Undocumented Aliens and Crime - Page 28 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
^^

I am not even going to justify that unsubstantiated nonsense with an answer.
Drlee wrote:Invade and overrun the cartels?

Has invading a country ever led to more stability and less refugees? I literally cannot think of a worse way of addressing the root causes of migration. And I say this not because of this answer offends me on so many levels, which it honestly does, but because it would actually lead to more migration. War is probably the single greatest cause of large scale spikes in refugee movement.

But yes, the violence caused by the cartels in the Caribbean, Central America and South America is a leading cause of migration. And so if you can stop it, you will greatly reduce migration.

Place liberal and freely elected governments in these countries?

Like a lot of US foreign policy in Latin America, this looks like it means well but it historically causes more problems than it solves. Pinochet was a liberal (economically, anyway) placed in power because his predecessor was viewed as illiberal.

But again, this does address another cause of migration: political instability. And while I know you disagree, I think the USA can do a lot to decrease political instability in Latin America by simply reducing its involvement in the region.

It is incorrect to blame the US drug market for all of the troubles of these countries. Many have no cartels at all.

I completely agree that the drug cartel issue is just one facet of the migration “problem”.

No POD, this problem has to be solved here. That is unless you want to embrace colonialism or....

Yes, if the US could solve this “problem” by focusing on internal changes, that would be best.

And as I said, I understand why the powers that be do not want to make those changes. Because they would lose a lot of money and power.
@Pants-of-dog

As long as we understand that you offer no concrete solutions for the US then we can move on.

Yes, if the US could solve this “problem” by focusing on internal changes, that would be best.

What would those be? You see POD, you and I are actually on the same side. I do not believe that illegal immigration is as large a problem as we are told to believe it is. I would grant broad amnesty to those who are already here. If they are not criminals and are gainfully employed I would do what Reagan did and grant them residency. I would also offer a path to citizenship even though, as a republican, I know few would vote for us due to the recent racist turn in the party. I would give them a path to citizenship just as I would any other immigrant. Why single them out as permanent second class Americans.

And as I said, I understand why the powers that be do not want to make those changes. Because they would lose a lot of money and power.

Yes. Because as legal residents they would have to be paid and respected.

Then after amnesty we could tear down that monumentally stupid wall and strictly enforce workplace status checks and prosecute employers who hire illegals. Problem solved.

Asylum seekers are a completely different problem for another thread. They are not illegal aliens anyway.
Drlee wrote:@Pants-of-dog

As long as we understand that you offer no concrete solutions for the US then we can move on.

I have them. I just think that you guys will not like it.

For example, legalising cocaine would help a lot, but I think the US conservatives are not ready for it.

What would those be?

End the war on drugs.

Stop meddling in latin American politics.

Enact a fair trade (instead of free trade) deal for the Americas.

Sponsor green energy initiatives in the global south, while cutting GHG emissions drastically.

But again, these proposals would be drastically unpopular.

Yes. Because as legal residents they would have to be paid and respected.

Then after amnesty we could tear down that monumentally stupid wall and strictly enforce workplace status checks and prosecute employers who hire illegals. Problem solved.

Asylum seekers are a completely different problem for another thread. They are not illegal aliens anyway.

And then what would happen with the next few thousand migrants? Wo7ld you do the same?
It's been awhile since I lasted posted on this one, but here's a bit of news demonstrating which group Biden administration believes needs more protection--undocumented criminals and the politicians that protect them, or the people they prey upon:

ICE locks Twitter account that alerted public of illegal immigrants freed by sanctuary cities
ICE has locked down a Twitter account that was used to alert the public to illegal immigrants released by sanctuary cities.

@ICEAlerts is now “protected,” meaning only those who had already been following the account can see the target names. Users also can’t retweet the old posts, said Jon Feere, a former senior employee at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement under President Trump.

ICE did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the change, but Mr. Feere said the Biden administration doesn’t want people to know what kinds of criminals it’s no longer actively seeking to deport.

“It seems the Biden Admin locked @ICEAlerts because if you were to report the location of one of these dangerous aliens to ICE, it would become too obvious that these assaulters, drug dealers, thieves, and drunk drivers are now allowed to go free under Biden’s policies,” Mr. Feere said in a series of tweets.

The account was started in 2013, under President Obama, when Mr. Biden was vice president. But Mr. Biden has broken with his former boss, saying Mr. Obama oversaw too many deportations during their time in office.

In the final months of the Trump administration the account had been posting at a pace of a notice a day of migrants released under sanctuary city policies.

The final postings went up Jan. 21, and the account hasn’t listed anyone since.

The last alert was on Ali Morit, a citizen of Yemen, who ICE said was released by the New York Police Department despite charges of assault, and acting in a manner to injure a juvenile. He had previously been deported once.

Mr. Feere posted a number of the alerts himself, so they can be retweeted from his account — though given ICE’s new non-deportation rules, it’s not clear what ICE would do if someone were to report one of the people.

Among them were three Mexican men with DUI charges on their records. They had been deported a combined 23 times before, and were sought by ICE during the Trump years, but had been released by California jurisdictions in defiance of ICE requests.

“When jurisdictions fail to honor an ICE detainer, it risks both public and officer safety, and unnecessarily expends ICE’s already-limited resources,” the agency said on each notice.

