Election 2020 - Page 220 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Doug64
Speaking of endorsements, here’s a kinds-sorta one:

BET's Robert Johnson says he prefers 'the devil I know,' doesn't know what Biden will do
Black Entertainment Television founder Robert Johnson says he would rather have “the devil I know” in the White House, and he still doesn’t know Joseph R. Biden’s plan for the economy.

Mr. Johnson, founder and chairman of the RLJ Cos., said after Tuesday’s presidential debate that he was “not endorsing anybody,” but that he had yet to hear what the Democratic presidential nominee plans to do on issues such as economic growth, development, tax policy, stimulus and regulations.

“Where I come out as a businessman, I will take the devil I know over the devil I don’t know any time of the week,” Mr. Johnson told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” in a Wednesday interview, adding, “I absolutely do not know what Vice President Biden will do.”

He called the debate moderated by Fox News anchor Chris Wallace “a waste of an hour and a half,” saying he had hoped Mr. Biden would “talk about specific policies, particularly as it impacts Black Americans.”

“We vote consistently, 90-plus percent, for the Democrats, but if we don’t get clear and concise direction as to what the benefit of changing horses at this time is — again, I’m speaking as a businessperson,” Mr. Johnson said. “I would rather know who I’m going to deal with in the White House.”

When it comes to Mr. Biden, “I haven’t heard anything coherent out of what he said he will do,” Mr. Johnson said.

“I want to know what regulatory decisions they’re going to make, what fiscal policy decisions, what monetary policy decisions they’re going to make, than to be taking a chance, particularly in the turbulence of a pandemic,” he said.

Mr. Johnson, 74, supported Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential race, but in July 2019, he said he gave President Trump “a lot of credit for moving the economy in a positive direction.”
By Beren
My favourite movie featuring The Rock (and directed by Michael Bay):

It's all about (dumb) Americans chasing the American dream. :lol:
By Doug64
@late, you mean Blacks’ economic interests don’t always line up with the policies of the Democratic Party? And here I thought that if Blacks didn’t vote Democrat “then you ain’t Black.”
By Pants-of-dog
For black people in the US, the choice seems to be between one group that thinks there is no racism and will do nothing at all, and the other group that says racism is a problem but does nothing significant about the racism.
By annatar1914
Pants-of-dog wrote:For black people in the US, the choice seems to be between one group that thinks there is no racism and will do nothing at all, and the other group that says racism is a problem but does nothing significant about the racism.

Blacks are like every other human being, with moral agency, consciences, a rational mind and being made in the image and likeness of almighty God. There are always choices other than your binary one. Blacks could form their own political party, they could immigrate, form their own ethno-state, etc... Many other choices besides apathy, going along with the same useless political party generation after generation, and self-destructive (and destructive in general ) nihilism.
By colliric
Beren wrote:My favourite movie featuring The Rock (and directed by Michael Bay):

It's all about (dumb) Americans chasing the American dream. :lol:

I was a fan of the Rock before his "movie career"....

Greatest WWF/E wrestler ever.
By Beren
colliric wrote:I was a fan of the Rock before his "movie career"....

Greatest WWF/E wrestler ever.

Well, he's got a real movie career. :lol:

I know he was a wrestler but I don't watch wrestling.

However, unlike Kamala Harris I'm not a fan of Fast & Furious, maybe because it's not really about The Rock. It's rather about Vin Diesel, that's why it sucks so much because he always sucks so much somehow. :lol:
By Doug64
Of course, even with the furor over the debate, the campaigns move on. And while Biden has seen a slight uptick in the polls since the debate (though not yet up to where he was September 10th, much less last year at this time), there are other signs that ought to have Democrats a little worried. For one, there's the way the Republicans have been winning the voter registration battle in key states, by almost 2-1 in Florida (even in Miami-Dade County), over 2-1 in Pennsylvania and North Carolina (the the total numbers are a bit low for both campaigns), and by ~1,500 in Arizona between the March and August primaries.
By colliric
Beren wrote:It's rather about Vin Diesel, that's why it sucks so much because he always sucks so much somehow. :lol:

Kinda ashamed to admit he made me shed a tear or two in his "blood all over it" death scene in Saving Private Ryan, and his death scene in The Iron Giant, and his death scene in Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Dang.

