Reddit Trolls Screw Hedge Funds out of $13 Billion. Wall Street MALDING - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15158904
Rancid wrote:Agree, but there will be a few amateur investors that made out with big money too though. NOt many, but there are some.


The early ones who bought at the start. I'd guess on that original rocket they pulled out when Robin Hood blocked buys. It was an obvious sign of a peak.

I've been monitoring the Reddit and they're going to keep this up whenever the stock is shorted by the hedge funds.
#15158905
B0ycey wrote:A penny is a penny in the UK. Pence is something you would say after a demonination. That is to say one penny is called one penny but you might have 1 pence change given to you. Nonetheless you learn something every day. You call your one cents a penny. Next you'll tell me you put petrol in your gas tank.



Perhaps I might say GME will go up in two days time. If it does it is a good call right? But more than not it is would just coincidence especially as the only data I have is chatter. But what if GME goes down? Would we call that a bad call? Or speculation on my part. GME stock is a gamble right now. If you can afford to lose it, bet and if not, stay out of it. How about that for a call?

Going suddenly from $45 to $180 is not "going up", it is rocketing, and Ric successfully called it, right before it was rocketed.
#15158908
Crantag wrote:Going suddenly from $45 to $180 is not "going up", it is rocketing, and Ric successfully called it, right before it was rocketed.


Compared to what? $485. What is causing the rise. Investment? Buy out? Dividend? Record profits? Or is it manipulation? Any call now to any share rise depends on chatter and people jumping on board at just the right time. It also depends on people willing to bet and lose. We have chatter today that it's going to "rocket" as you call it. Will it? Probably. People are still gambling on this. People (like yourself) are not selling. And as such the price is high and volatile and Wall Street know exactly when to bet as they can see what is occurring when it occurs. So what, you think Colliric know something? Test it. Put more than two pennies on his word.
#15158909
B0ycey wrote:Compared to what? $485. What is causing the rise. Investment? Buy out? Dividend? Record profits? Or is it manipulation? Any call now to any share rise depends on chatter and people jumping on board at just the right time. It also depends on people willing to bet and lose. We have chatter today that it's going to "rocket" as you call it. Will it? Probably. People are still gambling on this. People (like yourself) are not selling. And as such the price is high and volatile and Wall Street know exactly when to bet as they can see what is occurring when it occurs. So what, you think Colliric know something? Test it. Put more than two pennies on his word.

The particular moment which Ric called already passed. I put 2 cents on it some time earlier for the hell of it, because I noticed that I had 2 cents in my Robinhood account. It also lets me be more aware of the movements, again, just for the hell of it. I don't know why it Rocketed again (Ric's term not mine), another short squeeze? I don't know. Ric was on it though.
#15158911
Crantag wrote:Going suddenly from $45 to $180 is not "going up", it is rocketing, and Ric successfully called it, right before it was rocketed.


He uses the term because it is slang for a sharp rise perhaps. It also generates interest. Besides I suspect he may well be in this for the investment. If you can generate a buy up and buy in early, you are basically playing Wall Street. Have you thought of that?
#15158912
B0ycey wrote:Next you'll tell me you put petrol in your gas tank.


There are certain words that I'm finding that were mostly used by Brits, that are now gaining more traction in the US.

I'm finding more people say the phrase "on with it" in the US more these days. Also "cheers" is a word I'm noticing Americans using more and more in day to day speech. Even jab instead of shot (with respect to the covid vaccine), I'm seeing more in the American media! YOu dirty disgusting mudape brits. GO AWAY!

Perhaps the British invasion never ended. :eek:

My point is, perhaps one day we will say, bonnet instead of hood, Boot instead of trunk, jab instead of shot, petrol instead of gas, football boots instead of soccer clets, coriander instead of cilantro, crips instead of chips. Oh lord no... lord no please.

First Trump, now this. America is doomed.
#15158916
Rancid wrote:There are certain words that I'm finding that were mostly used by Brits, that are now gaining more traction in the US.

