Is intellectualism anti-democratic? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Finfinder wrote:Ironically hilarious and suspicious , because being objective is a cornerstone of being an intellectual. So are most pretendng to be intellectiuals or are they pretending to be not objective. LOL :lol: :D

Finfinder, one has to do the hard work of reading and thinking and digesting information out there. But in the end it is up to each individual to decide what is truthful to them about life. That is not being intellectual or not it is being HUMAN.

One woman asked my mother once about "I don't give a damn about philosophy. It is all intellectual mumbo jumbo and bullshit. What counts are real things like math and science and going to work and brushing your teeth. A bunch of philosophizing is all for the intellectuals who are just wasting time on things that don't pay you a wage or bring you profits."

She answered her very succinctly, "Every person has a philosophy. Every single human being does have one. The problem is that they think philosophy is about some abstract crap that is presented to them and is alienated from their own experiences. Philosophy is really about decisions people make on a daily basis and how they wind up making those decisions. it is not about abstractions and being better than the next person. It is about being aware of what you using or basing those decisions on...what is driving your motivation. That is philosophy. And since no one is neutral unless they are dead? No one is outside of living in a philosophical manner."
Tainari88 wrote:Finfinder, one has to do the hard work of reading and thinking and digesting information out there. But in the end it is up to each individual to decide what is truthful to them about life. That is not being intellectual or not it is being HUMAN.

One woman asked my mother once about "I don't give a damn about philosophy. It is all intellectual mumbo jumbo and bullshit. What counts are real things like math and science and going to work and brushing your teeth. A bunch of philosophizing is all for the intellectuals who are just wasting time on things that don't pay you a wage or bring you profits."

She answered her very succinctly, "Every person has a philosophy. Every single human being does have one. The problem is that they think philosophy is about some abstract crap that is presented to them and is alienated from their own experiences. Philosophy is really about decisions people make on a daily basis and how they wind up making those decisions. it is not about abstractions and being better than the next person. It is about being aware of what you using or basing those decisions on...what is driving your motivation. That is philosophy. And since no one is neutral unless they are dead? No one is outside of living in a philosophical manner."

Finally a good post from you. Plato, one of the great ones strongly believed that only the talented and smart people should rule the common man. Plato stated that kings should become philosophers or that philosophers should become kings. The problem is that most philosophers are not interested in running for office. The people that end up running for office are narcissists that break every moral rule they have ever known.
Julian658 wrote:Finally a good post from you. Plato, one of the great ones strongly believed that only the talented and smart people should rule the common man. Plato stated that kings should become philosophers or that philosophers should become kings. The problem is that most philosophers are not interested in running for office. The people that end up running for office are narcissists that break every moral rule they have ever known.

Philosopher thinks philosophers should rule, how surprising. :lol:

Besides, The Republic is only one work, there's also Statesman and Laws. If you want to start with The Republic, there's this excellent audiobook for free on youtube:

Rugoz wrote:Philosopher thinks philosophers should rule, how surprising. :lol:

Besides, The Republic is only one work, there's also Statesman and Laws. If you want to start with The Republic, there's this excellent audiobook for free on youtube:

This video is my recommendation for you!
Julian658 wrote:This video is my recommendation for you!

That wasn't meant to be an insult. Audiobooks are great because they allow you to do menial tasks while "reading" (such as cooking).

I read the (longer) text a long time ago.
Rugoz wrote:That wasn't meant to be an insult. Audiobooks are great because they allow you to do menial tasks while "reading" (such as cooking).

I read the (longer) text a long time ago.

No worries, I thought you were trolling me. 8)
Tainari88 wrote:Finfinder, one has to do the hard work of reading and thinking and digesting information out there. But in the end it is up to each individual to decide what is truthful to them about life. That is not being intellectual or not it is being HUMAN.

You also have to be honest enough to abmit the obvious about facts and that is being objective. For instance no matter what people say Rachel Dolezal is not Black.
Rugoz wrote:
Philosopher thinks philosophers should rule, how surprising. :lol:

You do know there have been a couple philosophers since then?

The last thing most philosophers would want to do is politics. Even if they were king, and the political demands were greatly reduced.

Make me king, I'll declare myself to be a demi-god, and clean things up in no time.

You're welcome (not really, I also can't stand politicking)...

He is still under checks and balances while other[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainly[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The claim is a conditional statement. This is one[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I don't know who are you are referring to, but th[…]