Undocumented Aliens and Crime - Page 28 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
^^

I am not even going to justify that unsubstantiated nonsense with an answer.
Drlee wrote:Invade and overrun the cartels?

Has invading a country ever led to more stability and less refugees? I literally cannot think of a worse way of addressing the root causes of migration. And I say this not because of this answer offends me on so many levels, which it honestly does, but because it would actually lead to more migration. War is probably the single greatest cause of large scale spikes in refugee movement.

But yes, the violence caused by the cartels in the Caribbean, Central America and South America is a leading cause of migration. And so if you can stop it, you will greatly reduce migration.

Place liberal and freely elected governments in these countries?

Like a lot of US foreign policy in Latin America, this looks like it means well but it historically causes more problems than it solves. Pinochet was a liberal (economically, anyway) placed in power because his predecessor was viewed as illiberal.

But again, this does address another cause of migration: political instability. And while I know you disagree, I think the USA can do a lot to decrease political instability in Latin America by simply reducing its involvement in the region.

It is incorrect to blame the US drug market for all of the troubles of these countries. Many have no cartels at all.

I completely agree that the drug cartel issue is just one facet of the migration “problem”.

No POD, this problem has to be solved here. That is unless you want to embrace colonialism or....

Yes, if the US could solve this “problem” by focusing on internal changes, that would be best.

And as I said, I understand why the powers that be do not want to make those changes. Because they would lose a lot of money and power.
@Pants-of-dog

As long as we understand that you offer no concrete solutions for the US then we can move on.

Yes, if the US could solve this “problem” by focusing on internal changes, that would be best.

What would those be? You see POD, you and I are actually on the same side. I do not believe that illegal immigration is as large a problem as we are told to believe it is. I would grant broad amnesty to those who are already here. If they are not criminals and are gainfully employed I would do what Reagan did and grant them residency. I would also offer a path to citizenship even though, as a republican, I know few would vote for us due to the recent racist turn in the party. I would give them a path to citizenship just as I would any other immigrant. Why single them out as permanent second class Americans.

And as I said, I understand why the powers that be do not want to make those changes. Because they would lose a lot of money and power.

Yes. Because as legal residents they would have to be paid and respected.

Then after amnesty we could tear down that monumentally stupid wall and strictly enforce workplace status checks and prosecute employers who hire illegals. Problem solved.

Asylum seekers are a completely different problem for another thread. They are not illegal aliens anyway.
Drlee wrote:@Pants-of-dog

As long as we understand that you offer no concrete solutions for the US then we can move on.

I have them. I just think that you guys will not like it.

For example, legalising cocaine would help a lot, but I think the US conservatives are not ready for it.

What would those be?

End the war on drugs.

Stop meddling in latin American politics.

Enact a fair trade (instead of free trade) deal for the Americas.

Sponsor green energy initiatives in the global south, while cutting GHG emissions drastically.

But again, these proposals would be drastically unpopular.

Yes. Because as legal residents they would have to be paid and respected.

Then after amnesty we could tear down that monumentally stupid wall and strictly enforce workplace status checks and prosecute employers who hire illegals. Problem solved.

Asylum seekers are a completely different problem for another thread. They are not illegal aliens anyway.

And then what would happen with the next few thousand migrants? Wo7ld you do the same?

The 70% figure is based on another study (Ngongha[…]

Religion & spirituality

Where'd you get the idea human survival depends[…]

What is God?

I’m trying to determine the contours of what God […]

Today I heard Whitney Webb say that Iran is a demo[…]