Richard Rorty and Dawkins - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By late
If you asked me to make a list of the 100 people that influenced Rorty, or were influenced by him, Dawkins wouldn't be on it.

This came up in a thread, but I wanted to discuss it here, free from the usual mess that is discussion here.

Dawkins is a militant atheist. I don't like them, and I don't see the point. I can understand the anger, but if your goal is to be a sophisticated intellectual, that's a half assed way to go about it.

I found a paper that goes into this, I've only read the index so far. But it's clear the guy isn't out to lunch, I'll take a deeper dive into it, and if he starts acting nuts; I'll let you know.

Stripped down to it's underwear, all Rorty is saying is he doesn't want to talk about it (religion). That's pretty much how I feel.

Pragmatists try to say philosophical things in non-philosophical language. It's a great idea, not so easy to pull off. One of the reasons he is regarded as one of the leading intellects of the 20th is he could make it look easy.

He is very much worth reading, but if you haven't read a bunch of philosophy (and at least some 20th Century philosophy) it is tough going. I've started books by him that were outside what I've looked at, I didn't make it all the way through.

If you read about him, you will find people being critical. Philosophy has a lot of different schools, what someone says outside the world of contemporary pragmatism is usually of no interest to me. Every philosophy, without exception, has strengths and weaknesses, you can nitpick anything.

I read this stuff 40 years ago, give or take a bit. So I sure philosophy has moved on, but I can't speak to that.

http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/handle/2262/91840/Rorty%20on%20Religion%20-%20Selman%20Nur%20-%20200320.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
Last edited by late on 07 Mar 2021 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Ten years ago, Rorty was one of my favorite thinkers. I had taken a class on 20th century philosophy as part of my major. I remember he wrote a book called Achieving Our Country. I found his reasoning to be so easy to understand compared to reading Modern philosophy.

I think I still have the book.

I never cared much about Dawkins.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

That's sort of the point I was trying to get it. […]

I doubt capitalism will even exist in a century[…]

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]