Report: Tencent raising billions to buy EA, Take-Two, or others - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Sources tell TMT Finance that Tencent is raising billions to buy out a new game company. Insiders believe Tencent could force a hostile takeover of Grand Theft Auto parent company Take-Two Interactive, or possibly make a deal to buy out EA.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/77498/re ... index.html

I don't know where this kind of speculative economic news goes so I put it here. If EA gets gobbled up it might finally stop killing franchises. I want Maxis back. Simcity 4 still hasn't been surpassed. No, Cities skylines is a city designer, it is not a challenging and accurate city simulator like simcity 4 which models a city with many more layers.
Igor Antunov wrote:Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/77498/re ... index.html

I don't know where this kind of speculative economic news goes so I put it here. If EA gets gobbled up it might finally stop killing franchises. I want Maxis back. Simcity 4 still hasn't been surpassed. No, Cities skylines is a city designer, it is not a challenging and accurate city simulator like simcity 4 which models a city with many more layers.

Tencent mostly develops gacha mobile games and mmos so i am not sure how Tencent would be an upgrade for any development company. Dear god, how can their be a developer worse than EA i am not sure but I can't really say anything positive about Tencent. I don't even know any good games from Tencent. A lot of Tencent portfolio is basically games that they purchased or own stakes in now after they become popular. At least i guess they don't destroy games like EA does so perhaps Tencent is better in that regard than EA.

Although as a developer of technology and other things besides games, Tencent seems to be an okay company.

Although there is also similar question as to many other Chinese companies. Why do we allow Tencent operate freely why in China European and US comapnies need to partner with Tecent to sell games. But then again, there is already a trade conflict going and games is one of the more irrelevant categories i guess.
Tencent has a proven record of being hands off with their acquisitions, yet they provide endless liquidity and security to studios. I wouldn't be worried on that front. EA develops Gacha too and has done so with their sports games since the late 00's, Rockstar has been shoehorning gacha into its franchises now (GTA online, RDR2 online). They would not be influenced either way except for providing more money and thus time for a proper sequel.

Although there is also similar question as to many other Chinese companies. Why do we allow Tencent operate freely why in China European and US comapnies need to partner with Tecent to sell games. But then again, there is already a trade conflict going and games is one of the more irrelevant categories i guess.

Because these are global publicly traded companies. Many of them don't even pay taxes in the US or Europe. Allow is not part of the system. Investors can purchase shares from other investors. It's a free market.
EA invented gacha (lootcrates) with its fifa titles, so...ploblem?

I actually believe no Chinese IT company or technology should be allowed to operate within the US as a matter of national security. These should be policies in every Western country.

Then enjoy the stone age I guess. The west is incapable of modern goods production without China.
Unthinking Majority wrote:I have no issue buying a plastic bucket made in China. But there's no way a Chinese piece of software or hardware is going into my home.

I have already allowed the NSA into my home, gotta draw the line somewhere.

Rest assured your home is already filled to the brim with Chinese software and hardware. NSA relies on it too.

Acceptance is the key to happiness.
Igor Antunov wrote:EA invented gacha (lootcrates) with its fifa titles, so...ploblem?

Then enjoy the stone age I guess. The west is incapable of modern goods production without China.

EA did invent gacha (Kind off) but it doesn't excuse Tencent from abusing the hell out of it even more than EA. The two main differences between EA and Tencent as game devs is basically:
1) Tencent doesn't destroy developers for no reason like EA does. (And franchises)
2) Tencent will abuse gacha more than EA.

This is like choosing between shit and shit. Arguably Tencent is less shit because destroying developers in franchises is worse than gacha in my book come to think of it. I understand that there is a certain amount of hate regarding any big game developer but let us face it. EA and Tencent are the worst of the bigger bunch when it comes to the most scumbagiest practices one can think off.
JohnRawls wrote:Although there is also similar question as to many other Chinese companies. Why do we allow Tencent operate freely why in China European and US comapnies need to partner with Tecent to sell games. But then again, there is already a trade conflict going and games is one of the more irrelevant categories i guess.

This is because in the west, we place profit over people, over country, over freedom. As they say, the capitalist will sell you the rope you will hang him with.

It is interesting to note the severe restrictions the Chinse government places on foreign companies and while they still remind folks that they have the ultimate say, they allow a lot of freedom for the few massive monopolies that have developed in China.
Wellsy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW3Dl2nA4M4

It is interesting to note the severe restrictions the Chinse government places on foreign companies and while they still remind folks that they have the ultimate say, they allow a lot of freedom for the few massive monopolies that have developed in China.

The Chinese model has flaws that is blatant for anyone to see. That is not news. The thing is that China is pretty much per capita under developed so nobody is sure when those problems will start becoming a big systemic issue. CHina recently supassed Russias per capita gdp figures but that is after Russia commited international suicide in Ukraine 6 years ago.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]