A mob has broken into the capitol building - Page 47 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

blackjack21 wrote:When he "retired," he was part of an American delegation to the Central Treaty Organization, reporting to Ambassador McClintock at the US Embassy in Beirut. His job was to "vaccinate" livestock and stamp out hoof-and-mouth disease, mange, etc. throughout Lebanon.

That was just an operative cover. I mean, he did actual work, but having the appearance of some sort of beneficial activity is why he was there.

The NOCs were basically bribing the farmers and ranchers in the hinterlands (more or less the Beqaa Valley) so that they would not side with the communists. He probably wasn't supposed to write that stuff in his diaries...

Thanks for this personal anecdote, bj.

May I share it on the "The Impossibility of Capitalist Charity" thread?
blackjack21 wrote:Meanwhile, Joe Biden wearing an earpiece and used to repeating exactly what they say to him says as he passes US Marines, "salute the troops" because he didn't get the cue that he was supposed to salute the troops and not say "salute the troops." It's pretty astonishing.

And false, unfortunately. In my opinion he can be heard saying 'good-looking marines', but he definitely doesn't say anything like 'salute the troops/marines'.

Nice try, though.
:lol:
If niggling us on little gaffs by Biden is the best they can do, I can put up with the simpering fools and Trump-cultists, @jimjam.
blackjack21 wrote:If I were a legislature, I would read it as more of a warning than an actual attack. If a crowd that size actually wanted to attack, there's really not much that even the 20k troops could do. You can't stop something like a French Revolution. You just can't. Yet, they try to call it a coup--which is ironically exactly what they just pulled off. We have an inauguration with the most powerful country in the world, and the citizens aren't allowed to attend. They bring in troops to protect the politicians, but they're afraid of the troops too. Once they no longer need the troops, they send them off to a parking garage. Meanwhile, Joe Biden wearing an earpiece and used to repeating exactly what they say to him says as he passes US Marines, "salute the troops" because he didn't get the cue that he was supposed to salute the troops and not say "salute the troops." It's pretty astonishing. He also has the lowest approval rating of a new president in sometime--lower than 50%.

I can see why the establishment is afraid.

@blackjack21 ;

Though some may quibble over the details and bring their usual bit of bias into an analysis of the situation, it certainly appears to be true that the establishment is afraid, and kind of should be. Although honestly I think the Biden Administration should be more worried about the Anarchists and other assorted loons on the American ''Left'' than anyone who voted for President Trump.

The fact that they don't understand that is both typical and part of the reason why they need to steal Trump's thunder and pivot to more nationalistic and populist endeavors, and knock off trying to fulfill the liberal freakshow wish list right off the bat as they have.
Yeah it's the French Revolution, and not a bunch of Qbrained morons having all of the conspiracy theories they've been obsessing over for years to the point where they've driven family members away validated by the sitting president, in person. Definitely something that is replicable.

Trump doesn't care about anything other than his own aggrandizement and will not be leading another coup attempt now that he's been banned from most internet outlets. If he will play any role in a future fascistic coup it will be as Orange Leudendorff, but way less classy since he was raised as New Jersey government grifting trash and not Bavarian low-nobility.
More fascism and surveillance is a very poor response to ... fascim and surveillance.

Caitlin Johnstone wrote:People who are actually interested in ending Trumpism would be promoting an end to the corruption in the political system, an end to the opacity of their government, an end to their uniquely awful electoral system, and an end to the neoliberal policies which have been making Americans poorer and poorer with less and less support from the government which purports to protect them.

But these changes are not being promoted by the U.S. political/media class, because the U.S. political/media class speaks for an empire that depends on these things.

The idea that Joe Biden represents anything other than "more of the same shit," is a sad symptom of our culture's intellectual decline.

You can cheer one mafia-linked tyrant leaving the White House without cheering the one who follows him.
QatzelOk wrote:More fascism and surveillance is a very poor response to ... fascim and surveillance.

The idea that Joe Biden represents anything other than "more of the same shit," is a sad symptom of our culture's intellectual decline.

You can cheer one mafia-linked tyrant leaving the White House without cheering the one who follows him.

@QatzelOk ;

Under one aspect of the political situation, you are pretty well correct. However, it doesn't arise on second glance to be something that should cast doubt on the principle of government itself. One should take the good that they do almost accidentally, along with the bad, and strive to govern oneself so that the State has little reason or ability to enter into one's life for good or for ill.
annatar1914 wrote:@QatzelOk ;

Under one aspect of the political situation, you are pretty well correct. However, it doesn't arise on second glance to be something that should cast doubt on the principle of government itself. One should take the good that they do almost accidentally, along with the bad, and strive to govern oneself so that the State has little reason or ability to enter into one's life for good or for ill.

