Now reading - Page 184 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By skinster
I am still reading the excellent Gerda Lerner's The Creation of Patriarchy and David Talbot's The Devil's Chessboard. The latter is much easier to read than the former and both are enjoyable.

Aside from that I read this essay Fighting the Ninja at work today, on prison life, by a former prisoner in the US. It was good and sad in parts, the lives some people have had...

Potemkin wrote:One word @skinster: Mossad. :|

This was considered and you're probably right. I don't recall having any tabs open on the apartheid state but they might try to prevent me from learning about other stuff, I can believe it. :|

MistyTiger wrote:Didn't your nerd frands advise you to save backups of files you love and want to keep?

My nerdy tech frands know my understanding of the anything computer-related is...limited (to be polite) so we just worked on trying to save what I'd lost, and failed. It's ok. Life goes on. Felt like a nice little cleanse actually. Plus it's not as if I ever run out on shit to learn about, this is never-ending.
By Irvin Washington
I start reading Ulysses by Irish writer James Joyce. I tried to read this modernist novel several times already, but the maximum reached the third chapter. This time I want to read to the end, no matter how long it takes me. The main problem is that I study at the university now and study takes a lot of time. Besides the fact that I need to read Ulysses and a few more modernist novels in literature, I need to complete difficult problems in mathematics. I delegated the latter to the company https://assignmentbro.com/uk/do-my-math-homework Ulysses, but I will read it myself, although it will be very difficult.
Last edited by Irvin Washington on 26 Feb 2021 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
By Potemkin
Irvin Washington wrote:I start reading Ulysses by Irish writer James Joyce. I tried to read this modernist novel several times already, but the maximum reached the third chapter. This time I want to read to the end, no matter how long it takes me.

You pussy! Try reading Finnegan's Wake.... :excited:
By Potemkin
Irvin Washington wrote:Finnegan's Wake I plan to read after Ulysses.

Good luck! You'll need it. Lol. :lol:
By Heisenberg
I'm pretty sure you'll get just as much enjoyment out of reading onemalehuman's posts in "Opaque Cogitations" as you will reading Finnegans Wake, lol. Life is too short. :lol:
By Godstud
Reading The Emperor's Exile, by Simon Scarrow. Roman historical fiction at its best(Conn Iggulden is great, too).
By froggo
When i read like i think 2/3rds of Finnegans Wake as a young fellow, i found it far more appealing than Ulysses. I could not understand most of it certainly, but i think that is part of what i enjoyed about it. It has a unique visionary power, linguistically it seems like its not struggling, it is just being what it is. Ulysses i dont even think it could intrigue me beyond the first little bit.

Recently just finished Nadine Gordimer's Burger's Daughter. It is also something i probably didn't fully understand, but thats because i am just a dilettante when it comes to history and politics and such. Even so, it was about the daughter of a heroic man who was imprisoned in South Africa and the kind of life she led after he was shut away. The way she writes the book is always challenging; she purposefully does not state things in the most comprehensible manner, and yet through the vagueness a great deal is conveyed. Anyone who is the type that believes in or is even questioning the necessity of a Cause would probably be curious about this book. However, this book concerns not the valiant humanitarian, but his affected progeny and how, and whether she will come to terms with the ideals of the father.

What am i gonna read next? I really don't know. :lol: I did find an e.e. cummings novel not too long ago that i bought.... i didn't even know he had written a novel! It's called The Enormous Room and it has a beautiful cover. I might try that one.

The cover i have (yes i bought the book because of the cover!!! but i will judge it based on the content i assure you :D )
Last edited by froggo on 16 Apr 2021 11:41, edited 2 times in total.
By Godstud
I am currently reading the Sharpe series of books, by Bernard Cornwell. Sharpe's Havoc, is what I am currently reading.

At the same time, I am "reading" another Orson Scott Card book, via audiobook. It's called Children of the Mind. I think it's the 5th book in the "Enderverse" series.

Audiobooks are done very well, these days. I highly recommend them. I listen to it only in the car, when I am going places. It's great. :D

I have Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, awaiting a read, as well.
By Heisenberg
Godstud wrote:I have Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, awaiting a read, as well.

Noice. Foundation is good fun (even if the characters are barely developed beyond being vessels for Asimov's ideas).

I'm on a bit of an ancient history kick at the moment. Currently reading Persian Fire by Tom Holland, and I'm planning to read something on Alexander the Great and then Carthage afterwards. Just one of those moods. :D
By Potemkin
Heisenberg wrote:Noice. Foundation is good fun (even if the characters are barely developed beyond being vessels for Asimov's ideas).

I'm on a bit of an ancient history kick at the moment. Currently reading Persian Fire by Tom Holland, and I'm planning to read something on Alexander the Great and then Carthage afterwards. Just one of those moods. :D

Have you read Mary Renault's Alexander Trilogy yet? If not, I can strongly recommend it.
By fuser
Meh ditch Alexander, it's overblown, accept Diadochis, that's much more fun surreal and interesting. I will suggest, Alexander to Actium by Peter Green. :D

Also, Foundation feels dated and frankly quite boring tbh. Right now I am hooked into the Scottish sci-fi drug Iain M Banks, still thinking about the damn chair and it's been two months since I finished Use of Weapons.
By MistyTiger
Rugoz wrote:Asimov is a terrible writer, as far as I can tell. Seems to be a common problem in sci-fi. I find Le Guin really good.

What do you think of Ray Bradbury? I found Martian Chronicles to be boring.
By MadMonk
Now that I have some time off work I've decided to get some reading done. Just ordered a fuckton of books based on recommendations from this thread.

In a few weeks or months I'll report which of you are my icons or my mortal enemies for life. :p
By Godstud
@Rugoz Poul Anderson and Larry Niven are very good sci-fi writers, as is Joe Haldeman. Orson Scott Card is a GREAT sci-fi writer.
By Rugoz
MistyTiger wrote:What do you think of Ray Bradbury? I found Martian Chronicles to be boring.

Haven't read anything from him.

Godstud wrote:Poul Anderson and Larry Niven are very good sci-fi writers, as is Joe Haldeman. Orson Scott Card is a GREAT sci-fi writer.

I'm kind of tired of space opera. I already read the Red Rising series based on your recommendation and it was objectively terrible yet strangely addicting. :D

Edit: I don't know what I was referring to with "objectively terrible", but it's well written so not that. :lol:
By Drlee
Asimov is not bad for what he is for. He is an entertainer.

He wrote the best two-volume autobiography I have ever read. (If you get the humor in it.)

Larry Niven's Ringworld stuff is about the same.
By late
fuser wrote:
Right now I am hooked into the Scottish sci-fi drug Iain M Banks, still thinking about the damn chair and it's been two months since I finished Use of Weapons.

I like Ian M Banks. He said in an interview that he wanted to create a future in which libertarian ideas would work well.

Which is nonsense, AI provides a hidden governmental structure in his books, but whatever, he writes good scifi.

Have you tried A Lee Martinez? You want to stick with his early work, but I quite enjoyed those books.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Detective-Lee-Martinez/dp/0765318342/ref=sr_1_1?crid=100T477LP80GY&dchild=1&keywords=the+automatic+detective+by+a.+lee+martinez&qid=1619961956&sprefix=the+automatic+detective%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1
Have you tried the Commonwealth Saga? It starts with Pandora's Star.

https://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Star-Commonwealth-Peter-Hamilton/dp/0345479211/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=pandoras+star&qid=1619962116&sr=8-1

Armenia is joining the sanctions against the Russi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Why would you Americans care? People (not just[…]

Claims that mainstream economics is changing rad[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]