Everything is fragile - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
That's one of the recurring themes in The Expanse.

But recent events, Covid, the rise of the lunatics, the coup attempt against Congress, climate change, even that rogue asteroid with a name that I think is Apophos... all of it impresses on me how fragile we are.

And the one thing all those things have in common is that our response to them, so far, has been depressingly inadequate.
late wrote:That's one of the recurring themes in The Expanse.

But recent events, Covid, the rise of the lunatics, the coup attempt against Congress, climate change, even that rogue asteroid with a name that I think is Apophos... all of it impresses on me how fragile we are.

And the one thing all those things have in common is that our response to them, so far, has been depressingly inadequate.

Ooh, I love that show. Looking forward to reading the books someday. Human institutions are fragile; humans are resilient. We just have to be willing to work and to sacrifice for the next generation. Some things are difficult to fix but so long as we have the will and the selflessness, it can be done.
By late
Yggdrasill wrote:
Ooh, I love that show. Looking forward to reading the books someday. Human institutions are fragile; humans are resilient. We just have to be willing to work and to sacrifice for the next generation. Some things are difficult to fix but so long as we have the will and the selflessness, it can be done.

The show is very good, but the books are even better. I've read each one several times, and I am eagerly awaiting the last one.
By Rich
"Everything is fragile." That's what Krishna teaches in the Mahabharata, but he also enjoins us not to worry about it.
By late
Rich wrote:
"Everything is fragile." That's what Krishna teaches in the Mahabharata, but he also enjoins us not to worry about it.

There wasn't much he could do about it.
By jimjam

I am not familiar with the expanse. I did a quick google and it looks far out ( :lol: ) and I will look into it. Can you recommend any particular book?

I tripped and fell right outside the Hilltop coffee shop last October. Fractured my hip and had 3 screws inserted into my hip ……….. extreme pain.
Rancid wrote:We're doomed to fail, let's just hope that humanities failure happens after we're dead. :hmm:

I have pondered the future of the human race and, baring something like colonizing the solar system, I must agree with you. We are doing a horrible job of managing earth. The population bomb and greed will do us in.

I am 76 and think I will make it through. I have step grandchildren 10 years old and younger. They are so innocent and I fear for them.
By late
jimjam wrote:
I am not familiar with the expanse. I did a quick google and it looks far out ( :lol: ) and I will look into it. Can you recommend any particular book?

I tripped and fell right outside the Hilltop coffee shop last October. Fractured my hip and had 3 screws inserted into my hip ……….. extreme pain.

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Start with the first one, which is also my favorite, Leviathan Wakes.
late wrote:Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Start with the first one, which is also my favorite, Leviathan Wakes.

I've just read Leviathan Wakes. It's a page-turner, and is a sort of cross between a space opera, a 1940s film noir, and a zombie movie. I, too, can recommend it. :up:
By jimjam

I watched the first 2 episodes last night. It's a good one ……………….. riveting. I am now hooked and must see more :lol: . Thank you.

Plus ………….. after overcoming some serious reservations, I decided to root for earth. Mars is even the "Red Planet" which enables me to neatly transfer my fear of Communism as "Enemy Number One". :lol:
By late
jimjam wrote:
I watched the first 2 episodes last night. It's a good one ……………….. riveting. I am now hooked and must see more :lol: . Thank you.

Plus ………….. after overcoming some serious reservations, I decided to root for earth. Mars is even the "Red Planet" which enables me to neatly transfer my fear of Communism as "Enemy Number One". :lol:

The tv show is really good, the books are a lot better. You can get a copy through interlibrary loan, to try it. I've read it at least ten times. That's not a typo, I have all of them in a stack, and when I finish one, I pick up the next. They helped me get through the Trump years.

If you ever need help, give me a call.
By Rugoz
late wrote:The tv show is really good, the books are a lot better. You can get a copy through interlibrary loan, to try it. I've read it at least ten times. That's not a typo, I have all of them in a stack, and when I finish one, I pick up the next. They helped me get through the Trump years.

If you ever need help, give me a call.

Wait what? I mean I get they're kind of addicting, I've read the 8 books in a month or so, but there's arguably better stuff out there. Just saying.
By late
Rugoz wrote:
Wait what? I mean I get they're kind of addicting, I've read the 8 books in a month or so, but there's arguably better stuff out there. Just saying.

For you.

That's just what I do. If there's some new scifi that's as good, I'd like to know about it.

Have you read Pandora's Star?
By Rugoz
late wrote:For you.

That's just what I do. If there's some new scifi that's as good, I'd like to know about it.

Have you read Pandora's Star?

What qualifies as "new"? I enjoyed Children of Time (2015), though I wouldn't say it's better, just different. I wouldn't reread it 10x. :D
By late
Rugoz wrote:
What qualifies as "new"? I enjoyed Children of Time (2015), though I wouldn't say it's better, just different. I wouldn't reread it 10x.

If I like something a lot, I typically read it 2 or 3 times. If it blows me away, 5 times. Back in the 60s/70s I read the Lord of the Rings 5 times.

This is the first time I've just kept reading, although I am tapering off, I'm mostly reading other things now.

My library is getting Children of Time.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'd be totally happy for us to send ground troop i[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's promo[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]