This is a bit of the "no one who is truly good needs to fear the gestapo" line of thinking.

It fails by allowing the state (oligarchs) to repress or destroy types of humans that don't meekly submit.

This, in the long term, leads to sheep-people without many survival instincts. And that leads to slaughter of your kids or grand-kids.
(we may be there already, paying for our parents' and grandparents' meekness in the face of modern tyranny at home).
QatzelOk wrote:This is a bit of the "no one who is truly good needs to fear the gestapo" line of thinking.

It fails by allowing the state (oligarchs) to repress or destroy types of humans that don't meekly submit.

This, in the long term, leads to sheep-people without many survival instincts. And that leads to slaughter of your kids or grand-kids.
(we may be there already, paying for our parents' and grandparents' meekness in the face of modern tyranny at home).

@QatzelOk ;

Here's the problem that I should have perhaps made more clear; a tyrant is by definition an illegitimate ruler, a usurper, and if it is feasible to resist them, one should, unless greater evil would come from doing so. This does not by the way get into the means of such resistance either. It's been over 100 years though since most people knew of or even considered the natural law in this and other matters, even though it's written in our hearts, in our consciences.

So what then is a ''Tyrant''? A Tyrant is one who by their actions or failures to act, is a ruler who has basically entirely turned against the common good of society. Problem is that under most circumstances people may have doubts as to what that ''common good'' is, so nobody should be too quick to judge who is a Tyrant in any case.
annatar1914 wrote:A Tyrant is one who by their actions or failures to act, is a ruler who has basically entirely turned against the common good of society. Problem is that under most circumstances people may have doubts as to what that ''common good'' is, so nobody should be too quick to judge who is a Tyrant in any case.

One could make the case that no USA president has had "the common good" as his top priority since JFK.

But I am certain that no president in my lifetime has been anything more than a Faustian mercenary for moneyed interests.

This type of tyranny-of-money has zero concern for public good, and has been the default in the Americas since Christopher Columbus's gang showed up here.

But they are everywhere today, these violently mercenary "governments" created by-and-for multinational corporations. Private. Not public. Winners and suckers.

These guys - our current crop of mercenary whore politicians and the private money they represent - will never unite a nation. They live off of division and violence (and lies).
A lot of the people that are getting arrested are using the "Trump made me do it" defense. Not sure how the helps their cause, but it's interesting that they are basically saying that Trump did in fact incite the riot.
Rancid wrote:A lot of the people that are getting arrested are using the "Trump made me do it" defense. Not sure how the helps their cause, but it's interesting that they are basically saying that Trump did in fact incite the riot.

Yeah, because that legal defence sure worked a treat at Nuremberg, didn't it? Lol. :excited:
QatzelOk wrote:One could make the case that no USA president has had "the common good" as his top priority since JFK.

But I am certain that no president in my lifetime has been anything more than a Faustian mercenary for moneyed interests.

This type of tyranny-of-money has zero concern for public good, and has been the default in the Americas since Christopher Columbus's gang showed up here.

But they are everywhere today, these violently mercenary "governments" created by-and-for multinational corporations. Private. Not public. Winners and suckers.

These guys - our current crop of mercenary whore politicians and the private money they represent - will never unite a nation. They live off of division and violence (and lies).

@QatzelOk ;

One could indeed make that case, but...

I mention this particularly in the context of the Capitol Hill riot, it is important to make clear in the public consciousness not only the collective resolution of accepting either the ruling elites legitimacy or their illegitimacy, but also the probability of a positive or negative outcome following any attempted violent replacement of a illegitimate regime. If peaceful and regular constitutional means are by any means possible, they should be used first and foremost.

If they're not commanding one to commit outright evil, or sending the nation straight towards immediate national extinction, it might then in that circumstance not be enough in the interest of the common good to have them replaced, either.
annatar1914 wrote: If peaceful and regular constitutional means are by any means possible, they should be used first and foremost.

If they're not commanding one to commit outright evil, or sending the nation straight towards immediate national extinction, it might then in that circumstance not be enough in the interest of the common good to have them replaced, either.

USA citizens will do absolutely nothing until they are starving to death. And then it will be too late.

The inability of American citizens to do anything to change their political actors demonstrates that it is not a democracy in any way.

So if you like crooked banksters being your dictators, buckle up. They have your internet as well.

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]