenth of one percent!

His voting base sets aside his personality flaws and his statements as of no consequence. He represents their displeasure with our government and our society, particularly the direction in which the country is heading. They wish a return to the good old days, even though their vision of just what that means differs from reality. President Trump is the image they wave from their figurative flagpoles.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.
His symbol actually goes far beyond American borders.

Anti-CCP Chinese actually see him a saviour of democratic-loving foreigners, despite himself acting with little respect of democracy if at all. I am one of those people, but I have to make two things clear:

1. Trump is no champion of democracy and I will not lionize him like some of my contemporaries or even some in my family do.
2. I only "trust" more in Trump because I think it takes a madman to stop another. In my opinion, with the other parts of the world (China, Russia, Turkey, or even India) becoming more and more oppressive, war is inevitable, and if I were right, I rather had it happen sooner than later. More reasonable figures like Obama or Biden only made things one-sided in favour of bad guys.
Patrickov wrote:His symbol actually goes far beyond American borders.

Anti-CCP Chinese actually see him a saviour of democratic-loving foreigners, despite himself acting with little respect of democracy if at all. I am one of those people, but I have to make two things clear:

1. Trump is no champion of democracy and I will not lionize him like some of my contemporaries or even some in my family do.
2. I only "trust" more in Trump because I think it takes a madman to stop another. In my opinion, with the other parts of the world (China, Russia, Turkey, or even India) becoming more and more oppressive, war is inevitable, and if I were right, I rather had it happen sooner than later. More reasonable figures like Obama or Biden only made things one-sided in favour of bad guys.

Hi! Thanks for the post.

President of the United States of America Donald Trump does, at present, manage to do some things such as Supreme Court nominations which come right out of the 'conservative' playbook. They represent a minority in the United States but do have loud voices. Their appeals are often made to the darker side of our natures, centering on a sometimes purposely fuzzily-defined 'them'.

I'm not sure that war is the answer to our inter-national problems, though. We've been at it for too many years to accept it as a final answer.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.
Torus34 wrote:I'm not sure that war is the answer to our inter-national problems, though. We've been at it for too many years to accept it as a final answer.

Admittedly, when I said "war is inevitable" in a sense that "it might be an answer", the said answer is to the other countries, not to the United States, whose problems (domestic or not) have to be dealt with through other means.

The United States only happens to be the one who has the ability to deliver what, as I see, nobody else can.
Patrickov wrote:
Admittedly, when I said "war is inevitable" in a sense that "it might be an answer", the said answer is to the other countries, not to the United States, whose problems (domestic or not) have to be dealt with through other means.

The United States only happens to be the one who has the ability to deliver what, as I see, nobody else can.

Hi!

Thank you for the clarification.

Based upon this morning's news [Friday, 10/2/2020], the US of A is going to be concerned with itself as opposed to the wider world outside its borders for the next couple of months.

...Imagine the Russians telling the US it needs t[…]

Supposedly Iran sent information on their attack t[…]

LOL When protesters are arrested, it is cops be[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

“They started it” is an excuse used by schoolchild[…]