I'm finding more people say the phrase "on with it" in the US more these days. Also "cheers" is a word I'm noticing Americans using more and more in day to day speech. Even jab instead of shot (with respect to the covid vaccine), I'm seeing more in the American media! YOu dirty disgusting mudape brits. GO AWAY!

Perhaps the British invasion never ended. :eek:

My point is, perhaps one day we will say, bonnet instead of hood, Boot instead of trunk, jab instead of shot, petrol instead of gas, football boots instead of soccer clets, coriander instead of cilantro, crips instead of chips. Oh lord no... lord no please.

First Trump, now this. America is doomed.


Funny you write that because American English from imported TV shows means our English is becoming more Americanised. I even read once that GTECH baby toys are making our children have American accents in infancy. So for you guys to take our phases seems crazy to me.

Nonetheless, the only thing I am sure of is we could have the exact same phases, spell all our words the same and we could even standardise most of the words we say different to mean the same thing and still the word "Football" will never mean the same thing stateside compared UKside. I mean seriously, you kick that ball what ten times a game and that is football???
Last edited by B0ycey on 01 Mar 2021 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
#15158917
B0ycey wrote:He uses the term because it is slang for a sharp rise perhaps. It also generates interest. Besides I suspect he may well be in this for the investment. If you can generate a buy up and buy in early, you are basically playing Wall Street. Have you thought of that?

I'd say the term refers to a sudden very large rise (like more than tripling in a day by going from $45 to $180). Anyway given we all speak English, I think we are all comfortable with such a term.

I don't own any stock (aside from my 0.0003 shares of GME). I don't really have the disposable income, you know. The last time I owned any stock was this past year when I bought a bit of Treehouse Foods, SunOpta, a little Lowes; some pandemic stocks basically. I sold it to make a credit card payment (made a little profit off a little money, though maybe not because of taxes, I don't know nor care that much). The trouble is when you don't have savings or much disposable income it's hard to play the stock game.
#15158918
B0ycey wrote:I mean seriously, you kick that ball what ten times a game and that is football???


USA! USA! USA!

I think the word/phrase borrowing is happening because of youtube. Lots of popular American & Brit youtubers out there. My son is a fan of this British youtube kid called EthanGamerTV for example. Also DanTDM, another Brit.

I watch a few Guitar/Bass Brit youtubers too, for example. When you are exposed that much, it rubs off.
Last edited by Rancid on 01 Mar 2021 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
#15158921
B0ycey wrote:Funny you write that because American English from imported TV shows means our English is becoming more Americanised. I even read once that GTECH baby toys are making our children have American accents in infancy. So for you guys to take our phases seems crazy to me.

Nonetheless, the only thing I am sure of is we could have the exact same phases, spell all our words the same and we could even standardise most of the words we say different to mean the same thing and still the word "Football" will never mean the same thing stateside compared UKside. I mean seriously, you kick that ball what ten times a game and that is football???

Soccer is a word of British origins too though, is it not? (I recall the wiki article on 'association football' saying it was derived from this (asociation football => soccer)). I sort of see it like American football is another regional variation, like Australian football, Gaelic football, etc. But, I'm not really a sportologist, those were just my thoughts on it.
#15158922
Crantag wrote:I'd say the term refers to a sudden very large rise (like more than tripling in a day by going from $45 to $180). Anyway given we all speak English, I think we are all comfortable with such a term.

I don't own any stock (aside from my 0.0003 shares of GME). I don't really have the disposable income, you know. The last time I owned any stock was this past year when I bought a bit of Treehouse Foods, SunOpta, a little Lowes; some pandemic stocks basically. I sold it to make a credit card payment (made a little profit off a little money, though maybe not because of taxes, I don't know nor care that much). The trouble is when you don't have savings or much disposable income it's hard to play the stock game.


