Drug legalisation - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Should drugs be legal

No, deathpenalty for dealers and drugconsumers should be send to jail
11%
No, the current war on drugs has to be continued
11%
Yes, but just marihuana consumption and trade, like in Netherlands, Catalania, Oregon and California
22%
Yes, but just consumption should be legal trade not, like in the Czech Republic
17%
Yes a total druglegalisation is the best way, you can buy and trade drugs which are taxed like tabacco
39%
Often drug addiction is not about merit but about trauma or undiagnosed mental illness.

A person who had the misfortune to go through something traumatic that then led to drug abuse has no less merit and has done no less work than a person who has not had such misfortune.

And a person born with a mental illness likewise does not have less merit, especially when they are unable to access treatment and end up relying on drugs to deal with the symptoms.

I have no idea if these are the main factors in drug addiction, but they seem like the two main causes in terms of my own personal experiences with people dealing with drug addiction.

Expanding health services to cover these people so that these people can access mental health treatments is a good idea even if it will not reduce drug addiction, but it probably will.
By Goranhammer
late wrote:Look up the meaning of the word.

You prefer "merit-based" instead? I said meritocratic because the government is the one subsidizing these losers, and that's pretty anti-meritocratic.
There should be harsh meusures against drugs and drug cartels.
The people who profit from it and people who allow the existence of such trading are a pile of horsecrap that feed of weak peoples misery.
I have friends that are addicts and I've lost one to drugs. Addicted people, we can't judge them they are just weak, that doesn't make them bad though.
So I think best thing we can do is set upmany rehab centers for all the current junkies to get treated and then start a real war on the cartels.
Anyone caught trafficing such crap should be sentenced to death.
Because heavy drugs, are just crap.
Only marijuana can be allowed. But only natural one, that kind of shit Albanian cartels are trafficing is just pure poison, they put battery in it wtf.
Anyway, no drugs, help addicts, only natural weed.
By late
Goranhammer wrote:
You prefer "merit-based" instead? I said meritocratic because the government is the one subsidizing these losers, and that's pretty anti-meritocratic.

A meritocracy rewards merit.

It isn't a form of sadistic punishment.
By late
Hellas me ponas wrote:
There should be harsh measures against drugs and drug cartels.

Going after supply and ignoring demand has failed for 50 years.

It will continue to be a horrible failure.
By Skynet
late wrote:Going after supply and ignoring demand has failed for 50 years.

It will continue to be a horrible failure.

Ottoman Emperor Murad V. introduced deathpenalty for smoking... it did not work.

Saudi Arabia is the most sober country on earth but they have the highest consumption of psychotropic drugs, like Valium and Co.

The Alcohole prohibition lead to Al Capone.
By Goranhammer
late wrote:A meritocracy rewards merit.

It isn't a form of sadistic punishment.

I think not being a loser addict is pretty meritorious, personally.

You must set the bar pretty low on mankind.
By Pants-of-dog
Goranhammer wrote:I think not being a loser addict is pretty meritorious, personally.

Your personal opinions and feelings about drug addicts are not an argument.
By late
Goranhammer wrote:
I think not being a loser addict is pretty meritorious, personally.

This is so simple, a 5 year old would grasp it instantly.

Best of luck...
By Skynet
Goranhammer wrote:I think not being a loser addict is pretty meritorious, personally.

First not all drugusers are addicts, like not all who drink buzz are alcholics.

I know many entrepreneurs who take cocain week-end.
By Goranhammer
Sandzak wrote:First not all drugusers are addicts, like not all who drink buzz are alcholics.

And we're not draining public coffers on their rehab either.

My argument stands - I support legalization of all drugs, as long as the spillover costs are personally maintained. When you become a burden to the state, you lose that right.
By Deutschmania
Sandzak wrote:First not all drugusers are addicts, like not all who drink buzz are alcholics.

Such bourgeois decadence comes as no surprise . https://llco.org/combat-bourgeois-culture-by-building-new-culture/ I feel that Vietnam has the right idea on how to deal with drug abuse . https://vn.usembassy.gov/drug-treatment-court-a-new-approach-for-vietnam-in-treatment-for-drug-addicts/ , https://vietnamlawenglish.blogspot.com/1999/12/vietnam-criminal-penal-code-1999-law-no.html - Articles 194-201
Sandzak wrote:With taxes on drugs, rehab could be payed and prevention.

Taxes on soda don't pay for people who need gastric bypass because they Doctor-Peppered their fat asses into obesity, nor does someone get subsidized chemo for lung cancer because they buy 2 cartons of Marlboros a week.

Besides, as a general rule I'm against Pigovian taxes, but it would definitely be needed here (and at a high level) to subsidize addiction costs. I just don't like the slippery slope that leads to.
By late
Goranhammer wrote:
I just don't like the slippery slope that leads to.

I know, who the hell wants sanity.
By Goranhammer
late wrote:I know, who the hell wants sanity.

Pretty much tells your political views when your definition of sanity involves a world of junkies being subsidized by Daddy Gubmint.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]