Western democracies are no longer fit for purpose. - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Rancid wrote:Is it time to waive the white flag? Is it time to give up on democracy?

If we choose to shrivel up and rot, at least it's our choice. We will simply learn our lessons the hard way I guess.

The West has become so wealthy and bloated that life has been far too easy for far too long. We've forgotten that the world is a very nasty and brutal place. Our Nazi fighters are almost all dead, and the Cold Warriors are retiring. We will soon be reminded of what the world is really like, almost certainly when it's too late. We failed our sons and daughters and only have ourselves to blame.

I suppose if we gave up on democracy things might not fall so far, but at what cost?
Unthinking Majority wrote:If we choose to shrivel up and rot, at least it's our choice.

Is it?

Or does Western Democracy and its "suburban media isolation confinement syndrome" make praxis almost impossible?

If it does, then shrivelling up and rotting won't be our choice.
Pants-of-dog wrote:It has long been my belief that capitalism and democracy are inherently at odds with each other.

The problem is that the capitalists have all the money and power and do not want change to happen.

I agree. This means that the influence of large wealth needs to be removed from direct political influence. No donations allowed that an ordinary worker can't easily make, no Super PACs, no 3rd party political advertising, no lobbying not on public record etc
Wolvenbear wrote:But let's look at this from the other side. Why should people be provided with cush, swanky housing when they don't want to work for it?

Was this your situation when you were homeless?

You were given a three-bedroom villa with a nice marble-topped breakfast island, all the while insisting that you didn't want to work since you could have the breakfast island free of charge?

Is this the anecdote that your *real world experience* allows you to peddle her: "I was homeless, and they don't deserve homes?"

ckaihatsu wrote:When did you become the 'stray dog' of politics, Rancid?

People are often socialized into becoming tail-wagging house-dogs who "go along" with the humans (superiors) in order to get treats from them.
QatzelOk wrote:Was this your situation when you were homeless?

You were given a three-bedroom villa with a nice marble-topped breakfast island, all the while insisting that you didn't want to work since you could have the breakfast island free of charge?

Is this the anecdote that your *real world experience* allows you to peddle her: "I was homeless, and they don't deserve homes?"

People are often socialized into becoming tail-wagging house-dogs who "go along" with the humans (superiors) in order to get treats from them.

So are dishonesty and stupidity your only arguing tools? Because your response was both. It made no valid point, rambled incoherently, and then attacked me for responding to an ACTUAL argument made, and supported by you.

In fact, immediately after attacking my "hypothetical", you then reiterate that people should be GIVEN homes no matter what, which is exactly what I am disputing.

Goodness, you're a hack.
Vladimir Putin wrote:... in terms of individual income, the developed economies in Europe show the same trend as the United States.

But then again, in terms of corporate profits, who got hold of the revenue? The answer is clear: one percent of the population.

And what has happened in the lives of other people? In the past 30 years, in a number of developed countries, the real incomes of over half of the citizens have been stagnating, not growing. Meanwhile, the cost of education and healthcare services has gone up. Do you know by how much? Three times.

In other words, millions of people even in wealthy countries have stopped hoping for an increase of their incomes. In the meantime, they are faced with the problem of how to keep themselves and their parents healthy and how to provide their children with a decent education. ...

It's nice of the leader of Russia - a country that now hosts many of the West's best journalists - has a better handle on how screwed the working class of Western countries is than... our own 1%-ass-kissing pseudo-leaders.

Yes, we know you believe Amit Soussana is a liar ([…]

Do you get paid a certain amount of money for ev[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

^ I shared the Sachs and Meirsheimer videos in her[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]