A difficult balancing act. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Torus34
There are three components of our federal government that we can affect directly through our votes; the Presidency, the House of Representatives and the Senate. Our present degree of polarization has resulted in a situation in which no major legislation can be enacted unless all three segments of the government are under the control of the same political party. Even then, due to procedural manipulations, it can prove to be a heavy lift.

Meanwhile, we can see the dangers of single party control quite clearly. The gloves have more or less been tossed aside and it's now a bare knuckles scrap for total supremacy between the two major parties. That battle, involving ideologies often enacted in the extreme, can be very damaging to our society.

Should one party win total control of those three functions this election, I'll have no other choice to defend this nation that I love from extremism than to vote against the party in power come the mid-term elections for whichever half of Congress seems most vulnerable for a take-over.

Should we have split control and our country be faced by a 'must address' emergency, I'll have no other choice to defend this nation that I love than to vote for a total control situation.

As I said, it's a difficult balancing act, but I see no other way forward at present.

Regards, stay safe 'n wall. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.
Last edited by Torus34 on 25 Oct 2020 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
late wrote:Dems ain't the guys killing democracy.

Hi, and thank you for taking time to read the OP and comment.

Our 'democracy' is of a limited type. The people who wrote our Constitution were suspicious of the common people and set up barriers to their ability to make their choices known at the ballot box. We have the effects of that to this day.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
Torus34 wrote:
Hi, and thank you for taking time to read the OP and comment.

Our 'democracy' is of a limited type. The people who wrote our Constitution were suspicious of the common people and set up barriers to their ability to make their choices known at the ballot box. We have the effects of that to this day.

Of course.

But that doesn't contradict my point, that Republicans are sticking knives into representative government. They are doing that in a lot of different ways, from packing the courts with kooks, to voter suppression, to disenfranchisement, to gerrymandering and more.

They are going for White rule.
late wrote:Of course.

But that doesn't contradict my point, that Republicans are sticking knives into representative government. They are doing that in a lot of different ways, from packing the courts with kooks, to voter suppression, to disenfranchisement, to gerrymandering and more.

They are going for White rule.

I'm not sure about 'white rule' as the primary defining parameter, but I'm sure we can agree on 'conservative' rule as a compromise. Please note the quotes 'round conservative. The modern conservatives are more populist and, in some areas, more reactionary than conservative.

Torus34 wrote:
I'm not sure about 'white rule' as the primary defining parameter, but I'm sure we can agree on 'conservative' rule as a compromise. Please note the quotes 'round conservative. The modern conservatives are more populist and, in some areas, more reactionary than conservative.

At one point during the debate, Biden and Wallace pressed Trump to condemn white supremacy groups. When Trump replied "Give me a name...", Biden responded with "The Proud Boys".[41] Trump then said "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by, but I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what, somebody's got to do something about Antifa and the Left, because this is not a right-wing problem, this is a left-wing problem." This remark was interpreted by some members of that far-right group, as well as others, as a call to arms.[42][43][44]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Unit ... and_debate

(Reminder: 'Antifa' is short for 'anti-fascism'.)
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]