Also I think we can't rule out a delayed election yet, Trump and Melania tested positive to Covid-19.... Cue Democrats and Biden nuts celebrating his misfortune like it's Christmas.

(Then Biden will probably get it too anyway).
By Patrickov
colliric wrote:Also I think we can't rule out a delayed election yet, Trump and Melania tested positive to Covid-19.... Cue Democrats and Biden nuts celebrating his misfortune like it's Christmas.

(Then Biden will probably get it too anyway).

I actually am amazed by how some Chinese / Hongkongers / Taiwanese are so obsessive in this presidential race (I personally shared an article or two as some sort of entertainment service)

As I said in another thread, Trump is no champion of democracy himself, and it is possible that American voters kick him out because many of them see Trump just as how we see Xi Jinping, and I do find Trump not too different from Carrie Lam sometimes.

Those who rely on Trump to frustrate or even move against the CCP should really be prepared for a Biden presidency, no matter how unlikely it is now.
By Patrickov
annatar1914 wrote:Blacks are like every other human being, with moral agency, consciences, a rational mind and being made in the image and likeness of almighty God.

I think I can say the problem in the United States is that, too many influential people do not think like this, and too many people in general subconsciously do not think like this.
By Wulfschilde
There's time for Trump to come back from this as a "coronavirus survivor" which might be a powerful message. Meanwhile, the majority of the Twitterati are too emotionally investing in trying to hex Trump to death to think two weeks ahead, as usual. :p
By Julian658
Pants-of-dog wrote:For black people in the US, the choice seems to be between one group that thinks there is no racism and will do nothing at all, and the other group that says racism is a problem but does nothing significant about the racism.

The infantilization of black people needs to stop. This philosophy that blacks are waiting for whites to solve the issue of racism is a road no nowhere. It assumes blacks are somehow different than other non-European groups who deal with racism in a totally different manner. This philosophy assumes blacks cannot triumph in the face of adversity and hence is up to whites to fix that. That is condescending racism of low expectations.
By Julian658
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Julian658

Why do you call people racist when you have no argument?

Because some on the left are as racist as Trump. They are just unaware! Condescending racism of low expectations is even worse than overt racism. :hmm:
By Pants-of-dog
@Julian658

Okay. How was my comment racist?

It does not suggest that blacks are powerless or that they are looking for solutions from white people. Instead, it seems like black people need to look elsewhere for solutions. And the two patties are both the parties of white people, insofar as they do not appear to offer concrete or significant solutions to the problems that black people seem to face in the USA.
By Julian658
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Julian658

Okay. How was my comment racist?

It does not suggest that blacks are powerless or that they are looking for solutions from white people. Instead, it seems like black people need to look elsewhere for solutions. And the two patties are both the parties of white people, insofar as they do not appear to offer concrete or significant solutions to the problems that black people seem to face in the USA.

Your post implies that blacks are at the mercy of whites doing something about racism. That view of black America is awful and as I said it treats blacks as helpless infants that need a mom. That is condescending racism of low expectations. The idea that the fate of blacks is in the hands of white people in the year 2020 is profoundly racist.
By Pants-of-dog
Julian658 wrote:[/b]
Your post implies that blacks are at the mercy of whites doing something about racism.

Not quite. The implied lack of choice is between the two different political parties. It would only be possible to infer that blacks have no choices at all (except asking for white people to solve it) if you completely ignored the actual text about the two political parties.

You seem to have done that.

Do you agree or disagree that the Republicans and the Democrats do not offer any significant and concrete changes that would address the problems facing black people in the US today?

That view of black America is awful and as I said it treats blacks as helpless infants that need a mom. That is condescending racism of low expectations. The idea that the fate of blacks is in the hands of white people in the year 2020 is profoundly racist.

Again, calling people “racist” is not an argument.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I never said it was our brightest hour Rich. You […]

A long war with a lot of mistakes. Listen to thi[…]

Hitler lost WW2 because he had no oil... except R[…]