Now reading - Page 182 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Wellsy
Godstud wrote:I just finished Speaker for the Dead (audiobook),by Orson Scott Card and Sharpe's Prey, by Bernard Cornwell. Great books.

I've started War Lord, by Bernard Cornwell. :D

Coincidentally, I am currently making my way through Speaker for the Dead for the first time.
By Godstud
@Wellsy I really enjoyed the audiobook. Orson Scott Card even does some voice-acting in it.

I am going to start Ender in Exile, tomorrow. It's supposedly between Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead.

I usually have a paperback book and an audiobook going at the same time. :D
By Drlee
Hey @Godstud

Have you read any of the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series?

If you like Sharpe you will adore these books. The New York Times said, "Best historical fiction ever". The Harvard Review of Books said, "The greatest writer in English since Jane Austin.

Read the first 3 of 21 and you will be well and truly hooked.

Master and Commander
Post Captain
HMS Surprise

I am not much of a fanboy but after reading all of them I flew off to Portsmouth, UK for a Patrick O'Brian weekend complete with dinner on HMS Victory.
By MadMonk
Drlee wrote:I am not much of a fanboy but after reading all of them I flew off to Portsmouth, UK for a Patrick O'Brian weekend complete with dinner on HMS Victory.

If you are not a fanboy, do the real fans reconstruct the ship together and sail it to Portsmouth? ;)

I do like historical fictions (or really grim fantasy). I guess the torture of the movie adaptation of Master and Commander has made me avoid them. :lol:
By Drlee
@MadMonk

I guess the torture of the movie adaptation of Master and Commander has made me avoid them.

Indeed. The books are quite something different indeed. Commit to the first three and you will be hooked. They are far far more sophisticated than the movie. Much more than the bang-bang of Master and Commander.

I might have built a ship but I could not get oak on frequent flyer miles. British Airways First is a very cool way to ride for free. 8)
By Godstud
Master and Commander, the movie, was great. It reviewed great and audience approval was great. Of course the book is going to vary from the movie. You can watch The Last Kingdom TV series, and it varies from the book series by Bernard Cornwell.

I'll order some Patrick O'Brian books, soon. They seem like my cup of tea, and I recently read (Sharpe's Trafalgar). :D

I've ripped thru over a hundred books in the last 2 years.
By ness31
Page 450 of Atlas Shrugged. I’m still into it.

I’d love to watch this as a theatre production. The best role would be Lillian Rearden. I have no idea why she’s referred to as a minor character.

Also Franciscos lecture at the party could have been much shorter, and he knew it.

I’m also predicting that he’s the inventor of the motor, and maybe the cigarettes? Although the cigarettes might be John Galt. Is he going to make an appearance soon?

Anyway, no spoilers please. Just thinking out loud :D
By Godstud
I just finished Ready Player Two, by Ernest Cline. If you liked Ready Player One, you'll like this.
By ness31
Does Ayn Rand actually spend an entire page describing Hank Reardens erection, or is it I that have the depraved mind?
By Heisenberg
ness31 wrote:Does Ayn Rand actually spend an entire page describing Hank Reardens erection, or is it I that have the depraved mind?

Ayn Rand spends hundreds of pages on psuedo-profound speeches by neckbeard characters who would be wedgied to death in real life. Spending a page describing an erection actually sounds like one of her less masturbatory moments... :excited:

Anyway, just started this.
By ness31
skinster wrote:Recently lost all my tabs. Essays, PDFs of books, all kinds of articles. It was a sad day for a few minutes.

How? That sounds like a massive malfunction :hmm:

@Heisenberg For all it’s downfalls of long- windedness; the vividness of Rands writing has made it real. Only until you read the novel do you see Rands philosophy in every facet of life and how it’s been perverted by soulless corporations.

I’m blown away to be quite honest.
By skinster
ness31 wrote:How? That sounds like a massive malfunction :hmm:

One day everything just disappeared after I restarted my computer. I summoned my tech nerd frands and nothing could be salvaged except the stuff I could remember from the top of my head. I was sad for a few minutes, but then you get busy again. :hmm:
By ness31
skinster wrote:One day everything just disappeared after I restarted my computer. I summoned my tech nerd frands and nothing could be salvaged except the stuff I could remember from the top of my head. I was sad for a few minutes, but then you get busy again. :hmm:

You got wiped. I dunno if that’s a thing, but it sounds like it should be a thing :|
By Potemkin
skinster wrote:One day everything just disappeared after I restarted my computer. I summoned my tech nerd frands and nothing could be salvaged except the stuff I could remember from the top of my head. I was sad for a few minutes, but then you get busy again. :hmm:

One word @skinster: Mossad. :|
By Godstud
@Rugoz Literature. This fits.
By Rugoz
Godstud wrote:@Rugoz Literature. This fits.

Cinema and music are also arts.

I rarely stray into this section of the forum.
By MistyTiger

Didn't your nerd frands advise you to save backups of files you love and want to keep? I lost a bunch of old files during my teens after a virus attack. After that, I became a lot more careful when on the interwebz and I back up some stuff. I don't create many docs or save lots of pics. If I did, I would save them to the cloud. :excited:

Voting for this guy again would be a very banan[…]

...Genocide requires special intent... Jared Ku[…]

The US government does not care about the ongoing […]

I would also say that the extreme Left can be j[…]