I agree. I wouldn't advise anyone to bet on GME because it may as well be classed gambling at the moment. My point is if you believe Collric knew something more than speculation than you should bet on his word. But I know that it was merely coincidence because chatter on Reddit at the moment is saying we are destined for another buy up like it has always been. In other words we are reading the same things as everyone else is. I however wouldn't come on here and say a "rocket" is certain and to bet on this. It may well happen. It probably will happen. And if it does I don't want you to say I "called it". Because the only thing I am going on is Reddit posts.
Last edited by B0ycey on 01 Mar 2021 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
#15158923
Crantag wrote:Soccer is a word of British origins too though, is it not? (I recall the wiki article on 'association football' saying it was derived from this (asociation football => soccer)). I sort of see it like American football is another regional variation, like Australian football, Gaelic football, etc. But, I'm not really a sportologist, those were just my thoughts on it.


I don't know. Soccer maybe a British word. All I know for certain is if you use the word here, especially in a "football" game, the first thing you hear is "It's called Football, what are you American or Something?". People seem passionate here that football must be called football and not soccer.
#15158925
B0ycey wrote:I agree. I wouldn't advise anyone to bet on GME because it may as well be classed gambling at the moment. My point is if you believe Collric knew something more than speculation than you should bet on his word. But I know that is was merely coincidence because chatter on Reddit at the moment is saying we are destined for another buy up like it has always been. In other words we are reading the same thingsize as everyone else is. I however wouldn't come on here and say a "rocket" is certain and to bet on this. It may well happen. It probably will happen. And if it does I don't want you to say I "called it". Because the only thing I am going on is Reddit posts.

Yes, it's gambling. Isn't all stock buying gambling though? I know the classical distinction of 'trading' vs 'investing', the former having the connotation of spuriousness and the latter of long-term considerations and prudence. But in this day and age those lines are pretty well blurred beyond recognition. For my part, should I come into any cash, I'd be inclined to buy land if possible (of course therein lies another entirely different conversation related to asset price inflation).

Any buying of stocks is basically a thing which involves research as the main work output. Of course you can always just buy stuff willy nilly, or buy what SeekingAlpha tells you, or whatever; I suppose the less work you put in the more purely gambling, or something. Research means studying the company and the stock; reading the financial filings (annual and quarterly reports); listening in on the earnings calls; studying the company and it's industry and markets; etc.

From that standpoint though, if you are looking at playing this GME game, reading wallstreetbets is also research. You say they say it's going to shoot up again, I wouldn't have known that, as I haven't read the posts on the reddit page. I visited the page a couple times, but haven't read much of it. I presumed that Ric had been reading the Reddit page and was figuring based on it, and perhaps some other circumstances. As it were, the ousting of the CEO preceded the most recent rocket launch.

But yeah, sure it is gambling, in the sense that Wall Street is one big casino. However, it is not purely gambling, because it is also coordinated to some extent. The media term 'activist investing' also attains in a very big way. Gambling merely refers to a crap shoot. There is clearly more than a quick roll in a dice game to this gamestop saga.
#15160476
B0ycey wrote: I just (...) read WallStreetBets.

Putting in that research time. Burning the mid nite oil.

Back to reality, I do occasionally follow the stock market, but I've never been much of a player.

The thing I said before, about that research is the work that goes into investing, from an old classical value investing standpoint, is the case, or so they say. Franklin Graham. Warren Buffet. They are value investors (the latter was a student of the former, and the former wrote the books. Buffet would probably write a book too, if he wasn't a terrible writer).

It is gambling though. None of us should feel too bad if we feel we missed the boat. (I didn't have any cash, though. My excuse.)

It is all interesting.

One time an economics professor told my class, basically, "what ever you do, don't buy bitcoin."

I curse him in my sleep to this day.
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
The Unthinkable is now reality.

@Juin If I was a general, serving a non NATO m[…]

Derek Chauvin Trial

I disagree, this sort of bullshit has happened of[…]

When my friends from Saratoga come up to Vacaville[…]

The purpose of this thread is not to investigate t[…]