Mr. Feere said ICE also used to post “Most Wanted Wednesday” tweets aimed at seeking information on high public safety threats. Those, too, have been scratched, Mr. Feere said.

“The Biden Admin is apparently not too interested in public safety,” he tweeted.
What a garbage, piece of shit, piece of political propaganda. Why do you post this obvious shit Doug?
Doesn't surprise me at all. Remember that there are a great many Republicans who want to deport native born Americans because they are Latino.
Pants-of-dog wrote:ICE recently put a man on a plane to deport him back to Haiti.

The only trouble is that this man was not a Haitian citizen, nor had he ever been in Haiti.

Maybe the Haitian Goverment will deport him to Gambia, or North Korea, or some other place he is not from :lol: ?
We could make a sport out of this, how many countries can you visit via deportation. :lol: 8)
Drlee wrote:What a garbage, piece of shit, piece of political propaganda. Why do you post this obvious shit Doug?

Because of the "obvious shit" of cities, states, and now apparently our administration that would rather have criminals out on our streets rather than out of the country.

Pants-of-dog wrote:ICE recently put a man on a plane to deport him back to Haiti.

The only trouble is that this man was not a Haitian citizen, nor had he ever been in Haiti.

The man was born to Haitian parents in French territory and Haiti agreed to take him, apparently he belongs in Haiti as much as he belongs anywhere. He was ordered deported by an immigration judge after serving time for selling drugs.
Doug64 wrote:
The man was born to Haitian parents in French territory and Haiti agreed to take him, apparently he belongs in Haiti as much as he belongs anywhere. He was ordered deported by an immigration judge after serving time for selling drugs.

Yes, Haiti probably is better at accepting stateless people than the US.

That does not change the error of ICE.

Why not send him to France?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, Haiti probably is better at accepting stateless people than the US.

That does not change the error of ICE.

How exactly was it an error? He had been ordered deported by a judge, and Haiti agreed to take him.

Unlike the US, apparently France doesn't grant citizenship to everyone born within its borders.
Doug64 wrote:How exactly was it an error? He had been ordered deported by a judge, and Haiti agreed to take him.

Because he is not Haitian, and it is almost certainly a violation of international law to randomly send people to another country without their consent.

Unlike the US, apparently France doesn't grant citizenship to everyone born within its borders.

Trump wanted immigration from countries that were not..well, you know the word, you defended him!

And now we have an immigrant from France and he gets sent to Haiti because he is black.
Pants-of-dog wrote:

Why would France want to accept a person that is a drug dealer?
Pants-of-dog wrote:

And now we have an immigrant from France and he gets sent to Haiti because he is black.

His family is from Haiti.

Why should the US keep illegal immigrant drug dealers?
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... 9125.12175

Abstract
    Despite substantial public, political, and scholarly attention to the issue of immigration and crime, we know little about the criminological consequences of undocumented immigration. As a result, fundamental questions about whether undocumented immigration increases violent crime remain unanswered. In an attempt to address this gap, we combine newly developed estimates of the unauthorized population with multiple data sources to capture the criminal, socioeconomic, and demographic context of all 50 states and Washington, DC, from 1990 to 2014 to provide the first longitudinal analysis of the macro‐level relationship between undocumented immigration and violence. The results from fixed‐effects regression models reveal that undocumented immigration does not increase violence. Rather, the relationship between undocumented immigration and violent crime is generally negative, although not significant in all specifications. Using supplemental models of victimization data and instrumental variable methods, we find little evidence that these results are due to decreased reporting or selective migration to avoid crime. We consider the theoretical and policy implications of these findings against the backdrop of the dramatic increase in immigration enforcement in recent decades.

Well, that seems to settle that debate.
Breaking: Undocumented + excluded workers have shut down the Manhattan + Brooklyn bridges

National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON)

After one year of being excluded from relief - in the middle of a global pandemic- undocumented and excluded workers from across NY state have said enough and have shut down the Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges!

Will you help spread the word?

For one year, New York lawmakers and Governor Cuomo have told undocumented workers in New York to wait, meanwhile counting on their sweat, their health, and their lives to subsidize our state economy. It's inhumane to go on and ignore the crisis in our communities.

The message is clear. Today we're taking action to say basta, New York state leaders can and must do better. There are no excuses to deny relief to your neighbors, while we work, while we continue to get sick, and many continue to die. Put us in the budget, Gov Cuomo.

Watch the video and photos and help us get the word out today on Twitter, Facebook, and if you haven’t already, sign the petition here.

It’s a beautiful thing to see the powerful coalition of workers organizations taking action today. Here is a great thread of photos and videos.

#YNosotrosQue #FundExcludedWorkers #AllLaborIsEssential

In Solidarity,

Jorge Torres

NDLON Regional Coordinator

Follow NDLON online: Facebook · Twitter · Instagram · Web

Consider making a contribution and join a movement of people who stand with and fight for some of the most vulnerable members of our society.

DONATE TODAY »

Sent via ActionNetwork.org. To update your email address, change your name or address, or to stop receiving emails from National Day Laborer Organizing Network, please click here.

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Settlement program is an example of slow ethn[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]