Judge orders 25-year-old man to leave home and find job - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
https://web.archive.org/web/20110502094 ... f=obinsite (note article is from 2011)

This article is about Spain, where the unemployment rate for youth is 40%, there are 4.6 million Spaniards unemployed. It is not unusual for children to remain living with their parents until well into their 30's.

The man in the article, a 25 year old male, was court ordered to leave his parents home, because he was abusive. But the parents will still have to make his car payment, and pay a $292 month food allowance to him.

My question is not about parenting, or him getting thrown out... but is this the potential future of Western Europe, and possibly other Western countries? With higher unemployment, and adult children just not being able to find jobs? Living at home until 30-35 years old?
Puffer Fish wrote:https://web.archive.org/web/20110502094343/http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/04/27/spain.judge.find.job/index.html?iref=obinsite (note article is from 2011)

This article is about Spain, where the unemployment rate for youth is 40%, there are 4.6 million Spaniards unemployed. It is not unusual for children to remain living with their parents until well into their 30's.

The man in the article, a 25 year old male, was court ordered to leave his parents home, because he was abusive. But the parents will still have to make his car payment, and pay a $292 month food allowance to him.

My question is not about parenting, or him getting thrown out... but is this the potential future of Western Europe, and possibly other Western countries? With higher unemployment, and adult children just not being able to find jobs? Living at home until 30-35 years old?

It is happening increasingly here in the UK too, exacerbated by right ring housing policies and a shortage of supply. House prices are already extortionate and growing ever more so year on year apparently without end. Private rents are at ridiculously unaffordable levels, whilst social rented housing is scarce and growing ever scarcer as it is sold off faster than it is being replaced. Meanwhile ever more jobs are low paid, part time, or insecure, quite often with a lack of any guaranteed hours on so called zero hours contracts.

It is becoming ever harder for young people to afford to buy or rent a place of their own and living with their parents until well into their 20s is pretty much the norm now. It is not uncommon anymore for people in their 30s to be still living with their parents, and quite a few have to return home after a period of independence due to financial crises such as loss of job, a cut in pay of hours, or a massive hike in rent.

Young people in modern 21st century Britain are known euphemistically as "generation rent". Which tells you something.
@Rancid

Rancid wrote:This is a global problem in terms of housing costs. This will be a major issue for the economy at large when everyone is spending all of their money on housing, and thus have nothing to spend on anything else.

I agree Rancid. Some parts of the U.S. have very expensive housing and rent costs. Like in places such as California and parts of Vermont such as in Burlington. Housing and rent costs are outrageous in some parts of these states. That's why I live here in the south here in the U.S. Housing costs are much cheaper and cost of living is reasonable. Plus, the weather is good.
Puffer Fish wrote:https://web.archive.org/web/20110502094343/http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/04/27/spain.judge.find.job/index.html?iref=obinsite (note article is from 2011)

Kids feel entitled and only want jobs they looooove... so they get degrees in stupid shit that offers no chance for employment, and they proceed to mooch of their parents. Also the influx of cheap illegal labor from the migrants is not helping things either. Reforms should be more trade schools, closing borders, and making it harder to go to college for degrees that are useless. meaning state should not pay for college unless its for majors that help their country.
Puffer Fish wrote:My question is not about parenting, or him getting thrown out... but is this the potential future of Western Europe, and possibly other Western countries? With higher unemployment, and adult children just not being able to find jobs? Living at home until 30-35 years old?

Adult children is right. If your parents are still paying for your food/shelter/utilities etc. it means you are still a dependent. You are still a child. Age is irrelevant. You're not an adult if your mommy still buys your groceries and cooks you dinner. This is about nothing other than bad parenting. It's called "enabling". The West is filled with it unfortunately.

There's such a thing as being too nice. Every virtue, when taken to an extreme, becomes a vice.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Adult children is right. If your parents are still paying for your food/shelter/utilities etc. it means you are still a dependent. You are still a child. Age is irrelevant. You're not an adult if your mommy still buys your groceries and cooks you dinner. This is about nothing other than bad parenting. It's called "enabling". The West is filled with it unfortunately.

There's such a thing as being too nice. Every virtue, when taken to an extreme, becomes a vice.
We need economies that make it affordable for people to live independently. All too often it is simply no longer affordable to many. This needs to be addressed rather than indulging is victim blaming.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Victim blaming lol. A basement apartment is very affordable. Housing prices are high but it's not an excuse for many.

I think to some extent that really depends on which region you live in.

Which may do much to explain the diversity of opinions on this issue.

In other cases it may be more a generational issue, because people only remember how it was for them when they were young a long time ago, and just automatically assume that everything is still the same.
JohnSmith wrote:It is happening increasingly here in the UK too, exacerbated by right ring housing policies and a shortage of supply. House prices are already extortionate and growing ever more so year on year apparently without end. Private rents are at ridiculously unaffordable levels, whilst social rented housing is scarce and growing ever scarcer as it is sold off faster than it is being replaced.

related thread on that here:

Housing Costs in Amsterdam Have Gone Through the Roof - Immigration
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=179651
JohnSmith wrote:It is happening increasingly here in the UK too, exacerbated by right ring housing policies and a shortage of supply. House prices are already extortionate and growing ever more so year on year apparently without end.

The main cause of this is left wing immigration policies, that have been flooding the country with immigrants since the Second World War. And those immigrants themselves tend to have higher birth rates. Without immigration both house prices and rents would be way lower, our infrastructure and services would not be so overloaded and so much of Britain's once green and pleasant land would not have been lost to urbanisation.
Puffer Fish wrote:I think to some extent that really depends on which region you live in.

Which may do much to explain the diversity of opinions on this issue.

In other cases it may be more a generational issue, because people only remember how it was for them when they were young a long time ago, and just automatically assume that everything is still the same.

I've lived in several apartments over the last several years, and was able to save quite a bit of money for a rainy day too. I've had an apartment in one of the most expensive housing markets in the world, and I wasn't in any way well off, and I didn't even have a roommate to help pay bills. The excuses are bullshit.

60 years ago people would have 5 kids and be poor, and yet they survived. Nowadays young couples complain it's too expensive to have kids while talking on the latest Apple phone and walking their highly bred show-quality dogs costing thousands of dollars and saving up for a boob job and their annual Carribean vacation.

Our society is ill in the head and have their priorities filmy shoved up their collective asses. Things like love, children/family, community, and independence are no longer valued as they once were. Love is doing for the 'gram to get "likes", and pets are our children. PETS ARE OUR FUCKING CHILDREN. I sound like an 80 year old fart, which i'm not. I guess should have listened to my grandparents more instead of laughing at them as "out of touch" in my self-righteous ignorance. Post-Industrial society FTW.
Unthinking Majority wrote: Nowadays young couples complain it's too expensive to have kids while talking on the latest Apple phone and walking their highly bred show-quality dogs costing thousands of dollars and saving up for a boob job and their annual Carribean vacation.

Maybe you should try engaging in honest debate based upon facts instead of throwing around such pejorative caricatures. That is a ridiculous picture to paste of the struggling millions, and reeks more of your own prejudiced assumtions than actual fact-based reasoning.
JohnSmith wrote:Maybe you should try engaging in honest debate based upon facts instead of throwing around such pejorative caricatures. That is a ridiculous picture to paste of the struggling millions, and reeks more of your own prejudiced assumtions than actual fact-based reasoning.

This rebuttal contains zero facts. Pot calling kettle.

I don't apologize for calling today's humans spoiled, entitled, with values firmly up their own asses while wondering why everyone is on anti-depressants.

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]