Russian hacking worse than we thought - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"Eight weeks later, General Nakasone and other American officials responsible for cybersecurity are now consumed by what they missed for at least nine months: a hacking, now believed to have affected upward of 250 federal agencies and businesses, that Russia aimed not at the election system but at the rest of the United States government and many large American corporations.

“This is looking much, much worse than I first feared,” said Senator Mark Warner, Democrat of Virginia and the ranking member of the Senate Intelligence Committee. “The size of it keeps expanding. It’s clear the United States government missed it.”

Intelligence officials say it could be months, years even, before they have a full understanding of the hacking."

Wonderful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/02/us/p ... nment.html
What's embarrassing about this whole fiasco was how long it took these government agencies to discover there was a breach. The blame falls squarely on Trump's shoulders who has been giving the Russians a pass in his foreign policy all these years. It's Trump's fault that this was not uncovered much more quickly and to my knowledge, a retaliatory response not ordered. If Trump doesn't order serious retaliation against the Russians for this then it is Biden's responsibility to do so. The U.S. government should be taking the leashes off our hackers to strike back at the Russians.

As far as I know, the U.S. government has kept them on the leash so our hackers won't do anything unless the U.S. government authorizes and permits them to do so. With Trump currently in office, I doubt he will take the leash off given that he seems to be an admirer of Putin. Trump has definitely been a huge sucker when it comes to Putin. But I have no doubt our hackers have the capability to inflict serious damage on the Russians if they are given the authorization to do so by our government. This is embarrassing this breach wasn't discovered sooner.
@late

Check this out late and others here on the forum. Late's article also discusses how the NSA, after Snowden's revelations, failed at detecting this breech partly because of the prohibitions that were put on the NSA in light of Snowden's revelations. Here is a quote from the article:

David E. Sanger, Nicole Perlroth and Julian E. Barnes of the New York Times wrote:The hackers managed their intrusion from servers inside the United States, exploiting legal prohibitions on the National Security Agency from engaging in domestic surveillance and eluding cyberdefenses deployed by the Department of Homeland Security.

“Early warning” sensors placed by Cyber Command and the National Security Agency deep inside foreign networks to detect brewing attacks clearly failed. There is also no indication yet that any human intelligence alerted the United States to the hacking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/02/us/p ... nment.html

It wouldn't surprise me that the intelligence passed by Snowden to the Russians played a role in the success of this Russian cyber-attack.
blame it to russians everything, easier than to see themselves in the mirror?

https://theweek.com/articles/462232/5-people-who-eluded-uncle-sam-much-longer-than-edward-snowden

not that there are no modern imperial hooks, probably as never before even on humint level, but just one reminder, espionage is also cloaked by domestic militias like russian or chinese job, I can just imagine that also every domestic power group wants to have hand as higher as they can need want from different reasons ...

... still defacto the war of the fifth dimension is geopolitical in largest extent, mostly as peaceful cyberwarfare [1][1] although from time to time used in actual modern warfare events tho along other types of direct modern weapons [2][2][2]
i'll state again espionage is common thing nowadays to/from any side, but its striking how intelligence scams could be used as russian spinns eg. Christopher Steele was hired by FUsionGPS for DonaldT Attack [1][1] while earlier there is some conspi-info that they were hired by BarackO [2][2][2] is this just an hoax pattern because if wasnt probably it would be demystified by tramps administration, although for sure he stuck in the swamp after the pandemics and didnt got second chance, maybe he was up to something bigger than the bipartisan skim, as once RobbertK pointed before his death [3][3]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]